View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Yep. Same problem Henry Ford and the Wright brothers had . . . . . . . Oh and the Flat Earth Society. LoL
    Henry and the Wright brothers were on the cutting edge of something brand new! RIM is trying to swim upstream and that "roar" they hear behind them . . . it is the FALLS!

Invest as you wish!
    12-23-12 09:07 AM
    RIM is very much past moving the delivery date. The January 30th launch date was picked for strategic reasons, not because they "should be done" by then. There's been enough activity and leaks to show that the hardware and OS have been pretty much finalized, even if they're still working on the tweaks, which they will continue on past launch date anyhow. Going off the cliff will be harmful, but not as much to RIM, it's a Canadian company and while not immune to the effects of the American economy, it's in a lot better position than if it were American company.

While I agree that at this stage there is definite risk, and the stock is bound to be volatile for quite a while, with risk comes reward. If you buy the company now and RIM succeeds, your original investment will realize huge gains, if RIM were to fail though, your risk is not so huge because right now the company is trading near it's valuation so the stock value doesn't really have much more to fall.

This is of course my opinion and take it as you will.

It means if you are smart, do not buy right now. Going off the cliff will not be near as harmful for RIM than if they have a problem. RIM is not past moving a delivery date of BB10. This would be "death". For RIM to not have this ready for the Holiday season, tells me they are pushing way to hard.

I also fear there be a problem. A brand new OS with brand new hardware would be a huge challenge for ANY company, much less RIM.

Just saying might be best to stay liquid. There is a great chance to make money here, but the risks are huge and should be understood.
    Superfly_FR and s0be like this.
    12-23-12 09:55 AM
    Not sure I agree that the date is strategic - it is the best guess earliest ANNOUNCEMENT date. No one really knows about availability. And (well documented) they missed back to school and the holiday season, which is not a great strategy.

Right now the date doesn't matter. They have to deliver. And if it ships with bugs, it will be a death-knell.
    12-23-12 10:14 AM
    It's actually an awesome strategy. There's a lot of noise right now, they're launching during a relatively quiet period. All eyes will be on RIM. It's the earliest date after the holiday madness has subsided but not too late that the hardware they're launching with will be still competitive.

Not sure I agree that the date is strategic - it is the best guess earliest ANNOUNCEMENT date. No one really knows about availability. And (well documented) they missed back to school and the holiday season, which is not a great strategy.

Right now the date doesn't matter. They have to deliver. And if it ships with bugs, it will be a death-knell.
    Lehomer and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-23-12 10:57 AM
    All depends on when the devices will become available and not announced.
    Announce too early and the buzz (and credibility) are gone. Announce too late and you lose the momentum. There isn't that much noise. Just among the loyalists.
    We will see what happens on 30 January.
    12-23-12 11:13 AM
    Sorry I mean the noise from the holidays and whatnot. People right now are too preoccupied.

All depends on when the devices will become available and not announced.
    Announce too early and the buzz (and credibility) are gone. Announce too late and you lose the momentum. There isn't that much noise. Just among the loyalists.
    We will see what happens on 30 January.
    12-23-12 11:22 AM
    it IS February in Europe for L-serie. Trusted carrier source confirmed it to me (twice) a few weeks ago.
    12-23-12 11:56 AM
    How's that vacation going?

it IS February in Europe for L-serie. Trusted carrier source confirmed it to me (twice) a few weeks ago.
    12-23-12 11:58 AM
    How's that vacation going?
    Fine, thanks but slow rehab' lol.
    Trying to make my spare holiday laptop (HP ZD7000 serie) back to acceptale perf (shouldn' have update to W7) ... so ...can't refrain between 2 updates to comment lo
    12-23-12 12:14 PM
    12-23-12 12:29 PM
    Hello Everyone!

Thought I would show you graphically what is happening with RIM's stock these days so that you can make better decisions.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-rim-dec-23-2012-chart.jpg

I realize that Thursday night and Friday were two days of excitement and fear for many. It doesn't appear to be anything more than a normal trading event in any case. As you can see by the chart, we broke out from a base and challenged the 200 day moving average, later the 50-dma caught up with the 200-dma and produced a very bullish Golden Cross. The stock rallied hard from there and on Thursday night, it simply arrived at the top of the channel at $ 15.38/shr and produced a major "Sell Signal". The stock then sold off as do corrections, it was fast and painful but it is necessary to get the stock back into a "Buy" mode again. Now we are simply back to the breakout point at the 50-dma and have huge support at the 200-dma too.

So what now? I see the stock completing its test of support tomorrow morning which is at the 50-dma and the 200-dma, it will be swift and you have to get your orders in and catch the trade. There is big support around the $ 10.50/shr area so the stock doesn't have much time to make a bottom here. Will it get to test the dma's?? Not likely, unless there is a major general market decline here. Most traders will wrap up their trading early and the pressure will come off the stock and it will hold the uptrend line at $ 10.50/shr and above. So place your orders in at $ 10.55/shr and fill those orders for Christmas, as the good news is that this is the last sell-off prior to the BB 10 launch and the stock will now be safe to rally to $ 18.00/shr by the end of next month. The only thing that slows this down is if the general market tanks on our stupid US government. BUY RIM, you will be glad you did in a couple of days as it should trade above $ 12.50/shr very quickly and move up from there!
    BThunderW, spike12, Nindia and 4 others like this.
    12-23-12 01:23 PM
    LOL...I was thinking the same thing. Now I might have to put a $10.58 order to make sure I get filled . It's a good time to take advantage of the drop . I even got a few people thinking about it.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    12-23-12 01:57 PM
    LOL...I was thinking the same thing. Now I might have to put a $10.58 order to make sure I get filled . It's a good time to take advantage of the drop . I even got a few people thinking about it.
    I just touched on the trade lately so that we can make money on this bad boy. I could say many more things about RIM but I'll point out one more great bit of news, the RSI was heading for 85 on Thursday night, that is hugely over-bought and tripped the Sell Signal, but tomorrow morning, if it dips much, it will be approaching RSI = 30 which is the exact time you Buy!!! So now you have many things coming into play here, a 130 million NA short position that likely went up, a stock that is testing its support line with HUGE support down to $ 10.04/shr, and a great 5 week story coming up.

