1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    $16 today I wonder...
    04-01-13 10:26 AM
    $16 today I wonder...
    I think its possible but not probable. We definitly have a huge uptrend today tho
    04-01-13 10:27 AM
    A BB Subscriber is the one who subscribes certain BB services by paying a fee (monthly, annually or prepaid) to Blackberry.
    If a BB phone owner does not subscribe the service provided by BB (such as most Z10 owners) and pay no fee, then he or she is not a BB subscriber. On the other hand, if any other smartphone owner (such as iPhone or Android phone), who subscribes certain BB services by paying a fee is counted as BB subscriber.
    Make sense?
    Depends what you're trying to gauge with that metric. If it's those who pay any amount to BB at regular intervals, under some contractual obligation, then that would be accurate.

It ignores other possible sources of revenue, however, such as BBWorld downloads (apps, music, video) and pay-per-use services.

It also ignores that with certain types of services, a BB "user" (not "subscriber" per your definition) may choose to start paying for a subscription-based service at any time, and then later stop paying. And then start paying again. Heck, they might start paying just after a quarter begins, and stop paying just before it ends, and you'd miss counting them at all with the now-simplistic "subscriber" model.

BB has said they're basically moving to a model where they count anyone who potentially could be generating revenue any of those ways, whether they currently do or not. They'll be looking more at the service/fee revenue than simply the number of people who could provide it.

As someone noted above or in another thread, in the past most subscribers were paying a similar amount, so the "subscriber number" metric was a convenient short-hand for how well RIM was going to be doing on service fees. That's no longer as useful a metric from a financial reporting point of view, so I expect that to be de-emphasized a bit in favour of "how much money did we make from services sold to BB users".

As they said in the earnings report, what matters is not the number of users, but the money they actually make from them...
    bungaboy and bigbbrybeliever like this.
    04-01-13 10:27 AM
    I think what we are seeing here is an orderly procession to the exit door for some shorts
    Be nice to see them killing each other trying to get out...lol
    04-01-13 10:28 AM
    I think what we are seeing here is an orderly procession to the exit door for some shorts
    May turn into "panic buying" :P
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-01-13 10:29 AM
    $16 today I wonder...
    I had 15.75 typed out then canceled it lol...if it climbs that high (16.00) we should be somewhere in the 1.75 gain then with the second level programs kicking in etc.

Lets hope
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-01-13 10:30 AM
    BB to Shorts theme song.

Shanerredflag and helopilot06 like this.
    $16 today I wonder...
    might very well with BB today. Live and hope.
    bungaboy likes this.
    Let me try to provide the definition:
    A BB Subscriber is the one who subscribes certain BB services by paying a fee (monthly, annually or prepaid) to Blackberry.
    If a BB phone owner does not subscribe the service provided by BB (such as most Z10 owners) and pay no fee, then he or she is not a BB subscriber. On the other hand, if any other smartphone owner (such as iPhone or Android phone), who subscribes certain BB services by paying a fee is counted as BB subscriber.
    Make sense?
    Crystal clear, thanks
    DragonFlyer likes this.
    BB was nearing $17 when news broke ATT dropped the ball on the introduction of Z10, now over the weekend we get reports that Verizon is doing quite a good job,
    of course in the meantime we had earnings, so what would stop BB from going back over $17, as the ATT fumble now seems like it is just ATT being ATT...
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-01-13 10:33 AM
    Depends what you're trying to gauge with that metric. If it's those who pay any amount to BB at regular intervals, under some contractual obligation, then that would be accurate.

It ignores other possible sources of revenue, however, such as BBWorld downloads (apps, music, video) and pay-per-use services.

It also ignores that with certain types of services, a BB "user" (not "subscriber" per your definition) may choose to start paying for a subscription-based service at any time, and then later stop paying. And then start paying again. Heck, they might start paying just after a quarter begins, and stop paying just before it ends, and you'd miss counting them at all with the now-simplistic "subscriber" model.

BB has said they're basically moving to a model where they count anyone who potentially could be generating revenue any of those ways, whether they currently do or not. They'll be looking more at the service/fee revenue than simply the number of people who could provide it.

As someone noted above or in another thread, in the past most subscribers were paying a similar amount, so the "subscriber number" metric was a convenient short-hand for how well RIM was going to be doing on service fees. That's no longer as useful a metric from a financial reporting point of view, so I expect that to be de-emphasized a bit in favour of "how much money did we make from services sold to BB users".

