View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    lol, it was you , but you're (one of) my (favorite) guest(s), so it will be the 2K+1 for me and #IlikeThat

edit : overLOL.
    You had the 2Kth Post - I have the 2Kth Answer.
    Did I mention we only have winners in this thread ?
    Attachment 131756
    Check it again Superfly_FR it is you.Happy 2Kth post
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-18-13 05:36 PM
    Check it again Superfly_FR it is you.Happy 2Kth post
    whatever ... we all win here
    01-18-13 05:38 PM
    http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000142128
    And .... good nite
    bungaboy and Lehomer like this.
    01-18-13 05:40 PM
    lol, it was you , but you're (one of) my (favorite) guest(s), so it will be the 2K+1 for me and #IlikeThat

edit : overLOL.
    You had the 2Kth Post - I have the 2Kth Answer.
    Did I mention we only have winners in this thread ?
    Attachment 131756
    Congrats on the 2K (pantless LoL) post. Atta go.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-18-13 05:44 PM
    Mr. Superfly_FR...I want to thank you for this thread, I've been watching and reading for months...very enjoyable with some learning mixed in too...I say we try and beat the 50K reply that some "other" thread is working towards. Great job!
    That other "50K pantless" thread is moving onto 100K now. Let's make them both successful. I read/post in this thread for knowledge and excitement on RIM stock. I read/post in the 50K thread for friendship and un-troll environment.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-18-13 06:12 PM
    That other "50K pantless" thread is moving onto 100K now. Let's make them both successful. I read/post in this thread for knowledge and excitement on RIM stock. I read/post in the 50K thread for friendship and un-troll environment.
    All in fun my friend:

bungaboy likes this.
    01-18-13 06:31 PM
    Thanks. That's why we're here.

(I note your dancing banana is pantless too. LoL)
    01-18-13 06:48 PM
    So crunched some numbers, my screw up wasn't as big as I thought, I actually made a little profit but my total shares held fell a bit, in order to bring my share count back to what it was prior to today, the share price would have to retreat to ~$15.3, anything less than that it's bonus. I think this is feasible because the stock is begging for a small correction.

Let that be a lesson to all, always double check your order before you hit submit.
    Superfly_FR and coldsword like this.
    01-18-13 06:49 PM
    The one time he was going to say something good about RIM, they cut him off.
    coldsword likes this.
    01-18-13 07:04 PM
    The RSI is still pretty high and there was still a huge volume of selling going into the close. I'd rather protect my gains than miss out on a small rally. I would have been net positive today but I had an oops early in the morning cause I wasn't paying attention. TSX is open on Monday, I'll set up my play for next week accordingly.
    When people talk about RSI, what range or period are you guys talking about? I read something about how RSI is usually calculated based on 14 periods or something around that, but you can do it for minutes, hours, hours, days, etc. So what is the length that you guys are talking about?
    01-18-13 07:11 PM
    When people talk about RSI, what range or period are you guys talking about? I read something about how RSI is usually calculated based on 14 periods or something around that, but you can do it for minutes, hours, hours, days, etc. So what is the length that you guys are talking about?
    Relative Strength Index (RSI) - ChartSchool - StockCharts.com
    01-18-13 08:12 PM
    Yes I read that article. It mentions 14 days. But is that what people talk about when they say RSI? Because you can do an RSI on any time length, minutes, hours, days, months, etc.
    01-18-13 08:37 PM
    I found this...pretty telling in the scheme of what’s happening:

