View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Stops don't ordinarily execute after hours, from what I've experienced so far
    02-05-13 04:48 PM
    After hours trades on much smaller volume, so it's more volatile. The ending AH price is not necessarily indicative of tomorrows opening price.

Need some help understanding NASDAQ. After hours trading is still going on apparently, as they have the price after hours as 16.31. How is this possible and will this effect tomorrow's opening dramatically? Thanks for any assist....
    OMGitworks likes this.
    02-05-13 04:54 PM
    Stops don't ordinarily execute after hours, from what I've experienced so far
    Yeah, but it would at least protect you some since the price continues to fluctuate after hours. I'm still trying to get smart on this stuff, that's why I'm only investing with 60 shares right now. I'm reading this thread all the time and looking on-line trying to get smart. I really appreciate all the input from everyone on this forum. So freaking glad I found this palce a while back.
    02-05-13 04:54 PM
    Yea im not sure either but I think stops only count during normal trading hours. I also think you can't trade after hours unless you pay money directly to Nasdaq or Tsx or whoever to use their system.

Also Stop losses can kill you. Example if you put -10% you would have been wiped out a few times last week as they would bring the stock down 11% just to take the stop loss money.

I only put stop loss on gains. So I bought Rim at 18.12 if the stock jumps to $25 I might put my stop loss at $20. Then if the stock goes up again to $30 I might put the stop loss at $22. You do want to give some room because the stock might come down then go back up again!
    02-05-13 04:55 PM
    After hours trades on much smaller volume, so it's more volatile. The ending AH price is not necessarily indicative of tomorrows opening price.
    Is there a way to sell automatically if the price reached a certain price? Meaning, if the shares tomorrow reach $19.00, is there a way to set something so your shares are automatically sold once that price is reached? That's really all I'm concerned about right now.
    02-05-13 05:18 PM
    yea, im not really understanding after-hours.
    what if the price starts tanking in after-hour trading, and you're not able to sell before your shares become worthless?
    seems unfair that some can trade after 4pm and other can't.
    If you are not in the US but have a trading account which allows you to trade on US exchanges you can open a US$ denominated account and trade after/pre market on NASDAQ. Or you can trade without the US$ account and your brokerage will hit you with some serious exchange rate premiums.
    02-05-13 05:28 PM
    Is there a way to sell automatically if the price reached a certain price? Meaning, if the shares tomorrow reach $19.00, is there a way to set something so your shares are automatically sold once that price is reached? That's really all I'm concerned about right now.
    Yep, its called a limit order. You set a price and the moment the stock hits that price, you'll buy/sell (whichever type of limit order you place).
    02-05-13 06:26 PM
    Just testing my new Z10. :-)
    Shanerredflag and coldsword like this.
    02-05-13 06:50 PM
    Absolutely, limit up, stop orders down. The issue with them is large gaps up or down in after hours or pre-market trading, you might get out right away before the market has a chance to adjust at the open. They will execute right at the open but you might not want them to. Say BBRY is trading at 20 and you want to limit at 17 but it opens at 12. You got out at 12, the next available trade. Maybe you would have said what the heck at 12 I'd rather take my chances and ride it out and see what happens. Too bad if you didn't withdraw your stop order in time. I use stop/limit a lot but you need to be VERY careful on highly volatile stocks like BBRY. Be careful what you wish for....
    BThunderW and coldsword like this.
    02-05-13 06:53 PM
    it's true, many times i made more money because I was lazy about checking my investments. haha
    02-05-13 06:55 PM
    What is the stock name for blackberry rim is showing 13 dollars and 0 change?
    02-05-13 07:25 PM
    What is the stock name for blackberry rim is showing 13 dollars and 0 change?
    It is now bbry
    02-05-13 08:01 PM
    If you are not in the US but have a trading account which allows you to trade on US exchanges you can open a US$ denominated account and trade after/pre market on NASDAQ. Or you can trade without the US$ account and your brokerage will hit you with some serious exchange rate premiums.
    I believe quite a few discount brokerage firms let retail investors (us) trade extended hours. Its more risky but I know for example fidelity doesn't charge anything to add it.
    02-05-13 08:25 PM
    When are people going to realize that:
    1) BBRY on a free cash flow basis is extremely undervalued
    2) That the Z10 is actually in demand meaning BBRY is not going to die
    3) BBRY is probably going to grow Free cash flow

This is easily a $50 stock.
    fedakd and kingb71 like this.
    02-05-13 08:48 PM
    It is now bbry
    BB on the TSX
    02-05-13 09:13 PM
    Yep, its called a limit order. You set a price and the moment the stock hits that price, you'll buy/sell (whichever type of limit order you place).
    I think the proper name is Stop Profit. What he wants is to sell once they reach a certain price on the up side.
    02-05-13 09:58 PM
    What application have you guys discovered for tracking your portfolio on the Z10?
    bungaboy and Tom689 like this.
    02-05-13 10:02 PM
    I think the proper name is Stop Profit. What he wants is to sell once they reach a certain price on the up side.
    Ya, that's a limit order.

Stop limit and stop market orders are different. Stop refers to a price that a stock has to hit for a limit or market order to be placed. Typically used for ABC at $20. It goes to $25. You wantto protect your gain so you put a stop limit order in at $24.25/$24.00. When the stock hits $24.25 a limit order to sell at $24 will be placed. But if the stock goes up to $26, no order is placed and you still hold the stock. It's just a mechanism that can be used to lcok in gains or limit losses without hte constant need to watch stock movements by the minute.
    7thedon7 likes this.
    02-05-13 10:05 PM
    I use TMX Money for my RT quotes. Their web app is kick-*** and shows actual real-time quotes all within the browser. It's very slick and 100x better than the StockWatch app I used on the 9900. It's not free however but a great tool for traders.

https://tmxpowerstream.quotemedia.com/

What application have you guys discovered for tracking your portfolio on the Z10?
    Shanerredflag, dusdal and bungaboy like this.
    02-05-13 10:16 PM
    everything is peachy in this thread tonight.
    usually people are discussing what the stock will do tomorrow.
    tonight, everyone is happy to be at $16.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-05-13 10:25 PM
    Been through the ups and downs.. glad to see it back up from last week

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-05-13 11:38 PM
    After the 2 recent crashes it's probably built some resistance that'll hamper it on its way back up. Shorters have more confidence to wait for the next crash. The fact that this one bottomed out over 12 instead of 10 is good progress for us
    02-06-13 12:17 AM
    I use TMX Money for my RT quotes. Their web app is kick-*** and shows actual real-time quotes all within the browser. It's very slick and 100x better than the StockWatch app I used on the 9900. It's not free however but a great tool for traders.

https://tmxpowerstream.quotemedia.com/
    That app looks like it would be awesome.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930
    02-06-13 12:31 AM
    I'm gonna sell my shares tmr, can't be too greedy :S
    02-06-13 12:38 AM
    I'm gonna sell my shares tmr, can't be too greedy :S
    Is your handle in reference to the Vancouver Whitecaps FC?
    02-06-13 01:15 AM
113,256 ... 161162163164165 ...