View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Makes sense. Especially if can get Android just as secure. Then BlackBerry could secure other companies devices and make money off that too

Posted via CB10
    Lots of potential

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    theRock1975 and CDM76 like this.
    07-21-16 08:55 AM
    That "1y Target Est" seems just about right...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry.png

I guess we should start planning a few $100 parties!
    07-21-16 10:40 AM
    That "1y Target Est" seems just about right...

I guess we should start planning a few $100 parties!
    At $1500 I'd gladly cover the refreshments!

That's an estimate that would make even the unabashed optimists on this thread blush.
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-21-16 10:58 AM
    At $1500 I'd gladly cover the refreshments!

That's an estimate that would make even the unabashed optimists on this thread blush.
    I've always wanted to try some Glenfidditch, they have a line labeled 50 YEAR OLD that were from two different casts, dating back to 1955. If you could round up a few bottles of that it would be appreciated.
    07-21-16 11:29 AM
    BlackBerry Hamburg visits the FCC, confirms TCL is the phone's manufacturer

The FCC had the honor of hosting a visit by the BlackBerry Hamburg, the manufacturer's second Android powered phone and its first new handset since the BlackBerry Priv. The device carries the model number of STH-100-2 (RJD211LW), and the FCC documents confirm that TCL is the manufacturer of the phone. This dovetails with previous rumors that this model is a re-branded Alcatel Idol 4. TCL owns Alcatel.

In addition, the 2610mAh battery listed by the FCC as powering the Hamburg happens to match the size of the cell inside the Alcatel Idol 4. Additionally, a GFXBench benchmark test of the Hamburg nearly had the same exact specs as the Idol 4, except under the hood. The GFXBench test showed the new 'Berry driven by a Snapdragon 615 SoC, with an octa-core 1.5GHz CPU. The Alcatel Idol 4 is powered by a Snapdragon 617 chipset, with an octa-core 1.7GHz CPU inside.

The other specs include a 5.2-inch screen with a 1080 x 1920 resolution. 3GB of RAM is inside with 16GB of internal storage. There is a 13MP rear camera and an 8MP front-facing selfie snapper with wide angle capabilities. Android 6.0.1 is pre-installed inside the Hamburg. And if you need another reason to believe that there is a similarity between the BlackBerry phone and the Idol 4, there will be no physical QWERTY on this new BlackBerry handset. An earlier rumor suggests that the phone will be given the BlackBerry Neon moniker. We could see the Neon unveiled as soon as next week. Just the other day, CEO John Chen told those attending the BlackBerry Security Summit that the company will discuss its new hardware sometime next week.

Next up for BlackBerry after the Neon will be a handset code named the BlackBerry Rome. This model will include a physical QWERTY keyboard.
    07-21-16 02:10 PM
    07-21-16 02:16 PM
    This is from last week

http://bizblog.blackberry.com/2016/0...ys-for-itself/

But I like that they are expanding the use-cases for At-Hoc

Posted via CB10
    07-21-16 02:46 PM

Published on Jul 21, 2016
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen speaks at the 3rd-annual BlackBerry Security Summit event, held in New York City on July 19th, 2016. Chen details BlackBerry's end-to-end mobile security strategy, from devices, to software, to the Internet of Things, BlackBerry's recent business accomplishments (including our strong endorsements from Gartner and Forrester Research, and government certifications), and also survey results that show how nervous CEOs are about their own mobile security.
    07-21-16 06:58 PM
    OT from Related Technologies and Security files, incoming pain from the poorly prepared:

Most companies still can't spot incoming cyberattacks | ZDNet

"79 percent of cybersecurity professionals say that their organisations are struggling to monitor the internet for the external threats posed by hackers and cybercriminals. ... businesses are on average experiencing more than one external cyberattack a month, with these repeated security breaches resulting in an annual average cost of around $3.5m. But while many companies are failing to properly monitor external threats, the majority do recognise that they should be carrying out activities such as monitoring mobile apps, looking out for social engineering and phishing attempts, and keeping an eye on cyber threats - around 60 percent of respondents listed these activities as essential or very important to their business. echoing previous reports of a severe lack of cybersecurity professionals and understanding of the risks caused by poor defences."
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    07-21-16 07:10 PM
    And time for MSFT to buy BBRY. Else Google. It will happen....eventually.
    I'm with you on the MS-BlackBerry thing, but one of the main reasons why I use BlackBerry is because I don't want -the Google-.
    That would be bad...

