427 37.82%
    Squeeeeeeeeeze
    02-05-13 09:42 AM
    dam lots of volume today already over 48 million
    if it cracks $17 i will have ashot of whiskey tonite
    Only one? LoL
    02-05-13 09:43 AM
    Hi everyone!

I see there is a couple of requests for an update so here is the latest chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-feb-5-2012-chart.jpg

I haven't commented on the stock simply because it is following the trend lines perfectly. We got decent news on Monday as expected, the stock bounced off the powerful 50-dma with a gap opening and never looked back. Surprisingly, the $ 15.00/shr mark is the final resistance all the way to $ 17.18/shr. We are enroute to that level now. I still say we see $ 20.00/shr by the end of this month, and possibly higher, but I'll have to look at it then. We are filling a gap right now, that should be easy from here. I will go on record again as saying that none of this trading or volume is old money covering short positions, or the classic short squeeze. This volume is related to new money that shorted the stock down to $ 12.00/shr last week. I also bet that the large short position is getting larger and will come in above 135 million. There is a fine line between shorting a stock to get the price down to make money on cheap Puts, and buying it back again to cover those shorts, at some point, you don't make any money, and that's when the real short covering kicks in. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I read a comment about a possible "Head and Shoulders" pattern forming, I would say that at no time in the last 5 months has there been greater than a 1% chance of that happening. It's not even a factor in trading here. If you think there was something forming post a chart indicating where you saw the formation and I will be happy to show you how the trade could not happen.

I will post more charts if you need them but this is a typical rally within the trendlines and you just have to time things and write covered calls or sell some stock as we approach the top this time around. I still have this gut feeling that BlackBerry has fullfilled their launch and this opens the door to announce a strong partnership. Remember, the world claimed that noone would look at BB until the software launched and was proven successful, I think we have arrived. Good luck!!

Got to go pickup my new phone!!!! Ha!!!
    and there goes any resistance to US$16.50 and still climbing. (and still in the channel)
    knocking at US$16.75... will that door open too??
    Seems to be some resistance around 16.50 -16.70.
    02-05-13 09:48 AM
    This is the squeeze ... its happening again now. If anyone has shares set a sell at high price. Tweet to nasdaq crew if someone can ... I don't have an account. Bb10 is the real deal! Long and strong.
    Are you serious? Please don't misinform the public.

THIS IS NOT A SQUEEZE!!!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE.
    Acumenight likes this.
    02-05-13 09:57 AM
    slipping back to 16$ fine with me as long as we get a nice up move. Got a nice bounce when it it 16.07, suggesting there are ppl to buy in at that price

edit: maybe not

edit2: looks like profit taking
    02-05-13 10:05 AM
    59MM in 1.5hrs of trading is great volume on a decent gap up.
    02-05-13 10:07 AM
    86 million volume and it's not even noon, and the price is back at $16.27.

Holy vertigo, Batman! Good luck trying to time things today. Maybe $20 by the end of the week. Strong sales is driving this rally now.

Another post says BlackBerry means moving forward. Guess they were referring to the stock.
    02-05-13 10:45 AM
    And back up she goes....got my phone...the small corporate store I went to four people working and opened early...not sure they needed to as there was only me and another fellow there at 8. That said two others walked in as we were leaving and both were there for the Z so appears steady. I asked how many devices that store brought in and all they could get were 18, all spoken for and not sure when more would become available.

I think it's safe to say its a very successful roll out here...extrapolate those #'s (assuming they are average) across all carriers/retail service providers and wow...pretty big number.
    02-05-13 10:52 AM
    dam lots of volume today already over 48 million
    if it cracks $17 i will have ashot of whiskey tonite
    Just a shot? And you need an excuse?
    02-05-13 10:57 AM
    hope people made some money today! *cheers

@morganplus8 thank you for the update!
    02-05-13 11:15 AM
    hope people made some money today! *cheers

@morganplus8 thank you for the update!
    I'm trying to make some money, but need it to go up a bit more. I need some free cash to buy some more TSLA.
    02-05-13 11:23 AM
    Another monstrous rally fellas!
    02-05-13 11:26 AM
    Not monstrous yet.

The day is only half over, give it a little more time.

Thorsten's got a meeting with investors today at 1 where he'll probably be offering some guidance. Expect good news and more activity by then.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    02-05-13 11:37 AM
    some selling going on now
    02-05-13 12:06 PM
    Not monstrous yet.

