View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I suspect Alex Manea becomes the new CSO...
    How IoT Turns Security Vulnerabilities into Safety Threats

The Conference Board of Canada, May 29, 2017 at 02:00 PM EDT
    Live Webinar by The Conference Board of Canada

Alex Manea is BlackBerry’s Chief Security Officer. As a founding member of BlackBerry Security, Alex has protected mobile, desktop and IoT devices, networks and infrastructure for over a decade. He is a Certified Software Security Lifecycle Professional and has an Honors degree in Systems Design Engineering from the University of Waterloo. In 2015, Alex starred on the hit TV show Canada’s Smartest Person, winning his episode with the highest score of the season.
    Last edited by Corbu; 05-19-17 at 08:49 PM.
    05-19-17 08:16 PM
    Dave Kleidermacher joins Google...

Attachment 423580
    Well... it seems Google likes what BlackBerry has done to secure Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-17 12:54 AM
    Well... it seems Google likes what BlackBerry has done to secure Android.

Posted via CB10
    Just saw this on Stocktwits... this seems bad for BlackBerry. He brought a lot of security credibility to BlackBerry. So what do you all think? Why did he leave? Who is replacing him?

Posted via CB10... for now...
    05-20-17 06:05 AM
    Here is the new CSO:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20170520_070842.png

La Emperor and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-20-17 06:10 AM
    Just saw this on Stocktwits... this seems bad for BlackBerry. He brought a lot of security credibility to BlackBerry. So what do you all think? Why did he leave? Who is replacing him?

If he (+HR) did his (their) job (-s) before he left, BlackBerry probably has in place both a great team and a succession plan. To have a former employee at a key security position at Google might be a good thing for BlackBerry going forward. It also says something about the talent at BlackBerry that former personnel gets promoted to that level.

If [or hopefully when ] the BlackBerry Mobile - play turns in to a smashing hit, then the model that BlackBerry has put in place (aka securing of Android + hardware licensing) is just another reasons why Google should buy (that part of) BlackBerry.

The only thing I can say to Mr K is to thank him for what he did while at BlackBerry and best of luck at Google.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    05-20-17 06:18 AM
    If he (+HR) did his (their) job (-s) before he left, BlackBerry probably has in place both a great team and a succession plan. To have a former employee at a key security position at Google might be a good thing for BlackBerry going forward. It also says something about the talent at BlackBerry that former personnel gets promoted to that level.

If [or hopefully when ] the BlackBerry Mobile - play turns in to a smashing hit, then the model that BlackBerry has put in place (aka securing of Android + hardware licensing) is just another reasons why Google should buy (that part of) BlackBerry.

The only thing I can say to Mr K is to thank him for what he did while at BlackBerry and best of luck at Google.

Posted via CB10
    Well said. Change is always concerning but can definitely be good. looks good that Alex moved right into the position, so it would seem they did have a succession plan in place. As an investor though, I am surprised that there was not notice made for a change at that level of leadership.

05-20-17 06:22 AM
    Well said. Change is always concerning but can definitely be good. looks good that Alex moved right into the position, so it would seem they did have a succession plan in place. As an investor though, I am surprised that there was not notice made for a change at that level of leadership.

Wouldn't this be like the Ford and BlackBerry employees transferred?
    After all Google and BlackBerry are partners
    05-20-17 09:05 AM
    Congratulations for all the fans and Canada's hockey team!! Unbelievable comeback against Russia
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-20-17 11:17 AM
    Wouldn't this be like the Ford and BlackBerry employees transferred?
    After all Google and BlackBerry are partners
    Not sure it was a friendly, but the fact that Alex moved into the role so quickly makes me think it was a planned move that BlackBerry was prepared for and not a surprise. That could be a good sign.

05-20-17 12:53 PM
    just a couple of thoughts:
    not to long after JC took over, he said in an interview that he had gone back to look at videos of Steve jobs v2 (aka after he came back), and how he (and his team) turned around apple from the brink of bankruptcy. JCs main takeaway was, if I remember correctly, focus. a narrow product offering with clear upgrade paths. with the background he has, as a software CEO, he's all about getting people down the funnel, aka selling in their lower tier solutions, and upselling from there.

so to follow up on focus, JC has been very smart in "outsourcing" (creating JV / high incentivised large-scale partners) some key areas:
    BB Mobile - play -> recurring revenue stream from licensing brand, hardware patents and providing secured hardware.
    Emtek - consumer BBM -> same as above, WeChat potential (?)
    the nan-health initiative appears to have fallen somewhat flat, but..

looking at what JC is pouring resources into, may provide key insights into what he sees as the biggest opportunity for BB. to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what it is, but it seems QNX / IoT / EoT are the two biggest drivers, while EMM is the core product that finances everything else. that said, their all different aspects of the same value proposition, secure performance.

my main worry is that JC stretches BBs limited resources into chasing too many initiatives. so far he's been very pragmatic and practical about this. impressively so really.