Real bad.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 07-22-16 at 01:32 AM.
    theRock1975 and CDM76 like this.
    07-22-16 01:21 AM
    I'm with you on the MS-BlackBerry thing, but one of the main reasons why I use BlackBerry is because I don't want -the Google-.
    That would be bad...

Real bad.
    What is the reasonable price do you think? For sure not under Prem average!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    07-22-16 06:14 AM
    BlackBerry Wins U.S. Patent Infringement Lawsuit Brought by Mobile Telecommunications LLC

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - July 22, 2016) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today announced that a federal jury ruled in favor of BlackBerry in a patent infringement case brought by Mobile Telecommunications LLC (MTel) in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. The verdict was a sweeping victory for BlackBerry, as the jury found that BlackBerry did not infringe the MTel patent at issue.

MTel originally claimed BlackBerry infringed five patents. Prior to trial, the Court found that two of the patents were directed to non-patentable subject matter, that BlackBerry did not infringe one of the patents, and that one of the patents was indefinite. The patent in-suit covered a two-way communication system for communication between a system network and a mobile unit.

"We are pleased with the jury's verdict," said Steve Zipperstein, Chief Legal Officer at BlackBerry. "We will continue defending BlackBerry vigorously against meritless lawsuits."
    theRock1975, W Hoa, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    07-22-16 07:09 AM

Published on Jul 11, 2016
    Protect your content everywhere it travels with the world leader in Secure File Synchronization and Sharing. Recognized as a global leader by Industry Analysts, WatchDox by BlackBerry is the only solution that can systematically enforce file-level DRM security for critical business content and applications. Connect people to the files they need to get work done, from anywhere on any platform or any device and know that you will always be in full control of your files, even after they are downloaded by third-parties.
    07-22-16 07:37 AM
    Side note, I miss that old Yahoo Finance. RIP
    07-22-16 10:26 AM
    Side note, I miss that old Yahoo Finance. RIP
    Same, i might revert back to old apk

Posted via CB10
    anon(5846467) likes this.
    07-22-16 10:51 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies and Security file, getting to be rather routine regular stuff now with numbers continually adding. Still surprising that people don't re-act more, IMHO government won't need to legislate to install or hackers do much effort to access back-doors, as they have all they want from lax controls from the wide open front-doors. Be careful out there:

Hacker steals 1.6 million accounts from top mobile game's forum | ZDNet
    "making off with close to 1.6 million accounts of Clash of Kings" which stands as one of the most popular mobile games today, with upwards of 100 million installs on Android alone."

More "mega breaches" to come, as rival hackers vie for sales | ZDNet
    "MySpace, LinkedIn, and Tumblr were all crucified for their failure to keep their users' data secure. A Russian seller who goes by the name "Tessa88" claimed to have 103 million stolen accounts, according to an early March listing on a hacker's forum. Here's the spoiler alert: A company doesn't necessarily have to have its systems breached to fall victim to a "hack" -- at least in how it appears. It's more likely that years of password reuse are coming back to bite millions on the behind -- because these shared lists of logins can be repackaged and sold on as a "verified" breach of another service. With a dark web market close to reaching a billion logins -- and another billion said to be in the pipeline -- it's not unreasonable to expect the worst. "There's been a hack." "Another company breached." That recirculated data will remain useful to someone -- an account hijacker, phisher, or just a typical run-of-the-mill spammer -- in one way or another, and for years to come."

Ransomware customer service: Negotiation is always on the table | ZDNet
    "The malware strain has evolved from targeting gamers to taking on more lucrative targets, including universities and hospitals -- with demands for payment going from $200 to thousands of dollars.Many ransomware infections display an imposed time to try and panic users into paying as quickly as possible."
    masterful, morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    07-22-16 07:53 PM
    Sounds like another phone OS is going down. This time it's Cyanogen OS.