As they said in the earnings report, what matters is not the number of users, but the money they actually make from them...
    You provided a more fine tuning to the definition. Thank you.
    peter9477 and joe.miller like this.
    04-01-13 10:35 AM
    George Kesarios has a theory about the shorts which, while I don't fully understand it (not being a financial wizard type like some of you), seem to me to be suggesting this is not quite the same sort of short scenario as one might expect would trigger a huge squeeze any time soon: An Explanation For BlackBerry's Short Interest Spike - Seeking Alpha

He seems to be saying it's largely because of the very high volume, and massive day trading. Anyone really understand his point, and if so what do you think are the implications?
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-01-13 10:37 AM
    BB to Shorts theme song.

I remember watching this episode lol...the good ol days.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-01-13 10:37 AM
    Is there a hidden message here?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-apple666.jpg
    04-01-13 10:40 AM
    04-01-13 10:41 AM
    Is there a hidden message here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple666.JPG 
Views:	427 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	146208
    This could get ugly for them...free fall if 5s and 6 don't innovate the heck out of the industry...which they won’t, finger print biometric? Please!
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-01-13 10:44 AM
    George Kesarios has a theory about the shorts which, while I don't fully understand it (not being a financial wizard type like some of you), seem to me to be suggesting this is not quite the same sort of short scenario as one might expect would trigger a huge squeeze any time soon: An Explanation For BlackBerry's Short Interest Spike - Seeking AlphaHe seems to be saying it's largely because of the very high volume, and massive day trading. Anyone really understand his point, and if so what do you think are the implications?
    George is very good. I havent read the article yet but he is usually spot-on with his analysis, expecially when it comes to BBRY. He has been on our side for quite some time
    04-01-13 10:48 AM
    today is looking good, over 5% green I feel like we are about due for some positive news from blackberry or a carrier to say how the roll-out is going or release a new OTA update for 10.1 or similar.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    04-01-13 10:52 AM
    George is very good. I havent read the article yet but he is usually spot-on with his analysis, expecially when it comes to BBRY. He has been on our side for quite some time
    I know. That's why I'd like to have someone translate it into terms I can understand. ;-)
    04-01-13 10:52 AM
    I know. That's why I'd like to have someone translate it into terms I can understand. ;-)
    ditto
    04-01-13 10:53 AM
    They tried pulling it down again but only hot to $14.90s...lol
    04-01-13 11:04 AM
    04-01-13 11:06 AM
    My read is that he is saying it is not about BlackBerry as a Company or it's products. It is about the volitility and how much big money the day traders are making each and every day off this manufactured volitility.

The Day Traders are onto a full teat and are sucking for all they can get.
    bergeron37 likes this.
    04-01-13 11:07 AM
    They tried pulling it down again but only hot to $14.90s...lol
    Yes. Quite the battle today.
    04-01-13 11:08 AM
    More good news

CIBC World Markets today hiked its price target on shares of Research In Motion Ltd. to $20 (U.S.) from $17 in the wake of the BlackBerry maker's surprise fourth-quarter profit last week.

"Now is a good time to buy," said analyst Todd Coupland, citing the fact that the company shipped 1 million of its new BlackBerry 10 devices in the quarter, more than half to non-BlackBerry users.

Those touch-screen devices, among 6 million shipped in total in a global launch that did not include the U.S. market, were BB Z10 models.

Next up is the keyboard version, the BB Q10, which launches this month and is now being tested by more than 40 wireless carriers in 20 countries, Mr. Coupland noted.

Mr. Coupland expects first-quarter shipments of 6.8 million devices, some 2.75 million of them the new BB10s and 4 million of the older devices.

Estimates for the 2014 fiscal year will move higher based on the staggered rollouts, he added in his research note, titled "Right sized and ready for earnings leverage."

Last week, RIM posted a turnaround profit of $98-million or 19 cents a share, compared to a loss a year earlier of $125-million or 24 cents.

Revenue of $2.7-billion was down a hefty 36 per cent from a year earlier, while the company, which is changing its name to BlackBerry, also lost 3 million users from its subscriber base.
    04-01-13 11:12 AM
113,256 ... 559560561562563 ...