View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I cant believe what i just read.... Second Opinion Weekly just downgraded BBRY to Avoid. Its dated 4/1/2013 so I guess preemptively posting it for monday trading... seriously?
    Do you have a link? This garbage has to stop, its to the point of being criminal!!
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-31-13 06:07 AM
    Do you have a link? This garbage has to stop, its to the point of being criminal!!
    https://research.scottrade.com/qnr/S...UAFFPDLBTUMKUO
    03-31-13 06:13 AM
    Can't see the Scott trade thing without an account there.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-31-13 06:44 AM
    Ill see if i can copy paste what it says
    03-31-13 06:45 AM
    Even better here is the attachment
    Attached Files
    03-31-13 06:48 AM
    I cant believe what i just read.... Second Opinion Weekly just downgraded BBRY to Avoid. Its dated 4/1/2013 so I guess preemptively posting it for monday trading... seriously?
    Downgrade to AVOID. Wow. Unbelievable. When is sec going to start taking action.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-31-13 06:49 AM
    Downgrade to AVOID. Wow. Unbelievable. When is sec going to start taking action.

Posted via CB10
    never. Obviously they dont give a crap.
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-31-13 06:49 AM
    Thanks. Seems they taking a very short term stance and give target price just under $14. Doesn't seem like best assessment I've read

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-31-13 06:53 AM
    Thanks. Seems they taking a very short term stance and give target price just under $14. Doesn't seem like best assessment I've read

Posted via CB10
    Honestly its an extremely short sighted assessment. From what i can tell they are looking at basically the last week and rating it on that in stead of the trend over the last 6 months. They are worried about the short positions which is understandable but thats not enough to take a company with a solid financial sheet down to Avoid
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-31-13 06:56 AM
    I should have known better
    Kinda sorta?
    DragonFlyer, Bugmapper and CDM76 like this.
    03-31-13 07:00 AM
    Sorry all i was in the ER with my lil boy but hes ok now and im back
    So glad to hear all is well.
    helopilot06 likes this.
    03-31-13 07:01 AM
    Let's see what Morgan and the other TAs guys have to say about this.
    03-31-13 07:08 AM
    Wait a minute... these guys are nobody. Who's ever heard of them before?

And I don't think it's actually an "analyst", just one of the bazillion companies that have mysteriously sprung up lately that publish things that are dressed up to look highly technical and professional, but which even they don't claim represents an actual expectation of performance, but merely some calculation (which they no doubt apply consistently to all the stocks) which comes up with certain numbers. That way they don't have to actually stand behind their rating and try to justify it: "it's just what the numbers say".

Is there any reason to grant them the apparent credibility our eyeballs would give them?
    03-31-13 07:17 AM
    Some mentioned "Tort law" earlier in this post. I didn't know what it meant so I looked it up.

Tort

A body of rights, obligations, and remedies that is applied by courts in civil proceedings to provide relief for persons who have suffered harm from the wrongful acts of others. The person who sustains injury or suffers pecuniary damage as the result of tortious conduct is known as the plaintiff, and the person who is responsible for inflicting the injury and incurs liability for the damage is known as the defendant or tortfeasor.

Three elements must be established in every tort action. First, the plaintiff must establish that the defendant was under a legal duty to act in a particular fashion. Second, the plaintiff must demonstrate that the defendant breached this duty by failing to conform his or her behavior accordingly. Third, the plaintiff must prove that he suffered injury or loss as a direct result of the defendant's breach.

The law of torts is derived from a combination of common-law principles and legislative enactments. Unlike actions for breach of contract, tort actions are not dependent upon an agreement between the parties to a lawsuit. Unlike criminal prosecutions, which are brought by the government, tort actions are brought by private citizens. Remedies for tortious acts include money damages and injunctions (court orders compelling or forbidding particular conduct). Tortfeasors are subject to neither fine nor incarceration in civil court.
    03-31-13 07:23 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg

This doesn't look right to me.
    Anyone care to explain.
    03-31-13 07:33 AM
    Hmmmm

Selected Apple iMessage users hit by DDoS attack, forcing iOS app crash

Tech Radar

Saturday, March 30, 2013 4:30 PM GMT

A group of iOS developers and hackers are reporting they've become the target of a malicious attack which overwhelms the Apple iMessage application with spam texts.

The attack, which appears to be confined to those directly targeted, sends messages (claiming to be from Anonymous) in such a large volume that the recipient is constantly receiving notifications.

