Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default toughest/most durable case for the 9810?

Ok- so I upgraded from the 9700 with an Otterbox defender. That thing was tough as nails.

The other day I'm in the store getting my new torch. They don't make the otterbox defender series. I go with the commuter series and it is ok. Nothing more, nothing less. Just an ok case.

I work in law enforcement. I need the case that offers the best protection. Can anyone offer me some suggestions?

Thanks.
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    20,350 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

Honestly, I don't think you'll find anything tougher than the Otterbox.
    I hear you, though....I worked search and rescue and I know the beating the phones can take. I'm sorry, I really don't think there is anything that offers more protection that the commuter series.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Addict

Otterbox is #1 for protecting your berry!
    BlackberryCodeSource.com

Current Phones Z30, Q10, iP5S, Samsung GNote 3, HTC One M8!

Can't wait for the one and only game changing......... BB Passport !!!!!
    CrackBerry Genius

If the 9810 is anything like the 9800(we all know by now there identical form factors), we have read numerous horror stories about OB and the torch(If i remember right there was several posts about it actually spreading the 2 halves apart). Best case for me was the AGF GRT + Ghost Armor screen protector.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    Thanked by:
    Steelerstitch (09-12-2011) 
    Slammers08 and thelighthouse2 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!

Cases for the 98XX phones make the trackpad unusable. You simply cannot add mass to the leading edge of the screen/trackpad housing and have the trackpad operate properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD7C82

I have the AGF GRT on the way, ordered from Amazon. Anyone have this case? Feelings on it?I like the look of it, and it seems tough as ****, How is the holster?
    We don't go to Ravenholm.....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,878 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask and maybe I'll tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Schufly View Post
    I have the AGF GRT on the way, ordered from Amazon. Anyone have this case? Feelings on it?I like the look of it, and it seems tough as ****, How is the holster?
    HATE it! It interfears with the trackpad and the buttons aren't easy to get to :/ only good part is the magnetic holster. I'm getting another otterbox (top part sux) I get a silicone top from ebay with the AGF holster, perfect match

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Schufly View Post
    I had the AGF GRT for my 9800 - when I got my 9810 I ordered a ottorbox - did not like the feel or the looks of the ottorbox - returned it and went back to my AGF GRT. Best case I have ever had. And if you have any issues with "wobble" the AFG seems to correct this issue. It is difficult to get off to do a battery pull, but I have dropped my phone several times and the case has never ever come off the phone! Highly recomment it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN

alt + shift + del = Battery Pull

No need to go ripping your case off.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD7C82

Thanks, am looking forward to getting it. I work in rough environments so the extra protection will be welcome. Does it fit in the holster well? I've seen that as a complaint.
    We don't go to Ravenholm.....
    CrackBerry User

[QUOTE=olblueyez;6663974]Cases for the 98XX phones make the trackpad unusable. You simply cannot add mass to the leading edge of the screen/trackpad housing and have the trackpad operate properly.

Actually I have a case for my Torch. Track pad works fine. No problems

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

I use a AGF GRT case with a Seidio holster, no screen protection. Tough as heck combo. The AGF holster popped my phone out at the slightest bump, my phone took quite a few falls, GRT case really works though. By the way, the trackpad works perfectly.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24EF8E5A

"AGF GRT"

would someone be so kind to post some images of this case? I don't know what it is.
    "Do not boast old woman, your death sits in that cage."
    Retired CrackBerry Ambassador

Global Posts
    20,350 Global Posts
    PIN
    nahhhhh.....

OK, I'd had my 9810 nekkid and just in a holster, but today I saw a *pink* otterbox with the white lining and I just *had* to get it!!!!
    I've never had anything that girly in my entire life!!!! But it just looked so good with my white Torch I couldn't pass it up.
    I'm so ashamed of myself....a pink Otterbox....but I just could NOT let it go
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup
    "When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates
    iMore Ambassador
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN

Women using feminine things is usually a good thing and attractive.

Thanked by:
    qbnkelt (09-10-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Qbnkelt View Post
    OK, I'd had my 9810 nekkid and just in a holster, but today I saw a *pink* otterbox with the white lining and I just *had* to get it!!!!
    I've never had anything that girly in my entire life!!!! But it just looked so good with my white Torch I couldn't pass it up.
    I'm so ashamed of myself....a pink Otterbox....but I just could NOT let it go
    That is the one I ordered - and I just today returned it. It looks cheap and does not have the feel that the AGF has. It comes in pink and white too - got mine from Amazon.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
    Cases for the 98XX phones make the trackpad unusable. You simply cannot add mass to the leading edge of the screen/trackpad housing and have the trackpad operate properly.

I don't know about making the trackpad unusable but I hate the way Torch cases reduce the headroom at the top of the keyboard...I'm using the AGF case and I don't like how my thumbs b.u.t.t. up against it when I'm typing on the top row. Feels sooooo good to take the case off and use my Torch "naked"!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    27FBCA40

Might want to try the Platinum series case that Best Buy sells. I have dropped mine a few times and no problems with it. Its rubberized for grip and comes with a holster with sleep magnet. I've been told it is the same as the Siedo case, but I'm not 100%.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
    If the 9810 is anything like the 9800(we all know by now there identical form factors), we have read numerous horror stories about OB and the torch(If i remember right there was several posts about it actually spreading the 2 halves apart). Best case for me was the AGF GRT + Ghost Armor screen protector.
    I have the AGF GRT Ballistic case it's white with a Black rubber trim that is stuck to the outside king of like the body glove snap on case.I have had the Otter box. I prefer the AGF case by far.
    CrackBerry User

Aegis trident.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ask

I'm using the Seidio Active case/holster at this time, which is pretty similar to the Otterbox Commuter (2 layer case with skin and hard outer shell). The front piece on the Otterbox case seriously stinks... pops off if you look at it wrong, much less drop it. The rest of the case is pretty solid (although not a match for the defender series of course). The Seidio front piece is better.

I do still use my Otterbox on occasion and just use one of the gel case front pieces with it.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by AugustArborists View Post
    I use a AGF GRT case with a Seidio holster, no screen protection. Tough as heck combo. The AGF holster popped my phone out at the slightest bump, my phone took quite a few falls, GRT case really works though. By the way, the trackpad works perfectly.
    Which holster from Seidio are you using?
    Sláinte!
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
    I have the AGF-GRT Endo,and I love it. Note that there is a difference between the AGF-GRT ENDO and the AGF-GRT, with the former being more rugged and bulky.

I do agree with olblueyez comments on the case making the track pad more difficult to use. However, since the 9810 has a touch screen, I find that I rarely have the need to use the trackpad. If you are a user that uses the trackpad frequently, then the GRT-ENDO case may not be the case for you.

I'm finding that the GRT-ENDO also makes the top keys more difficult to click, especially the R and T keys. I've gotten use to that now, but am still able to type faster when the top part of the case is not on.

I'd still buy this AGF-GRT ENDO case in a second though. For those times when I need to type long messages on my blackberry, I simply snap off the top part of the case (which literally takes a second to do), type up my e-mails, and then put the top part of the case back on.

Done like dinner!
    CrackBerry User

Here's a picture of my AGF GRT ENDO (black and white).

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...rry26/ENDO.gif
    Thanked by:
    Schufly (09-12-2011) 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast