View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The press release about carrier testing was huge. It eased a lot of the doubts around RIM keeping the Q1 release date, and the stock price reflects that confidence.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-02-12 09:48 AM
    Buy RIM shares? You kidding right? Haven't you seen how fast they are dropping? Would you like to lose money? I think not.
    Especially since RIMM is not a dividend-paying stock the only way to make money is to buy and sell at the right moment. Research In Motion is worse than playing the lottery; at least lotteries have a winner even if the jackpot rolls over multiple times until a winner is declared.
    11-02-12 10:01 AM
    Especially since RIMM is not a dividend-paying stock the only way to make money is to buy and sell at the right moment. Research In Motion is worse than playing the lottery; at least lotteries have a winner even if the jackpot rolls over multiple times until a winner is declared.
    Because you (seem to) believe the sole investment strategy is short-term, but if you consider mid-long term, then this is totally another story. Most of the contributors of this thread are not traders, they put a small (not to say tiny) amount of available cash into RIM because they believe they will be back in the run for the #1 spot within 3-5 years. This is what I believe and I expect my "10 restaurants bills" investment to buy my daughters an used car when they go 18. Basic, simple and far from a lottery game, IMHO.
    Knightcrawler and elmit22 like this.
    11-02-12 11:06 AM
    Because you (seem to) believe the sole investment strategy is short-term, but if you consider mid-long term, then this is totally another story. Most of the contributors of this thread are not traders, they put a small (not to say tiny) amount of available cash into RIM because they believe they will be back in the run for the #1 spot within 3-5 years. This is what I believe and I expect my "10 restaurants bills" investment to buy my daughters an used car when they go 18. Basic, simple and far from a lottery game, IMHO.
    It's more like a crapshoot.
    11-02-12 12:08 PM
    Welcome to "the club" ! Prepare for some friendly bashing stay.calm
    always my friend, always.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-02-12 02:11 PM
    Except it's not...As someone pointed out in another thread, RIMM has lost 90% of it's share in a year. I think the main play on this was the fact that people saw BlackBerry smartphones as a dying technology.

If RIM has a successful launch with BB10, and furthermore, if their MDM solution becomes unmatched by any other product currently out there, then I believe that you will see RIMM stock start to climb.

With technology the way it is, it isn't uncommon to see companies as specialized as RIM grow 500% and fall 90% within a 5 year span. What keeps them from growing 500% again?

And as said, I only invest about 20% of my overall disposable income into stocks. I'm not buying and selling on a daily basis. More in it for the long haul (with possible selling points in there if I predict that the market will drop...in which if it doesn't I can just buy back in for a theoretical loss)...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-02-12 02:24 PM
    Hey, how do u buy shares? I am from Ecuador and want to buy some shares.

Thanks for ur help.
    11-02-12 02:43 PM

Thanks for ur help.
    Talk to your broker. You might have some laws in your country regarding buying stocks listed in foreign countries.
    11-02-12 03:19 PM

Thanks for ur help.
    Talk to your broker. You might have some laws in your country regarding buying stocks listed in foreign countries.
    For a first time, I presume your bank rep is a good start. You will probably have some extra fees (so that I won't suggest you do it that way if you intend to buy/sale frequently; those fees would mostly ruin your gains) but it's an easy way to go. Alternatively, you can target brokers online ... but keep on big names for mid-long term investments.
    Remember : never engage more than 15% of your available cash.
    11-03-12 05:40 AM
    How much commission do you pay on 50 shares?
    I pay $7 per trade.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-03-12 07:01 AM
    And there we go, the $9 resistance has dropped today ... what will be aftermarket ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-06-12 at 11:48 AM.
    11-05-12 12:17 PM
    And there we go, the $9 resistance has dropped today ... what will be aftermarket ?
    well, that's a nine ! Let's go for the 10 !

Edited : can someone enlighten me of what that means (current value against 1yr est, 2nd graph) ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg   The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-06-12 at 12:03 PM.
    11-06-12 11:49 AM
    Except it's not...As someone pointed out in another thread, RIMM has lost 90% of it's share in a year. I think the main play on this was the fact that people saw BlackBerry smartphones as a dying technology.

If RIM has a successful launch with BB10, and furthermore, if their MDM solution becomes unmatched by any other product currently out there, then I believe that you will see RIMM stock start to climb.

With technology the way it is, it isn't uncommon to see companies as specialized as RIM grow 500% and fall 90% within a 5 year span. What keeps them from growing 500% again?

And as said, I only invest about 20% of my overall disposable income into stocks. I'm not buying and selling on a daily basis. More in it for the long haul (with possible selling points in there if I predict that the market will drop...in which if it doesn't I can just buy back in for a theoretical loss)...
    Those are some BIG IF's
    BB10 has to be a BETTER Platform than what Android and Apple currently have, because they are starting out at the bottom now. If RIM releases a "product" that is just almost as good, then why would an average consumer even consider it. Normally they only would if the product were highly discounted - that is how car manufactures like KIA and HYUNDAI were able to break into the highly competitive car market - PRICE. But RIM can't afford to start out as a discount manufacture. So they need a product that is more attractive to consumers than the current products at the same price points. I think that BB10 devices will be at least equal to what the "others guys" have (but they'll never be able to keep up with the newest Android device release ever 3 months), and while BB10 appears to be a modern OS I haven't see anything that will make the average guy on the street go WOW that's new. What I haven't see from RIM yet, or even heard rumors of is how they will address the lack of an ecosystem that will support the new devices.