Thorsten's got a meeting with investors today at 1 where he'll probably be offering some guidance. Expect good news and more activity by then.
    Any link for this investors meeting?
    02-05-13 12:31 PM
    Any link for this investors meeting?
    I think he's referring to Empire Club luncheon in which Heins speaking at. You can see the tweets here.

https://twitter.com/iainmarlow
    Shanerredflag and duckJAI like this.
    02-05-13 12:46 PM
    Not monstrous yet.

some guidance? oh come on, that would be selective disclosure and that would land him in pinstripes and behind bars, so not gonna happen...
    q649 likes this.
    02-05-13 12:51 PM
    More dandy news . . . . . Loving it!

RIM at head of pack in patent prowess

BARRIE MCKENNA
    Ottawa — The Globe and Mail
    Published Tuesday, Feb. 05 2013, 1:21 PM EST
    Last updated Tuesday, Feb. 05 2013, 1:25 PM EST

Research In Motion Ltd. may have fallen badly behind in the smartphone race, but it remains a global innovation leader.

The BlackBerry maker is in elite company based on the quantity and quality of its patents, based on a new ranking by Intellectual Asset Management, a British trade publication.

RIM is one of just 14 organizations that hold at least 3,400 U.S. patents, makes new applications at a minimum 13 per cent annual rate and owns the most coveted intellectual property.

RIM introduced its long-delayed BlackBerry 10 devices last week to generally positive reviews as it bids to regain some of its lost dominance in the smartphone market.

“BlackBerry's technical prowess is evident from the list,” said Alan Fisch, an IP lawyer with Fisch Hoffman Sigler LLP in Washington, DC. “Its patent portfolio represents a substantial commercial asset.”

The magazine described these “select few” as the owners of the “largest, fastest-growing and industry-recognized patent portfolios in the U.S.”

Also on the list are Apple Inc., Microsoft Corp., AT&T Inc., Advanced Micro Devices, Abbott Laboratories, Qualcomm Inc., Sony Corp., Covidien PLC, Ericsson, Globalfoundries, Hon Hai, Freescale Semiconductor and Intellectual Ventures Management LLC.

The magazine pointed out that a growing number of the leading patent holders are in the business of “monetizing” their intellectual property assets. Intellectual Ventures, for example, generates virtually all of its revenue by licensing its $5-billion (U.S.) patent portfolio and suing other companies it believes are using its IP.

“Entities on this list are patent sophisticates,” Mr. Fisch said. “Their appreciation of the licensing and litigation value of patents should motivate them to obtain even more.”

RIM has poured $1.5-billion to $2-billion a year into research and development, making it far and away Canada’s top R&D spender. It’s also been involved in numerous patent lawsuits, famously paying out $612.5-million in 2006 to settle a U.S. lawsuit.

Intellectual Asset Management also ranks the top 100 U.S. holders of “active” patents – a list headed by Samsung Electronics Ltd. with 45,012 patents. IBM (38,494), Canon (32,667), Panasonic (29,649) and Sony (25,741) round out the top five.

The magazine pointed out that the top 100 own one-third of all the roughly four million patents granted in the U.S. Half of those patents are in the hands of just 311 organizations, reflecting the highly concentrated nature of IP ownership.