Video: BlackBerry-maker flourishes in southeast Asia - The Globe and Mail
    01-18-13 10:53 PM
    I managed to buy another set of RIM shares yesterday. Hopefully the price will continue to rise to at least $25 a share.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-19-13 12:14 AM
    Okay I don't want to sound like a total noob here but I've been watching this thread for the last few weeks and I think I'm ready to open an account and would like to buy some shares. Here's my question, I live in Canada and I bank with BMO but from what I've read online I'd have to open an account with minimum of 10k with BMO which isn't feasible for me. Can you guys recommend me to a bank or broker that I can open an account with that I can get started with? Thanks in advanced!
    01-19-13 01:11 AM
    I suggest opening up a Tax Free Savings Account for trading stocks (since you're Canadian). Make sure you request the one for trading stocks and not the regular TFSA. This way any gains you make are tax-free
    BThunderW likes this.
    01-19-13 01:46 AM
    Okay I don't want to sound like a total noob here but I've been watching this thread for the last few weeks and I think I'm ready to open an account and would like to buy some shares. Here's my question, I live in Canada and I bank with BMO but from what I've read online I'd have to open an account with minimum of 10k with BMO which isn't feasible for me. Can you guys recommend me to a bank or broker that I can open an account with that I can get started with? Thanks in advanced!
    You can call your neighbourhood Edward Jones. They can have you up and in the market quickly, you will have to set up an account, give them a cheque, etc. AND you don't need to have big bucks. But there is a minimum $50 broker fee per buy and per sell. So if you buy 100 shares you need it to go up 1 dollar per share to break even. It will get you in the market with Rim quickly and then you can set up an online account if you wish to after. Do not forget also to get your tax-free-savings account registered if you haven't yet. You can put in up to $5500 this year and $5000 from the previous years. I don't know how much you want to invest but If you buy $100-5000 worth and you turn it to $20k, you keep that money tax free. But don't play it if you can't afford to lose it. Then you'd be better off investing your TFSA in low risk.
    01-19-13 02:05 AM
    I suggest opening up a Tax Free Savings Account for trading stocks (since you're Canadian). Make sure you request the one for trading stocks and not the regular TFSA. This way any gains you make are tax-free
    Just be warned that if your stock investment goes down, you also lose your TFSA contribution room = double lose. If it goes up on the other hand, double win!

E.g. You contribute $5000 to your TFSA. If your stock goes to 0. Well, since your contribution room is calculated each year based on (TFSA Limit - Deposits + Withdrawals).

But right now with RIM, you should be pretty home free. (I think)

As for which stock broker, I went with Questrade. I think you need min of $5000 if you don't want to pay their monthly fee. (Or be a student)
    01-19-13 02:10 AM
    Just be warned that if your stock investment goes down, you also lose your TFSA contribution room = double lose. If it goes up on the other hand, double win!

E.g. You contribute $5000 to your TFSA. If your stock goes to 0. Well, since your contribution room is calculated each year based on (TFSA Limit - Deposits + Withdrawals).

But right now with RIM, you should be pretty home free. (I think)

As for which stock broker, I went with Questrade. I think you need min of $5000 if you don't want to pay their monthly fee. (Or be a student)
    Your points about the TFSA are well-taken. Personally, I consider it well worth the risk, given the potential upside.

I use the online brokerage offered by my bank. Interestingly enough, there isn't a minimum deposit for TFSA accounts, though there is a $5000 minimum on retail brokerage accounts. Only real downside I've seen is that in the TFSA account I'm not allowed to trade options
    01-19-13 02:13 AM
    You do not need a minimum $10k for a TFSA (Tax Free Savings) account. And that's what you likely want anyway,.
    01-19-13 02:15 AM
    Rbc is $30/trade.
    Canadian companies, like RIM, are tax free the first $30,000 profit. In a TFSA investment account, its all tax free.
    Go to an rbc, open the tfsA direct investment account, and they show you how to use their online website for buying and selling stock.
    01-19-13 02:21 AM
    Bungaboy, don't be shy, you should have provided the lint to this excelllllent thread ! : the 50K CrackBerry challenge - Page 2069 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    C'mon everybody : make it grow like the stock !
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-19-13 02:33 AM
    I just can't see selling right now as we are so close to the introduction with more good news than bad showing up everyday. Barring any "horror" RIMM should continue to go up and up. It just tempts me to collect my money and go, but last time I did that, RIMM stock went up over a buck a share.

As you said, nerves of steel help right now!
    01-19-13 05:37 AM
    Rbc is $30/trade.
    Canadian companies, like RIM, are tax free the first $30,000 profit. In a TFSA investment account, its all tax free.
    Go to an rbc, open the tfsA direct investment account, and they show you how to use their online website for buying and selling stock.
    Credential Direct is only $19 per trade. LoL
    01-19-13 06:23 AM
    I just can't see selling right now as we are so close to the introduction with more good news than bad showing up everyday. Barring any "horror" RIMM should continue to go up and up. It just tempts me to collect my money and go, but last time I did that, RIMM stock went up over a buck a share.

As you said, nerves of steel help right now!
    the only thing i can envision f*ing this whole thing up for the bunch of us, is, if jan 30th RIM announces the phones will be available late march, or some crap like that. anything after feb 14th, i think they get lambasted in the media and their shares plummet.
    01-19-13 06:46 AM
113,250 ... 7980818283 ...