RIM has a LONG way to go before you see them trading at $100 a share again. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just that it will require a lot more than we have seen so far.

That said I believe that $9 is still a good buy for RIMM's stock based on what assists they currently have.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-06-12 12:16 PM
    well, that's a nine ! Let's go for the 10 !

Edited : can someone enlighten me of what that means (current value against 1yr est, 2nd graph) ?
    The 1-year target price estimate represents the median target price as forecast by analysts covering the stock.

You are kidding when you asked for clarification of what this means...right?!
    11-07-12 06:08 AM
    The 1-year target price estimate represents the median target price as forecast by analysts covering the stock.
    You are kidding when you asked for clarification of what this means...right?!
    No, I wasn't ... maybe a *little* ironic though . I believe I'm a little more today when I see the below chart.
    This comforts me trusting this insightful advice :
    Ignore things like "average 1 year target". Useless info.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    11-07-12 08:14 AM
    This is the current after-hours ...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png

"And now, ladies and gentlemen" ... fasten your seat belts ?
    Press Release: BlackBerry 10 Launch Event to be Held January 30th, 2013!!!!!!!!!! | CrackBerry.com

hop, hop, edit :

And watch the news section ... (#BB10 is already a trend in TW btw)

Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png   The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-12-12 at 07:38 AM.
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    11-12-12 06:33 AM
    Was expecting a bigger move in the market today. Shares nose dive on the slightest bad news and on news like this no real movement. Maybe tomorrow will be better....
    11-12-12 08:07 PM
    Was expecting a bigger move in the market today. Shares nose dive on the slightest bad news and on news like this no real movement. Maybe tomorrow will be better....
    No real movement ? +3.5% (after an initial jump up to +7%) in a negative Nasdac ( something like -0.02%) is quite a performance !
    $8.5 resistance is broken for good.
    Consensus says if it can stand broken for at least a week then the next one is $9 resistance.
    If hit and maintained, to road to $11 (or more) is wide open, even BEFORE BB10 launch.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    11-13-12 01:42 AM
    so whats up with the stock today? any idea why it dropped over 4% today??
    11-13-12 09:14 PM
    I made another significant investment today!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-13-12 09:52 PM
    What brokerage do you guys use? Never really traded/bought stock before. I think I want to buy some of these and hold on to them long-term.
    11-14-12 03:57 AM
    so whats up with the stock today? any idea why it dropped over 4% today??
    We know a day basis move is hard to explain if there isn't significant news. I'd personally think some took their profits as the stock has been rising fast theses days.
    Unfortunately, this leads the stock price just below "my" resistance point watch ($8.50). I would like to see the stock above $8.50 for at least a whole week ... this would be a great signal.
    11-14-12 04:28 AM
    My first post here...I bought 3800 shares not too long ago and thinking of selling before the product launch... unless i see a really great market response , in which case i might hold on a bit longer... Was this a bad/stupid move ? what u guys think ?
    11-14-12 06:37 AM
    My first post here...I bought 3800 shares not too long ago and thinking of selling before the product launch... unless i see a really great market response , in which case i might hold on a bit longer... Was this a bad/stupid move ? what u guys think ?
    If you think you are going to receive a valid, actionable opinion on a fan forum, specially on a thread like this one rife with stock market fallacies and wishful thinking on every page, then you shouldn't be trading at all.
    brucep1 likes this.
    11-14-12 06:50 AM
    If you think you are going to receive a valid, actionable opinion on a fan forum, specially on a thread like this one rife with stock market fallacies and wishful thinking on every page, then you shouldn't be trading at all.
    Hopefully, s0be, you'll find also friendly people that could tell you there are several options regading your investment, depending on your objectives.
    Yesterday, a good friend of mine (a former Euronext executive) reminds me the - to his eyes - basic principle : "if you can have a gain : take it". This sure goes for daily traders that can manage express and low cost transaction but still is a very valid point. If you can afford doing this, it may be the best way to go (watch your trading costs though). BTW, welcome to the CrackBerry Forums !

On my own, I've decided initialy I was expecting nothing but 2 digits raise, so that my investment was a "set and let go" for a 3-5 years period, unless the stock went crazy up before.

@notafanboy: badly there's also some having such a high opinion of oneself they consider others as painful crap. Despite their supposed high level, they perpetually spread bitter and negativity, yet they never answer ... they just keep on bashing. If s0be have bought in the $7 - $7.50 area and have reasonable fees, he did a very smart move as of date; whatever his strategy is for the future. I don't understand why you keep on commenting here ??? are you short RIM or long APPL ??? mystery. Save you time (and ours).
    Prince_Poppycock and s0be like this.
    11-14-12 08:06 AM
113,250 ... 3334353637 ...