From: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...p-development/

Cyanogen Inc. reportedly fires OS development arm, switches to apps
    What happens to an Android OS company when it stops developing an Android OS?

by Ron Amadeo - Jul 22, 2016 3:50pm PDT

Cyanogen Inc. seems to be in trouble. A report from Android Police*cites "several sources" that say the*three-year-old*Android software house*will be laying off 20 percent of its workforce. One source*said the company would "pivot" to "apps" and away from OS development.

"Cyanogen" branding can be confusing, so here's a quick glossary before we get started:

Cyanogen�A person. Steve Kondik. The guy that originally started CyanogenMod.
    CyanogenMod�A*free, open source, OS heavily based on Android and compatible with hundreds of devices. Anyone can download and flash the OS to a compatible*device.
    Cyanogen OS�A*for-profit OS that OEMs can purchase and ship on devices. It's the CyanogenMod codebase with some proprietary features on top*and update support from Cyanogen Inc.
    Cyanogen Inc.�A for-profit company that aims to sell Cyanogen OS to OEMs. Formed with key members from the open-source project.
    Cyanogen Mods�Cyanogen Inc.'s proprietary app platform for Cyanogen OS.
    The Android Police report says "roughly 30 out of the 136 people Cyanogen Inc. employs" are being cut, and that the*layoffs*"most heavily impact the open source arm" of the company. *Android Police goes on to say that*CyanogenMod development by Cyanogen Inc "may be eliminated entirely." The community could continue to develop CyanogenMod, but it seems many of the core CyanogenMod developers at the company will no longer be paid to work on CyanogenMod.

Hopefully BlackBerry can hold on a little longer with BB10 and resurrect it at a later date.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and Superfly_FR like this.
    07-23-16 02:37 PM
    07-24-16 04:22 PM
    Can't read.

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    07-24-16 06:20 PM
    Can't read.
    There you go.

Verizon Finalizes $4.8 Billion Yahoo Deal

Verizon plans to announce deal early Monday, ending months of speculation

Verizon Communications Inc. has agreed to pay $4.8 billion to acquire Yahoo Inc., according to a person familiar with the matter, ending a drawn-out auction process for the beleaguered internet company.

The price tag, which includes Yahoo’s core internet business and some real estate, is a remarkable fall for the Silicon Valley web pioneer that once had a market capitalization of more than $125 billion at the height of the dot-com boom.

For New York-based Verizon, the deal simply adds another piece to the digital media and advertising business it is trying to build.

The deal is expected to be announced early Monday. The news was earlier reported by Recode and Bloomberg.

Verizon plans to keep the Yahoo brand, according to a person familiar with its plans.

Yahoo’s chief executive, Marissa Mayer, is unlikely to have a prominent role—if any—under Verizon, people familiar with the matter said. She stands to make more than $50 million in compensation if she is terminated as a result of the sale, after earning over $100 million in cash and equity.

When the bidding began in April, Verizon was the immediate front-runner with a market capitalization of roughly $228 billion and a plan for how to plug Yahoo into its upstart digital media business, which includes AOL properties it acquired last year for $4.4 billion.

Verizon’s competition came primarily from private-equity firms such as Bain Capital, Vista Equity Partners, TPG and Advent International Inc., as well as a group led by Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert. AT&T Inc. joined the bidding process later, but it wasn’t seen as a serious contender, people familiar with the matter said.

Verizon in June submitted a bid of $3 billion, but that didn’t include Yahoo’s real estate and came before last week’s final round of bidding.

Verizon is building a portfolio of online content and aiming to monetize it via advertising. Its current assets include Huffington Post and TechCrunch, which it acquired in last year’s AOL deal, and its own mobile video app, called go90. Acquiring Yahoo will bring in millions more viewers from Yahoo sites like Finance, Sports and News.

Verizon also hopes to plug data derived from smartphones into AOL, and now Yahoo’s, digital advertising systems, and it is aiming to build a competitor to online advertising giants Facebook Inc. and Alphabet Inc.’s Google.

But a combined Yahoo and AOL would be far outpaced by its now far-larger rivals.

Google and Facebook will account for more than half of the $69 billion U.S. digital ad market this year, according to estimates by data firm eMarketer. Yahoo’s share is expected to be 3.4%; Verizon properties including AOL hold an even-smaller 1.8% of the market, according to eMarketer.

Yahoo’s hold on the market is also slipping. In 2014, Yahoo generated $2.54 billion in revenue from U.S. digital ads. That is expected to be $2.32 billion in 2016, or 8.7% lower, according to eMarketer.