The next level is to send a single 'Zaglo text' so large in size that the iOS iMessage app cannot cope with the load and crashes.

As Apple's iMessage app does not limit how fast texts can be sent, and does not allow users to block senders, there's no mechanism in place to prevent their instant delivery.

This constitues a new kind of DDoS attack, the kind of which we've seen hackers and online activists use to bring down government websites in the past couple of years.

The iMessage pranksters' motivation isn't totally clear at present, but The Next Web reports that the attack originated from a Twitter account "involved in selling UDIDs, provisioning profiles and more that facilitate in the installation of pirated App Store apps which are re-signed and distributed."

The report suggests that the attack was conducted using AppleScript to set up and send the overwhelming number of messages using the OS X iMessage client, something one victim said was extremely easy to do.

iOS developer Paul Grant told The Next Web: "What's happening is a simple flood: Apple doesn't seem to limit how fast messages can be sent, so the attacker is able to send thousands of messages very quickly."

Apple has been notified of the issue, but is yet to comment.
    03-31-13 07:39 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	145674

This doesn't look right to me.
    Anyone care to explain.
    Looking at their math I think the only thing that kept them out of Grade 5 was . . . . . . . Grade 4!
    03-31-13 07:43 AM
    FYI...I was watching American Restoration last evening and the brother was using a black Z10...kinda neat.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 07:52 AM
    Interesting perspective on QWERTY keyboard phones.

Where Have All The Physical QWERTYs Gone?

Where Have All The Physical QWERTYs Gone? | TechCrunch

Steve O'Hear

posted yesterday

It’s approaching three years since I emailed and got a reply from the late Steve Jobs. The topic of my caffeine-fueled missive that sunny day in June 2010 was the industry’s move towards touch-based interfaces and, specifically, Apple’s one-size-fits-all approach regarding the iPhone’s lack of a physical QWERTY keyboard.

I have a disability that can make touch and other physically demanding interfaces more challenging, I explained to Jobs, and whereas the mouse-driven GUI that he helped usher in with the Macintosh had inadvertently put me on a level playing field, were touch to ever become the dominant mode of input, it had the potential to turn that world upside down.

“That’s obviously a bit dramatic”, I wrote on TechCrunch at the time. “There will always be lots of different products on the market, but it’s a possibility nonetheless.” Fast forward to 2013 and what was only a possibility has all but become a reality. Survey the mobile landscape and it’s filled with people fondling their giant slabs of touch, happily typing away on glass.

At this point I know I’ll likely get ripped apart in the comments. In the battle of the physical vs virtual QWERTY, the market has spoken, they’ll say, and those who don’t favour touch are squarely out of touch. And sadly, the evidence is heavily stacked on their side of the argument.

Survey the mobile landscape and it’s filled with people fondling their giant slabs of touch, happily typing away on glass

In the first few years of the iPhone’s existence, a ton of hybrid physical QWERTY/touch smartphones from competitors entered the market, ready to differentiate themselves from Apple by talking up their superior typing experience. But they failed to stop the Cupertino juggernaught. Typing on glass, while not ideal, was good enough. Arguably it wasn’t until Android OEMs ditched their, largely, clunky slide-out keyboards and wholesale copied and then supersized Apple’s all touch form-factor, did they begin to turn back the tide.

Meanwhile, continues the argument, the likes of Nokia fell by the wayside, plagued by an antiquated user interface that, in a desperate and confused attempt to respond to the market, tried and failed to crowbar in touch before the company finally jumped onto Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform, sans physical QWERTY.

Furthermore, BlackBerry, which seemingly built its whole business off the back of its physical QWERTY-touting credentials, chose to release its first comeback device as the BB10-powered Z10, another all touch grey slab, rather than the Q10, which combines touch with a physical QWERTY in the best BlackBerry candybar tradition. It’s also been suggested that the Canadian handset maker may even view the Q10’s hybrid approach as a way to wean its traditional customers off a physical keyboard entirely, a gateway device if you will.

So yes, putting aside the fact that the market can only speak to what is put in front of it — I can’t recall a single candybar QWERTY powered by Android that was anything more than a mid-tier or low end device — it would seem that the market has indeed spoken.

But it may not have had the final word yet.

