1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wells Fargo Reiterates BlackBerry Market Perform Rating with $7.63 PT

01:54 PM EDT, 09/26/2016 (MT Newswires) --
    09-26-16 03:49 PM
    I believe he was talking in general and he was stating the carriers aren't that interested in selling cell (all) phones . He also said something about a mature market. He said that carriers are more interested in automobile and they are excited about the growth there and so is BlackBerry. I believe HW will be around for a while until all who need, adapt and change, saying that some BlackBerry apps can't be secure in ios or Android.

My personal opinion is that HW should stay and BB10 needs to be upgraded to BB20.
    You're probably right :-) fingers crossed for wednesday - let's hope the 2/3 is more like 3/4 ;-)

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 04:07 PM
    You're probably right :-) fingers crossed for wednesday - let's hope the 2/3 is more like 3/4 ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Let's hope so! One important question JC was asked, that makes me think twice and that is, what BlackBerry is now (not the words used.) his answer was a software company. I hope they don't, but JC and the carriers are right and the focus should be in automobile. The growth there could actually decrease the world cell phone usage. Along with one other tech item Blackberry needs to produce.
    09-26-16 05:17 PM
    Just watched the Chen interview. Maybe he kills hardware or maybe he doesn't, but he should made it seem like hardware would play a very small role in the new company. Seems like the right move. You can't compete with Apple in the high end and the low end has a billion Android phones. I'm just wondering what they are working on for Internet of Things. Have they announced anything?
    09-26-16 06:15 PM
    WSJ:
    BlackBerry Earnings Preview: What to Watch - WSJ

Canadian smartphone maker’s loss to narrow as software remains in focus

Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry Ltd. is set to report results for its second quarter of fiscal 2017 before markets open on Wednesday. While the company continues to drive attention for new handset and software releases, investors will be paying close attention to Chief Executive John Chen’s efforts to balance BlackBerry’s focus as a major mobile security software player with its future as a consumer smartphone maker.

EARNINGS FORECAST: Analysts expect a loss of 5 cents a share for the quarter ended Aug. 31, according to Thomson Reuters. That would be better than its year-earlier loss of 13 cents a share. In the first quarter of its current fiscal year, BlackBerry posted a small adjusted loss, or break-even on a per-share basis.

REVENUE FORECAST: BlackBerry is expected to report a 20% decline in revenue from a year earlier, to $394 million, according to analysts. First-quarter revenue totaled $400 million.

WHAT TO WATCH:

—HANDSET BUSINESS: A year ago, Mr. Chen stated that BlackBerry’s handset business had to be profitable by this month for the company to continue making devices. Since unveiling his self-imposed deadline, handset losses have steadily declined, but haven’t yet turned profitable. RBC Capital Markets estimates BlackBerry’s operating loss on handsets should decline in the second quarter to $13 million from $21 million in the first quarter. Sales of BlackBerry’s latest device, the DTEK50, should show that the company’s handset business still has some life left as the shift to Android-based devices provide positive gross margins, RBC added. Some analysts expect BlackBerry to release at least one more Android-powered device this year while others, like Raymond James, can see the company winding down its hardware business. “There is nothing special in the hardware, and all the [BlackBerry] differentiation is from the software,” Raymond James said in a note.

—SOFTWARE & SERVICES REVENUE: BlackBerry’s software business is expected to be the company’s main revenue driver this quarter, according to TD Securities. TD forecasts software revenue will more than double from the same year-ago quarter, mainly due to the company’s acquisitions of Good Technology and AtHoc. “We expect that this will be the second quarter in a row where software and services will be the largest revenue segment,” TD said. Investors also expect BlackBerry to provide some additional information on its recent rollout of its trailer-tracking Radar software as well as its IP licensing and royalty program.

—OUTLOOK: Investors will continue to closely parse any company comments on guidance, device sales or upcoming product launches. The company’s recent announcement on refinancing its convertible debentures may lead to an update on BlackBerry’s fiscal 2017 outlook. RBC estimates the refinancing reduces the company’s annual interest expense by $52 million a year, or 11 cents a share. BlackBerry has said it expects to continue to generate positive free cash flow in fiscal 2017.
    But wait, wait... There's more!

For once, the device used to illustrate the piece is not a circa 2005 one!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bn-pj436_bbdtek_m_20160812095857.jpg

Sales of BlackBerry’s latest device, the DTEK50, should show that the company’s handset business still has some life left.
    09-26-16 06:36 PM
    John Chen says BlackBerry targets are being met despite potential hardware closure

We have made investment over a billion-plus, all in software, all in security, and now we need to execute it.
    Indeed.
    09-26-16 06:41 PM
    BlackBerry CEO laments brand?s loss of Canadians? support, says turnaround two-thirds complete - Article - BNN

“What I think Canadians ought to think about is, if you really think technology and knowledge is the next evolution of the economy, having a healthy BlackBerry is actually paramount in importance not only to Waterloo and other innovation centres, but also for the Canadian mindset,” Chen said.
    09-26-16 06:41 PM
    09-26-16 06:48 PM
    OT from another site, why am I not very surprised?