“The headwinds for all large players not named Google and Facebook are very real,” said Pivotal Research analyst Brian Wieser. “Noticeable growth only has a chance to come with ongoing investment, whether M&A or internal.”

Last week, Yahoo said second-quarter revenue, minus commissions paid to partners for web traffic, fell 19%. This marked the sixth decline in the past seven periods and the steepest slump under Ms. Mayer.

The Sunnyvale, Calif., company also said display ad prices fell 15% year-over-year in the second quarter, while search ad prices fell 8%. During a conference call with analysts, executives said video ad prices were under pressure because of an influx of video ad supply and “uncertainty” around the Yahoo sale process.

Ms. Mayer also struck a different tone. While past calls were focused on growth, Ms. Mayer spent considerable time touting the company’s lower cost structure. Yahoo’s head count has shrunk about 15% this year to 8,800 employees.

“The pace of cost cutting is significant,” wrote Bernstein Research analyst Carlos Kirjner in a July 19 note. “We suspect that there will be a price to be paid in the future for these fast, deep cuts, reflected in lower revenue growth.”

Analysts are divided on the value of Yahoo’s core business. The decline in search revenue prompted Credit Suisse to cut its valuation of Yahoo’s core business to $7 billion, down from $8 billion. But that is more robust than Mr. Kirjner’s estimate of $3.4 billion.

The Verizon deal is the first major step toward unwinding Yahoo. Next up is a trove of about 3,000 patents, which Yahoo is selling in a separate auction, that is expected to fetch more than $1 billion.

The patents date back to Yahoo’s initial public offering in 1996 and cover key areas such as e-commerce, online advertising and search, including its original search technology.

Yahoo also will need to figure out what to do with its stakes in Yahoo Japan Corp., majority-owned by SoftBank Group Corp., and Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., considered to make up the majority of Yahoo’s roughly $36 billion market value today.
    rarsen, dusdal, masterful and 2 others like this.
    07-24-16 07:17 PM
    OT: SPHS

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-sphs-1y-chart-5.20-7.25.16.png

Looks like SPHS is on fire again today. Huge PM volume at over 5 bucks! With the enormous jump this stock has taken in the past month, I took some profits on Friday and will probably take some more today. I hope several members here are on board this rally and enjoying it as much as I am. Even though I think it's still undervalued at $100MM market cap, and funds seem to be moving into the trade, and it's probably a great candidate for a takeover, I'd be a fool not to take some money off the table and roll it into.... BBRY! Thanks a million to M+8 for calling this one! Now let's get back to working on that $20 share price (for BBRY) so I can fund one of these for our party...

10 Most Expensive Whiskeys In The World
    CDM76, Corbu, take99 and 8 others like this.
    07-25-16 08:30 AM
    BlackBerry's licensing strategy looks smart ? and a lot like Nokia's ? The Register

It's an IP world now

Analysis BlackBerry didn’t show a new phone in New York City at its annual Security Summit last week, and CEO John Chen sounded a bit fed up that the assembled press corps kept asking about phones. But there was enough in his comments to glean how BlackBerry’s device strategy has evolved - and it’s following a familiar path taken by once-mighty Western electronics brands.

One, in fact, that’s remarkably similar to that of Nokia. Not to mention Leica and Zeiss.

All these companies are essentially licensing their brand and – in varying degrees – their technology know-how too. It’s a recognition that the global centre of gravity for manufacturing is now In China, which can also absorb the risk of moving into new markets. And in theory, it suits both sides. If Chinese industry can out-engineer and out-manufacture the West, it hasn’t yet show it can out market an Apple or a Sony.

Nokia announced its strategy in November 2014, but it was off to a bit of a false start. The N1 tablet, manufactured by Foxconn, never appeared in the West (and didn’t really appear in China for very long either). It took 18 months to clarify, with the formation of a new company in May, HMD Global Oy.

In BlackBerry’s case, it’s going to be subtly different. The brand comes with a software stack and set of requirements before it can be deemed worthy of carrying the logo. BlackBerry announced its “crown jewels” were available for licensing back last year at Mobile World Congress, when it promised to license and/or make its software suite available for iOS and Android.