RIM is the only Canadian-based company in the top 100, placing 82nd, with 4,141 patents. The company also has one of the fastest-growing IP portfolios, with an average growth rate of 28 per cent over the past three years.
    zyben and cjcampbell like this.
    02-05-13 12:59 PM
    some guidance? oh come on, that would be selective disclosure and that would land him in pinstripes and behind bars, so not gonna happen...
    I don't know why but that has made me think of one of my favourite ever 'theories' - back when WebOSnation was visited by more than ten people a week, word came in that at the earnings call, HP had pulled the plug on WebOS hardware - after just 40 days. Quite a few posters convinced themselves that it was a top secret marketing scheme and it was simply a way to sell more products and the 'secret marketing plan' would result in an amazing relaunch. They simply couldn't accept that tell such lies during an earning call would not be a smart move for a CEO...
    02-05-13 12:59 PM
    Not if it's just Heins vision of where BlackBerry should be going.
    02-05-13 01:00 PM
    BlackBerry eyes future beyond its new line of smartphones1 hour ago - ReutersBlackBerry eyes future beyond its new line of smartphones* CEO sees BlackBerry as a leader in mobile computing** CEO says new BB10 software opens a range of options** BlackBerry committed to tablets; new device in the works** Shares rise on reports of strong Z10 sales in UK, Canada*By Euan Rocha*TORONTO, Feb 4 (Reuters) - Barely a week after the launch of an all-new, make-or-break smartphone, BlackBerry is already looking at a future in which it is a leader in "mobile computing," Chief Executive Thorsten Heins says.*He says BlackBerry's aim is to reclaim its spot as an innovator in world where smartphones will have the processing power to replace tablets and laptops.*The company, which changed its name from Research In Motion when it launched the BlackBerry 10 smartphone last week, pioneered on-the-go email before losing ground to nimbler competitors. It's now out to explore new territory.*"This isn't just about smartphones and tablets," Heins, who took over as CEO just over a year ago, said in an interview at the time of the BlackBerry 10 launch.*"The architecture we have built is true mobile computing architecture. It's not a downgraded PC operating system. It is a whole new innovation built from scratch. It's built for mobile."*Despite a number of glowing reviews for the BB10 and reports of strong initial sales, some analysts and technology pundits are skeptical about BlackBerry's chances of mounting a comeback, doubting its ability to sell either enough smartphones or manage to transform the way people work.*"The Street cares about how many units of these (devices) they're going to sell and that is the balancing act," said John Jackson, an industry analyst at consulting firm IDC.*Jackson said he can see a future in which the BB10's new operating system will allow users to control a vast array of devices, but added: "They need to sell devices to keep the lights on while they transform themselves into a next-generation computing platform."*BlackBerry's marketing head, Frank Boulben, said the company is moving quickly enough to do just that.*"The vision is going to start to materialize this year," he said. "You will be able to plug the (Z10) device into a docking station at the office and then all you need is a keyboard, a mouse and a screen - combined with cloud services this would mean you don't need a laptop or a desktop."*BlackBerry last week unveiled two versions of the BB10 smartphone, a touchscreen model dubbed Z10 and one with a physical keyboard called the Q10, betting they will help it win back some of the market share it has bled to the likes of Apple and Samsung Electronics.**IT'S ABOUT THE PLATFORM*Heins spent the first 20 minutes of the BB10 launch event talking about BlackBerry's new platform rather than about the new smartphone models themselves.*"Over the short term, yes, we have to be successful with the devices, we have got to win back the enterprises, we've got win back consumers," he said. "But in the longer term, we have to understand where this company is going."*Initial checks from analysts point to strong sales for the Z10 in its early launch countries of Canada and Britain. The Q10 device will not be on sale until April.*"We spoke to a range of U.K. vendors over the weekend who indicated BlackBerry's Z10 sales were strong," Barclays analyst Jeff Kvaal said in a note. "Some store locations were completely sold out of the Z10 device, while others had limited stock."*Two of Canada's largest wireless carriers, Rogers and Bell, say demand for the new devices is strong. Rogers said pre-orders for the Z10 device are already in the thousands, while Bell said customer pre-registration numbers for the new smartphone are unprecedented for a new BlackBerry device.*Analyst upgrades, coupled with the Z10 sales reports, have sparked a surge in BlackBerry's shares this week. The stock is up more than 24 percent from Friday's close of $13.03 on the Nasdaq.*The stock, which remains some 90 percent below its 2008 peak, fell more than 20 percent in the two days following the BlackBerry launch, partly on disappointment that the new devices will not hit the crucial U.S. market until next month.**ALL OPTIONS OPEN*At the launch, BlackBerry did not address its so far unsuccessful foray into the tablet market, but Heins said the company remains committed to this segment.*"I'm not getting out of the tablet business, I've asked my teams to build another one, but I need to make money from it. If the hardware doesn't provide the margins I need, then it makes no sense in doing it," he said.*BlackBerry's PlayBook tablets debuted in 2011, but never gained traction against Apple's iPad and other devices. The company was forced to write down the value of the devices and it has since sold them at sharply reduced prices.*Heins said BlackBerry will remain focused on expanding its business in mobile computing over the next two to four years.*BlackBerry's QNX operating system, which forms the basis of its new BlackBerry 10 OS, already powers cars, nuclear reactors and manufacturing plants, and Heins said this opens new vistas for the company, although he gave no clear description of what they are.*"What we need to decide is where do we play? It could be a software play, a licensing play, an end-to-end horizontal play, we'll figure that out," he said. "In five years, yes we might still be in hardware, but we may not be in hardware ... I'm not ruling anything out."*"Mobile computing is not going to be decided in the next quarter ... We have got to figure out as an industry how we get there. All I know is that I want us to be a leader there." (Reporting by Euan Rocha; Editing by Janet Guttsman; and Peter Galloway)
    02-05-13 01:02 PM
    BlackBerry's marketing head, Frank Boulben, said the company is moving quickly enough to do just that.*"The vision is going to start to materialize this year," he said. "You will be able to plug the (Z10) device into a docking station at the office and then all you need is a keyboard, a mouse and a screen - combined with cloud services this would mean you don't need a laptop or a desktop.
    Its about time.
    bungaboy and spike12 like this.
    02-05-13 01:05 PM
    That expalins wh RIMM is working on an office like product (look at their help wanted postings)
    02-05-13 01:13 PM
113,251 ... 159160161162163 ...