CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will any charger that fits work?

Will a friend's HTC charger, or the B&N Nook charger work safely on the Blackberry? For that matter, does any device charger that fits work? Many now have the "universal" plugs.
    John in North Carolina
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Not all micro-USB chargers have the same pinout so some may work and some may not. We had a user with an iGo charger who went to get new tips to fit his 8530. The Radio Shack guy just grabbed the first micro-USB tips he saw, but they were for a Palm or something and wouldn't charge the BB.

If you see the lightning bolt when you plug it in, it should be fine.
    They talk about me like a dog, talkin' about the clothes I wear
    But they don't realize they're the ones who's square.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I used to read that the BB chargers had a micro chip that avoided overcharging, and Motorola in the past didn't, for example. Is that not relevant anymore?
    John in North Carolina

Global Posts
    30,971 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

BlackBerry is pretty much an equal-opportunity charger. I've charged from every microUSB charger I've been able to locate. It is actually rare to find a charger it won't charge from. I've heard said of those that couldn't, but haven't encountered one, myself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,143 Global Posts

MicroUSB is the new standard. The pinout does not vary. Here is a link to a wikipedia article: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does vary is the current capability. The USB spec is 5V at 500mA-900mA. If you have an older charger, it may only be capable of delivering 500mA. A newer device may require 700mA or more to charge. A charger that cannot deliver sufficient charging current won't hurt your device, it just will charge it more slowly, or it may not charge it at all.

So the correct answer is, any device that fits and can deliver the same charging current as the OEM charger that shipped with your device will work. You can find the output current in the label on the charger. Or you can just try it. If the connector fits, it won't hurt your device.

Global Posts
    30,971 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    MicroUSB is the new standard. The pinout does not vary. Here is a link to a wikipedia article: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does vary is the current capability. The USB spec is 5V at 500mA-900mA. If you have an older charger, it may only be capable of delivering 500mA. A newer device may require 700mA or more to charge. A charger that cannot deliver sufficient charging current won't hurt your device, it just will charge it more slowly, or it may not charge it at all.

So the correct answer is, any device that fits and can deliver the same charging current as the OEM charger that shipped with your device will work. You can find the output current in the label on the charger. Or you can just try it. If the connector fits, it won't hurt your device.
    Thanks for putting that up. I'm currently rebuilding my links and, well, I was feeling too lazy to look it up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

At work, I and another BB user use an old RAZR charger (because our work phones are RAZR's - blech), and it works just fine. I do believe the BB charger works a little faster, but that could be my imagination.

However, a BB charger will not charge a RAZR.
    Banned

From the wall, a blackberry can charge at 1250 mA. Usually, when the battery is topped, it falls to like 235 mA or to what the current device is consuming. USB charging from a computer is fixed at 500 mA. So, basically if you are doing some really intensive stuff and you are over 500 mA of consumption, charge rate will be negative =[.

This is all taken from the engineering screen.
    Last edited by gbsn; 01-06-2011 at 01:54 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

From what I read and know, the ability to charge and how fast a charger charges are two different things. First, the ability to charge is measured in Voltage. The bigger the battery, the higher voltage it needs to be charged. For instance, car battery and cell phone battery both have way different Voltage. A 5V (normal voltage for charging cell phone batteries) charger can't charge car battery not even a tiny bit at all due to small load of Voltage (if I'm not mistaken, car battery requires 12V?). While car battery charger will definitely damage cell phone battery due to overload.

Secondly, the current output measurement in mAh (mA per hour) is the actual power being stored in the battery. The higher the mAh output, the lesser time is required to complete a charge. A MS-1 battery has the capacity to hold approximately 1,500mAh. That means using a 5V with 750mAh ouput charger should require 2-hour of charging. Well, it's not that simple. Current Li-Ion batteries now have a built-in chip to protect and automatically cut power from charger when the battery is full. Because of that feature charging speed will decrease when battery is nearly full and then stopped when it's full. That's why it takes more than 2 hours to fully charge a MS-1 battery using that 750mAh output charger.

Furthermore, that built-in chip could also shut down your battery if you drained Li-Ion battery completely. This is also why you need to charge whenever you can. And I believe this is why your BlackBerry turns its radio by itself when the battery is nearly depleted. It's all by design.

Hope this helps.