This appears to be a further evolution: securing a third party device, loading it with some BlackBerry software, and then branding and selling it. The first fruit of this is expected to be announced imminently, with a “BlackBerry-ized” Alcatel Idol 4.

Last week, the TCL-manufactured BlackBerry device showed up again in regulatory reports.

“We have a tremendous amount of technology. We can stay in the handset biz by not making every handset,” said John Chen last week.

Musing on what BlackBerry could license, he explained:

“Maybe even the name. But obviously this is at a different level, we have to protect our brand reputation.”

Chen had justified the continuation of a device business because so many blue chip enterprise customers were BES and Blackberry device customers too.

“I could stay in the handset business, where I provide a strong secure end point and by providing customers continuity and a soft landing - if I can make money doing that.”

How much BlackBerry is there in a rebadged phone?

It’s an acknowledgement of the reality that even the once unassailable high-margin electronics brands have had to confront. German imaging giant Leica is synonymous with high end SLRs, and vows to stay there, but is gradually complementing this by licensing much of its IP portfolio, allowing Chinese manufacturers to buy some credibility. The first results of the multiyear agreement between Huawei and Leica emerged in April.

This raised some to question how deeply Leica was involved in co-engineering the dual lens imaging units. But it’s actually subtly deeper than most people realise. Optical giant Zeiss (formerly Carl Zeiss) apparently certifies factories when it deems that they pass its tests. Reading the joint statement issued by Huawei and Leica, we could infer that the agreement works in a similar way. Pay particular attention to the lines: “Collaborative development, evaluation optimization of optical design (lens calculation) in compliance with Leica standards” and “Definition of the most stringent common quality standards and production requirements for serial production by Huawei to ensure consistently high quality.” (Our emphasis added). We've asked Leica for comment.

For BlackBerry branding to work, it would be wise to do something similar. Security concerns over Chinese technology have inhibited their growth in the USA. BlackBerry calls itself an end-to-end security company these days, and touts its Priv as the most “secure” Android. And it sells to the most security-conscious customers in US defence and government. So assuring people the manufacturing processes are squeaky clean is probably a prerequisite.

If BlackBerry can pull it off, it may yet confound expectations and stay in the device game for a while yet.
    07-25-16 08:42 AM
    BlackBerry Offers Secure Apps via Microsoft's Azure Cloud Platform

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - July 25, 2016) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in secure mobile communications, today announced that more of BlackBerry's secure enterprise mobility solutions have been added to the open, flexible, enterprise-grade cloud computing platform Microsoft Azure. Enterprises can now opt to install and deploy the Good Dynamics Secure Mobility Platform by BlackBerry through Microsoft Azure to mobilize a broad range of business apps, including collaboration apps, ISV apps and custom-developed apps. With Good Dynamics in Microsoft Azure, the growing number of businesses in emerging enterprise cloud environments can leverage enhanced security to ensure critical business data is never put at risk.

"With BlackBerry�s Good Dynamics now on the Microsoft Azure platform, we continue to help protect customers' data and enhance our ecosystem of business-critical apps," said Steve Guggenheimer, Corporate Vice President, Developer Experience & Evangelism and Chief Evangelist, Microsoft Corp.

"As we work side-by-side with Microsoft we are providing customers with a breadth of new options to enhance and increase their mobile security," said Billy Ho, Executive Vice President, Enterprise Product and Value Added Solutions, BlackBerry. "By utilizing Good Dynamics through the Microsoft Azure cloud platform, customers have more flexibility in their deployment of BlackBerry�s industry-leading solutions - without having to sacrifice user experience or introduce more complexity into their environments."

Since March 2016, enterprises have been able to install and manage their BES12 deployment through the Microsoft Azure platform. This means customers have full access to their BES12 licenses while benefiting from the Microsoft cloud architecture - without having to invest in their own IT infrastructure. Good Dynamics is also tightly integrated with BES12 for secure holistic end-to-end capabilities and is available in the Good Secure EMM Suites from BlackBerry.
    07-25-16 09:04 AM
    Hoping the democratic party uses MobileIron's MDM solution..

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-25-16 at 01:11 PM. Reason: (back to normal, sry)
    Mr BBRY and andyk350 like this.
    07-25-16 12:23 PM
113,256 ... 39513952395339543955 ...