I realise this is a bit on the side, as compared to SP talk, but business strategy and development is something I find increasingly interesting. ( I blame Ben Thompsen et al.)
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 05-20-17 at 06:41 PM. Reason: autocorrect hell
    alludba, rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    05-20-17 06:38 PM
    just a couple of thoughts:
    not to long after JC took over, he said in an interview that he had gone back to look at videos of Steve jobs v2 (aka after he came back), and how he (and his team) turned around apple from the brink of bankruptcy. JCs main takeaway was, if I remember correctly, focus. a narrow product offering with clear upgrade paths. with the background he has, as a software CEO, he's all about getting people down the funnel, aka selling in their lower tier solutions, and upselling from there.

so to follow up on focus, JC has been very smart in "outsourcing" (creating JV / high incentivised large-scale partners) some key areas:
    BB Mobile - play -> recurring revenue stream from licensing brand, hardware patents and providing secured hardware.
    Emtek - consumer BBM -> same as above, WeChat potential (?)
    the nan-health initiative appears to have fallen somewhat flat, but..

looking at what JC is pouring resources into, may provide key insights into what he sees as the biggest opportunity for BB. to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what it is, but it seems QNX / IoT / EoT are the two biggest drivers, while EMM is the core product that finances everything else. that said, their all different aspects of the same value proposition, secure performance.

my main worry is that JC stretches BBs limited resources into chasing too many initiatives. so far he's been very pragmatic and practical about this. impressively so really.

I realise this is a bit on the side, as compared to SP talk, but business strategy and development is something I find increasingly interesting. ( I blame Ben Thompsen et al.)
    Well said Feitalnc... I liked your thinking and agree that business strategy is important to consider as well
    05-20-17 08:21 PM
    Well said Feitalnc... I liked your thinking and agree that business strategy is important to consider as well
    I guess it depends or where you're coming from, but just as a disclaimer, I am a shareholder in BlackBerry. As a matter of fact it's the largest singel company in my portfolio. (SPHS is the third). As an investor I want BlackBerry to soar, and can't overstate how much of an eye opener M8's post have been (before I didn't think much of technical analysis) , but it's more that I would like to distill what JC has done to be able to apply it myself. I've been really impressed with the way JC has been able to shore up the financial side, while doing some smart M&A activities to fill in some product gaps (which more than anything else have created more funnels). Also in de-leverageing risk vs more or less pure profit (on a smaller revenue) from BlackBerry Mobile + BBM consumer.

I'm really interested in seeing what the next M&A move will be.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, alludba, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    05-20-17 08:40 PM
    I guess it depends or where you're coming from, but just as a disclaimer, I am a shareholder in BlackBerry. As a matter of fact it's the largest singel company in my portfolio. (SPHS is the third). As an investor I want BlackBerry to soar, and can't overstate how much of an eye opener M8's post have been (before I didn't think much of technical analysis) , but it's more that I would like to distill what JC has done to be able to apply it myself. I've been really impressed with the way JC has been able to shore up the financial side, while doing some smart M&A activities to fill in some product gaps (which more than anything else have created more funnels). Also in de-leverageing risk vs more or less pure profit (on a smaller revenue) from BlackBerry Mobile + BBM consumer.

I'm really interested in seeing what the next M&A move will be.

Posted via CB10
    I couldnt agree more. Business and strategic thinking intrigues me just as much as trading the stock and I feel like he's making all the right long term, shareholder value building decisions. Some may not have appreciated it early on in his BlackBerry tenure but I feel like in 5 yrs from now when hindsight is 20/20 and everyone realizes it and misses the boat, BlackBerry will be soaring bc of the foundation Chen put in place today and yesterday. I feel like investing in BlackBerry up to this point has been like a well kept secret, due to all the potential they have going forward with all of their growth initiatives
    Corbu, rarsen, kadakn01 and 1 others like this.
    05-20-17 08:45 PM
    05-21-17 08:54 PM
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/22/b...m-hackett.html
    Ford Ousts Mark Fields as C.E.O. and Installs Jim Hackett

Mr. Hackett said the board had given him a free hand to transform the nation’s No. 2 automaker, including seeking alliances with Silicon Valley firms, changing its product lineup, and divesting itself of unprofitable global operations.
    Bio
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...s-hackett.html

Prior to serving in this role, Hackett was chairman of Ford Smart Mobility LLC, a subsidiary of Ford formed to accelerate the company’s plans to design, build, grow and invest in emerging mobility services. He was named to the position March 10, 2016.
    From Nov. 2016
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-pione...car-1480441096
    A Pioneer of the Open Office Helps Ford Rethink the Car
    Jim Hackett heads a new subsidiary exploring ventures in ride hailing, car sharing and self-driving vehicles
    Last edited by Corbu; 05-22-17 at 08:28 AM.
    05-22-17 08:05 AM
    I wonder what the above means for Blackberry/QNX.
    05-22-17 09:06 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Nothing but good things ahead .. esp for QNX ... can you say BULLISH ... Congratulations to CEO Chen for this remarkable transformation ...FORD AND QNX just the beginning ... credibility for the vision will move this much higher ...
    05-22-17 11:25 AM
    I'm scratching my head.. thinking how long it could go up until it undergoes some kind of correction? :-)

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 11:28 AM
    Morgan hope all is well!!!!

An update on yourself would be really appreciated.

Cheers mate!
    05-22-17 12:16 PM
    05-22-17 12:25 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    $11!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37195.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	423707
    This could be $12 by eod...

Posted via CB10
    05-22-17 12:32 PM
    Does anyone know what's causing the run?
    05-22-17 12:37 PM
    I think all the good news is finally catching fire with the general public.

That combined with rumours of an avaya settlement, KEYone licence fees if launch is strong, malware fears with bbry cashing in (upcoming seminar) and on all of that shorts trying to get out fast.

05-22-17 12:51 PM
    For you, Morgan...

To celebrate a fine day.

Best,
    Mr BBRY, kadakn01, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    05-22-17 12:57 PM
    Long weekend music!

05-22-17 01:00 PM
113,256 ... 40784079408040814082 ...