That’s if — and it’s a big if — the BlackBerry Q10, when it finally hits the market next month, surprises everybody and sells in sufficient numbers to smash through the totalitarian all touch screen. And just like the Mac had ensured before it, for this hack and others like me, 2013 won’t be like 1984 after all.
    03-31-13 07:57 AM
    Makes sense.

An Explanation For BlackBerry's Short Interest Spike
    Mar 31 2013, 01:17 by: George Kesarios

An Explanation For BlackBerry's Short Interest Spike - Seeking Alpha

| about: BBRY Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article. (More...)

If you haven't noticed, short interest in BlackBerry's (BBRY) shares has increased once again to a new record. As of the record date March the 15th 2013, short interest stands at 155 million shares.

(click to enlarge)

In a recent note, Citigroup says that BlackBerry has the highest short interest by far of any maker of tech products that the brokerage firm covers. In fact, 155 million shares represent 31% of the outstanding shares of the company.

Obviously, this increase happened before BlackBerry's most recent quarterly announcement and has nothing to do with the company's Fourth Quarter year-end fiscal 2013 results.

But as I see it, even if BlackBerry reported a loss, that is still not a reason for traders to open short positions against the stock.

Besides the fact that this company has officially turned around and was not going out of business to begin with, this company is trading below book value, has a price/sales ratio of less than one, and lastly has a solid balance sheet and above all is profitable.

Let's see what some of the analysts who cover BlackBerry had to say about the company's recent results:

Rric Jackson, founder and managing partner of Ironfire Capital which owns BlackBerry shares said:

All in all I'm happy because I think the majority seemed to be expecting the world to cave in on them and that didn't happen. They blew away expectations on the bottom line. They're pretty good at managing their business and grinding all the profits out of it that they can. They probably underestimated the impact the core cost reduction program was going to have on the business.

Peter Misek, analyst at Jefferies & Co said:

Those were really solid results, those earnings are awesome, the gross margin blew everybody out of the water, that was fantastic. The z10 has a much stronger gross margin and asp (average selling price) than people realize. They're making money. The corporate part of their subscription business is remaining strong, the consumer side, as they said, is going to decline here in the near term. overall, this is step one on the recovery ladder and a very, very, very good result. The service revenue held up frankly as we expected. The overall revenue number missed because they sold about a million less of the non-blackberry 10 handsets, but frankly, they were losing money on every one of those handsets they sold, so I don't care. They said they were going to burn $500 million of cash and they effectively didn't burn anything, that was remarkable.

Brian Colello, senior equity analyst, Morningstar said:

I think the encouraging thing is that BlackBerry was still able to sell a good portion of older models, generate solid service revenue during the transition. I think that will be important in terms of cash balance and profitability. I think the jumping off point for Z10 sales was important as well, and then from a financial standpoint, the fact that he cash held up well, that operating expenses were relatively held in check are encouraging signs. Obviously the bigger issue is BlackBerry 10 sales going forward, but if you do look back at the February quarter, I think you had more positives than negatives. Profitability was better than expected and I think marketing, all the ad costs for BlackBerry 10, were relatively constrained.

I can find only one reason to explain the spike in short interest, and it has nothing to do with the company itself. Please have a look at the chart below:

(click to enlarge)

The chart above shows the daily trade volume of BlackBerry. As you can see, for the past several months, daily volume has gone off the scale. Please notice the one day volume of 220 million shares on the 30th of January. Mind you, It is not normal for 50% of the total float to change hands in one day.

Obviously, this stock has become a traders' delight. Almost on a daily basis BlackBerry registers as one of the top 10 stocks with the most trade volume in the U.S. In fact, almost on a daily basis, more than 20% of the total float changes hands.

So my explanation for the short interest has to do with the tremendous surge in trading volume. On a daily basis traders buy and sell, open and close short position on a massive scale.

So the more the average daily volume, the more the short interest, because more and more traders are day-trading BlackBerry like crazy. And as you might know, many times day-traders open short positions on a 5 minute time frame and close then again five minutes later. The more the trading volume, the more the short interest in the stock as a result.

Bottom line

As I see it, the spike in BlackBerry's short interest probably has nothing to do with the fundamentals of the stock, but with the fact that average daily trading volume is off the scale and nothing else.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    03-31-13 08:08 AM
    Happy Easter. Looks like April Fools tomorrow too...
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    03-31-13 08:11 AM
    03-31-13 08:29 AM
    03-31-13 08:30 AM
    03-31-13 08:31 AM
    03-31-13 08:32 AM
113,256 ... 551552553554555 ...