How to Find Out If Google Has Been Listening to You
    09-27-16 08:09 AM
    @ Morgan8, JC stated a few times he wanted to pay the full debt, but decided to take the 605,000.00 debt. I believe he (Blackberry) is not done with buying. What do you think Morgan8?
    Hi bbjdog !!!

I'm standing by my theory that Prem Watsa was given another round of financing by John Chen to correct his average purchase price on those 43 MM shares at $ 16.50/shr. He had no choice back in late 2012 but to try and buyout BlackBerry to save his investment and that has been the theme every since then. Remember, he held 51 MM shares at various levels of pricing going into the massive drop in the stock. He tried to get a buyer but he needed too much to break-even and so he resorted to a refinancing deal that would see him get a massive average price in the $ 13.50/shr area which was safe against a low ball takeover. As soon as the stock rouse to $ 10.00 plus, he sold 9 MM shares to bring his average down and comply with the restraints of the public fund agreement. When you think about it, he did nothing less than many of us have done done with our investments, that is, average down.

Fast forward until today, Prem gets a monster penalty payment from BB to retire the old bonds, he received 6% on the original bond investment and now holds a large block of stock at $ 10.00 which still pays him a dividend or sorts so that he has worked his cost basis on the original shares well below $ 13.50/shr. He couldn't have done this without John Chen's help in the matter. It doesn't end there, he is assured by John that the eventual buyout price will be much higher than his investment!!

I do believe this is how things have gone, John was appointed/hired by Prem, John is indebted to him for saving BB and giving him the opportunity to control 8.8 MM shares of a turn-around story at $ 8.85/shr. BB will trade above $ 20.00/shr in two years and both of them will run to the bank together. I don't think BB has to buy anything else to make their business grow. Sure, they could pickup a minor acquisition for $ less than $ 200 MM but that doesn't require $ 605 MM in financing. Personally, I want them to do what VRX did, acquire companies of great value, like Good, but I want them to pay for those acquisitions and not borrow to do so. John feels he has all of his ducks in a row and that is very good news for shareholders.

Let's see if we can close strong for tomorrow!
    09-27-16 09:12 AM
    Hi Morgan8 and thank you!!!

Your insight on this thread is really appreciated by me and others.

Cheers mate!
    09-27-16 09:40 AM
    but he should made it seem like hardware would play a very small role in the new company
    It is.
    09-27-16 11:11 AM
    Hi Morgan8 and thank you!!!

Your insight on this thread is really appreciated by me and others.

Cheers mate!
    Thanks for those kind words, as you know, this is just my personal opinion of how things are going, do not invest based on what I say! One of the most important aspects of investing is understanding who has money committed to your investment and precisely how important it is for them to succeed. Prem has a large portion of his public investment tied up in BlackBerry, at higher costs than me. John Chen has a potential windfall coming to him if he can get the stock price above $ 8.85/shr so even though I won't be communicating with either of these guys anytime soon, I like that I'm in much lower then them.

Let's take SPHS, they recently did a financing at $ 4.10/shr including warrants for another $ 27 MM bucks. It is nice to know that our family is in the same investment as these guys at a much lower entry point. It feels good to know that others like what you see in an investment and they are prepared to investment far more money at far higher pricing. I see the stock popping above $ 4.10/shr/ then I see those warrants getting exercised, and at that point, the company will be flush with cash at a much higher levels regarding the price of the stock; versus me! Makes you feel good to know others are more aggressive then you about the same investment.

Back to BlackBerry, we made a high first thing this morning which landed the chart pattern at a pennant formation, this is good as it looks like everyone is content with the price of the stock based upon current analyst forecasts for Q2. We aren't likely to close above $ 7.93 today but it wouldn't matter anyway as tomorrow news will trump TA. BlackBerry has been very good at beating Q forecasts lately so it would be nice to see HW break-even and all others to show growth. Good luck everyone!
    ZayDub, Greened, rarsen and 12 others like this.
    09-27-16 11:51 AM
    Hi bbjdog !!!

I'm standing by my theory that Prem Watsa was given another round of financing by John Chen to correct his average purchase price on those 43 MM shares at $ 16.50/shr. He had no choice back in late 2012 but to try and buyout BlackBerry to save his investment and that has been the theme every since then. Remember, he held 51 MM shares at various levels of pricing going into the massive drop in the stock. He tried to get a buyer but he needed too much to break-even and so he resorted to a refinancing deal that would see him get a massive average price in the $ 13.50/shr area which was safe against a low ball takeover. As soon as the stock rouse to $ 10.00 plus, he sold 9 MM shares to bring his average down and comply with the restraints of the public fund agreement. When you think about it, he did nothing less than many of us have done done with our investments, that is, average down.

