Considering that Apple sold 1.3 million in its first full quarter, RIM sold 2.4 million BlackBerries during the same quarter, 2.7 million is a horrible number for 2013.

So in reality, Apple sold 50% as many phones as BlackBerry did in the iPhone's first quarter!
    How many carriers was the original iPhone on at launch and in the first quarter after launch? Compare that with BlackBerry's...
    07-09-13 12:15 PM
    2.7 million phones in 150 countries is 18,000 per country. Ugh!!

Given that Canada had such an uptake, I wonder what percentage were sold there?
    07-09-13 10:50 PM
    I believe Thor said it was beyond expectations for their launch.
    Guys, this isn't rocket science. If the number had been "beyond expectations" the stock wouldn't have taken a giant dump.

Here, from a NYT article:
    Late last month, BlackBerry said that it had shipped just 2.7 million of the new models, about a million fewer than analysts expected.
    -BlackBerry Chief Admits Release of New Phones in U.S. Was Flawed, By IAN AUSTEN, Published: July 9, 2013
    Last edited by Fuzzballz; 07-16-13 at 10:04 PM.
    07-16-13 09:53 PM
    Guys, this isn't rocket science. If the number had been "beyond expectations" the stock wouldn't have taken a giant dump.

Here, from a NYT article:

-BlackBerry Chief Admits Release of New Phones in U.S. Was Flawed, By IAN AUSTEN, Published: July 9, 2013
    I was simply refuting you saying that the launch was below BlackBerry's own forecasts.

It was below the analyst expectations after they revised it upwards in the last week before the ER. This says nothing of Thor's own expectations.... not rocket science.
    peter9477 likes this.
    07-16-13 11:02 PM
    I was simply refuting you saying that the launch was below BlackBerry's own forecasts.

It was below the analyst expectations after they revised it upwards in the last week before the ER. This says nothing of Thor's own expectations.... not rocket science.
    Before I turn it over to Brian, let me provide some thoughts on our outlook. Let me start with Blackberry 10. With only a few weeks of availability, and in only a couple of countries, Blackberry 10 made a strong entry into the high end of these markets, with approximately 1 million Blackberry 10 units.

Today, our launch is even accelerating. 223 carrier [technical] acceptances have already been completed, and over 60 carriers are now launched across 40 countries, and there are still more than 30 countries to come. And for Q10, our first lab entry was achieved in late February, and Q10 is now testing with over 40 carriers in 20 countries.

As mentioned at our launch in January, availability of Q10 will commence in April. The initial early global demand for the 10 has been better than anticipated, and our recent announcement of the largest single purchase order in our history, for 1 million units, is also indicative of a strong initial support and demand.

As a result of this better than expected demand, production was increased in the latter part of the fourth quarter. We�ve just started selling in the U.S., and the launch is meeting our early expectations. Interest from corporate customers and our [unintelligible] solution is also high.

Blackberry CEO Discusses Q4 2013 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

If you think that sort of talk are the words of someone expecting to only ship 2.7 million in total in the next quarter...
    07-17-13 03:15 PM

If the company has expectations that are far below those of outside analysts, then I, as a shareholder, would be extremely worried.
    07-17-13 04:13 PM
    I believe how they communicated expectations was poor.

However, they shipped more in their first full quarter than anyone has before. I can imagine one would base internal expectations to some degree on those benchmarks.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 06:27 PM
157 ... 567