Good luck and don't prevent me from getting my stock in the morning! HA!
    12-23-12 02:24 PM
    I'm not wealthy, so will not be investing in RIMM stocks. Were I wealthy, I'd find safer avenues for investment.
    12-23-12 04:08 PM
    lol. That doesn't make sense.

So what you're saying is that you wont invest in RIM because you're not wealthy, and if you were wealthy you wouldn't invest in RIM.

I'm not wealthy, so will not be investing in RIMM stocks. Were I wealthy, I'd find safer avenues for investment.
    12-23-12 04:14 PM
    oops, double post.
    12-23-12 04:15 PM
    lol. That doesn't make sense.

So what you're saying is that you wont invest in RIM because you're not wealthy, and if you were wealthy you wouldn't invest in RIM.
    That's pretty much on point. Looking at RIM over time, I wouldn't be comfortable investing in them.
    12-23-12 04:20 PM
    So wealth has nothing to do with it. It'd be simpler to say. "I won't invest in RIM"

That's pretty much on point. Looking at RIM over time, I wouldn't be comfortable investing in them.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    12-23-12 04:28 PM
    So wealth has nothing to do with it. It'd be simpler to say. "I won't invest in RIM"
    Actually, wealth has a lot to do with it. Were I wealthy, I'd probably buy some shares in RIM, though not significantly invest in them.

Since I'm not, I won't.
    12-23-12 04:33 PM
    Doesn't that say if you were wealthy you wouldn't invest in RIM?

12-23-12 04:36 PM
    Doesn't that say if you were wealthy you wouldn't invest in RIM?
    Suppose I should modify to state, "... would not invest significantly in RIMM."

After all, I collect old computers too like Sinclair computers and older Macintosh computers, but I don't invest significantly in them. So, were I wealthy, I'd probably purchase a few shares of RIMM, just to say I owned some.

But, I'm not wealthy, so I won't.
    12-23-12 04:41 PM
    Suppose I should modify to state, "... would not invest significantly in RIMM."

After all, I collect old computers too like Sinclair computers and older Macintosh computers, but I don't invest significantly in them. So, were I wealthy, I'd probably purchase a few shares of RIMM, just to say I owned some.

But, I'm not wealthy, so I won't.
    So basically you're saying if you had the balls and confidence in RIM you would be investing?

RIM is a risky play. No one is arguing that. Risk equals reward. Ask anyone wealthy about the risks they took to get where they are and I'm sure they won't have a story that has anything to do with sitting on the sidelines because the risk is too great.
    12-24-12 02:36 AM
    So basically you're saying if you had the balls and confidence in RIM you would be investing?

RIM is a risky play. No one is arguing that. Risk equals reward. Ask anyone wealthy about the risks they took to get where they are and I'm sure they won't have a story that has anything to do with sitting on the sidelines because the risk is too great.
    If by balls, you mean money to burn as so many of the rich cats who post here have - probably not. Would buy a few shares for reasons already related, but wouldn't take any risk with RIM.
    12-24-12 05:29 AM

The following isn't specific to RIM. People are throwing around a lot of faulty assumptions here and I seek to correct people's understanding of the market in general. I would not expect that people who invest using faulty assumptions will statistically outperform people who invest using sound assumptions (although I can't really be sure about that, lol.)

Your assumption that "risk = reward" is faulty. It is common in the financial world for the risk premium to be out-of-line with potential returns. For example (and this is not the only one), prices easily get out of whack for a short period when unsophisticated investors (retail) overwhelm sophisticated investors (institutional) because of emotional attachment to stocks. So far, no one here has made any compelling statements that explain why RIM stock should be worth something other than what it is currently without qualifying their assumptions with emotional sentiment. So let me do that...

RIM has the same basic options as other companies: success, failure, breakup / takeover. No stock is priced exactly where it should be if people otherwise could divine its future. And so, the current price is probably not where it should be (QED), but I don't know if it is too high or too low. And the problem is that there are only a handful of people in this world who truly have a strong understanding of a company's future.

Imagine a situation where you knew everything Thorsten knows as well as what analysts may know and that you know whether large institutional investors plan on gaming the stock for their own purposes. Now imagine how anyone on the planet can know all that. If you agree with me that it is unlikely that others know as much as that, then no one can perform the risk-reward calculation properly. The statement "risk = rewards" cannot be true. Wikipedia agrees with me: Efficient-market_hypothesis

The trick for most speculative investors is somehow to know when to get in and get out. To me, I say that is strictly a matter of artistic prowess and is not something that is easily transferable. I don't have this ability, nor do most people. And unless you are in frequent contact with such a person, it is difficult to follow his/her advice. I liken it to unrestrained mountain climbing. Some people should never try it.
    Last edited by bk1022; 12-24-12 at 09:14 AM.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    12-24-12 08:28 AM
    It is all a guess when it comes to RIMM. Too many factors with risk for my tastes and going "off the cliff" is what I am hoping for as any deal that Obama would accept would be bad for us in the end. Sequestration was never meant to really happen, but it looks like the only way we can get some control over the government's spending.
    12-24-12 09:02 AM
113,250 ... 5556575859 ...