Fast forward until today, Prem gets a monster penalty payment from BB to retire the old bonds, he received 6% on the original bond investment and now holds a large block of stock at $ 10.00 which still pays him a dividend or sorts so that he has worked his cost basis on the original shares well below $ 13.50/shr. He couldn't have done this without John Chen's help in the matter. It doesn't end there, he is assured by John that the eventual buyout price will be much higher than his investment!!

I do believe this is how things have gone, John was appointed/hired by Prem, John is indebted to him for saving BB and giving him the opportunity to control 8.8 MM shares of a turn-around story at $ 8.85/shr. BB will trade above $ 20.00/shr in two years and both of them will run to the bank together. I don't think BB has to buy anything else to make their business grow. Sure, they could pickup a minor acquisition for $ less than $ 200 MM but that doesn't require $ 605 MM in financing. Personally, I want them to do what VRX did, acquire companies of great value, like Good, but I want them to pay for those acquisitions and not borrow to do so. John feels he has all of his ducks in a row and that is very good news for shareholders.

Let's see if we can close strong for tomorrow!
    I love reading your synopses Morgan! Thanks for your insights and review!

Great question also bbjdog!

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    09-27-16 11:54 AM
    09-27-16 01:24 PM
    Predictions : SP over $9. Posts over 100K.

Posted on my Still Awesome Z30
    ZayDub and Greened like this.
    09-27-16 02:51 PM
    I see revenue lower. But hardware positive (just a wee bit) due to the BBM licensing and maybe some rev from the Hub services (Android -- and which BTW I just subscribed to today on my Note 7!). Software growing, good contracts signed this past Q, and maybe we can see some new IP monetization / recurring contract rev?

Anyways, mobile devices unit positive, and the naysayers will say they only did it with device software rev so 'really' their hardware is still not profitable (ugh). All others positive and growing and software gains more than BES loss.

$9.20 close. Finally regaining $10 within 3 weeks.

We'll see.

Good luck folks!
    09-27-16 03:20 PM
    I see revenue lower. But hardware positive (just a wee bit) due to the BBM licensing and maybe some rev from the Hub services (Android -- and which BTW I just subscribed to today on my Note 7!). Software growing, good contracts signed this past Q, and maybe we can see some new IP monetization / recurring contract rev?

Anyways, mobile devices unit positive, and the naysayers will say they only did it with device software rev so 'really' their hardware is still not profitable (ugh). All others positive and growing and software gains more than BES loss.

$9.20 close. Finally regaining $10 within 3 weeks.

We'll see.

Good luck folks!
    Okay, you dragged me out of investment retirement, and a cold beer, to tell you that I like your enthusiasm!! If we can shake off that HW problem tomorrow and see software outperform SAF, we are bound to rally along those lines. The stock is ready to rally, we just need John Chen to follow through on some good news. Best of luck and I hope you are right! Ha!
    09-27-16 04:54 PM
    Remember, boys and girls...

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Sept. 14, 2016) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) will be reporting results for the second quarter of fiscal 2017 on September 28, 2016. A conference call and live webcast will be held beginning at 8 am ET, which can be accessed by dialing 1-844-309-0607 or by logging on at Investor Events - Canada
    rarsen, masterful and Greened like this.
    09-27-16 06:32 PM
    Just a few numbers that might come in handy:

Last year we had 74 mio USD in software revenue and 211 mio USD in SAF revenue. This time, we're expecting revenue from SAF to be about 85 mio USD (compared to 106 mio last quarter) and hopefully software will be at least 186 mio USD to set off the decline in SAF (compared to 165 mio last quarter) - which would mean YoY growth of approx. 251% due to Q2 having been a slower quarter with regards to software for BlackBerry ("historically"). Which makes me believe they'll probably need a licensing deal to get there?

Recurring revenue last quarter was said to be approx. 122 mio USD..

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 07:09 PM
    Mr BBRY, rarsen, masterful and 3 others like this.
    09-27-16 07:12 PM
    09-27-16 07:21 PM
    Legal...

09-27-16 07:33 PM
    FWIW: DTEK60
    BlackBerry DTEK60: Erste Pressebilder und ein relativ g�nstiger Preis - WinFuture.de

Pics + this

The BlackBerry DTEK60 is according to our source from the 11th November be available in Canada and is there for $ 699 (CAD) to be available without a contract, which is equivalent to just 471 euros. The unit would thus have surprisingly low for a flagship smartphone with such features of a western manufacturer.
    09-27-16 07:43 PM
    My estimate, fwiw:

Software: 215mn
    Mobility: 99mn
    SAF:81mn

Total: 395mn

EPS: +0.02

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-27-16 11:36 PM
113,256 ... 39863987398839893990 ...