Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    PIN
    1A2B3C4D
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Torch & the Otterbox Commuter

So.....I just ordered a Torch

I have a 9700 in a Otterbox Commuter case, I LOVE THE CASE. I want to order one for the Torch.

I met someone that has a Torch and they have the Commuter case as well but dont use it, they complain that the case squeezes the lock button and locks their phone randomly when using it.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or any other problems that could make me re-think purchasing the case?
    My Blackberry Evolution -- PEARL (8100) ---> CURVE (8900) ---> BOLD (9700) ---> Torch (9800) ---> Bold (9930) --->BOLD (9900)

Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence

Follow Me ---> Jhamal242
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I also gave up with the Otterbox, I loose the top keys functionality. They start out OK, but eventually become unresponsive. Like the case but unable to use it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I bought the case when I bought my phone. Hated it! I couldn't even use my top two buttons with it on. It made the phone bulky to me and just didn't fit "right". I returned it the very next day.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm using it with the Torch. It is a bit bulky but hello, it is an Otterbox so it's to be expected. I have had some issues with the case squeezing the top buttons. Almost had a heart attack thinking my new phone died so we shall see if that is a constant problem. However, I have to say that like all other Otterboxes it DOES offer some decent protection. I got the cute black and pink model. For protection, I gotta say I do like it, you just have to be mindful of those top keys.

Time will tell if it ends up being a constant or simply an occasional problem. Sorry but the phone is new to me so I'm not as much help as you may need.
    CrackBerry User

The one thing I DO like about the otterbox is that the top keys require just a tad bit more effort. I'm always locking mine by accident without the otterbox. The one thing I DON'T like is that the top QWERTY row (already tight) of keys is even more crowded from the top plate sticking down a few mm's. Sometimes I use mine without the top half installed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Banned

to prevent the top part squeezing the buttons, just flex the upper plastic part of the case outwards
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    ask!

Quote Originally Posted by gbsn View Post
    to prevent the top part squeezing the buttons, just flex the upper plastic part of the case outwards
    do you mind elaborating on this a little bit more?
    CrackBerry User

very nice
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,931 Global Posts
    PIN
    7ADFBC83

I had the OB. The slider "ring" wouldn't stay on. I've owned 5 different cases and none of the rings stay on. I'm now using an Invisible Sheild.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

No problems with mine as far as the top buttons go.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,940 Global Posts

Whatever the merits may be of the Otterbox for other BBs, the one for the Torch is pure unadulterated crap. You drop the Torch onto a soft surface from a height of 6", the top of the case pops off. Plastic junk.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jlasa06 View Post
    do you mind elaborating on this a little bit more?
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5...0102900036.jpg

Push that in the opposite direction of the arrow with light force, this will bend the plastic a bit outwards or make it softer, so it doesnt press too hard on the upper part of the device. The second otterbox i bought, had this problem, it would lock even without pressing the lock key.
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-29-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Thanked by:
    RatRacer (04-18-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

I haven't had any problems with buttons becoming inoperable. Just make sure that when you put the case on the rubber on the top doesn't snag or fold when you put it on.

If anything my only problem with the Otterbox for Torch is the front piece being a bit loose.
    CrackBerry Newbie

My torch is experiencing the wobbling slider (see the many posts re this). I have the OB installed. When the slider is closed and I push any of the bottom buttons the case makes a creaking sound (the case rubs against the top ring). It wouldn't do this if the slider didn't wobble. If I take the top 'ring' off it doesn't creak. Like 'rotaryboy' indicates, it does crowd the top row of the qwerty keyboard when you are typing with the slider open. It seems to be a good product. I might just remove the top 'ring' and use it like that. I too have an Invisible Shield to protect the screen. I am contemplating taking back my torch and have it replaced as the wobbling slider drives me nuts.
    CrackBerry User

no probs w/ my OB.
    CrackBerry User

I tried the Otterbox but I just didn't like it with the torch. The other Otterbox cases are great, but I don't think it's the best for a slider phone. If I had one of the new Bolds I'd grab one for sure though.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by izack98 View Post
    My torch is experiencing the wobbling slider (see the many posts re this). I have the OB installed. When the slider is closed and I push any of the bottom buttons the case makes a creaking sound (the case rubs against the top ring). It wouldn't do this if the slider didn't wobble. If I take the top 'ring' off it doesn't creak. Like 'rotaryboy' indicates, it does crowd the top row of the qwerty keyboard when you are typing with the slider open. It seems to be a good product. I might just remove the top 'ring' and use it like that. I too have an Invisible Shield to protect the screen. I am contemplating taking back my torch and have it replaced as the wobbling slider drives me nuts.
    had the same issue - and actually replacing my entire torch cause of this.

the case looks good - but its garbage.

ive even dropped the phone and had the top peice simply pop off on impact causing damage to the phone anyhow.

ive also found countless cases on here where it scratches the phone itself from only a week of use.

whats the point of a case that ruins a phones functionality, makes the screen loose and wobbly (if ur isnt yet it will happen), makes it harder to type, makes buttons useless, and most importantly doesn't protect the phone which is what its meant to do.

so in the end - im exchanging the torch.. returning the crap otterbox... and going oem holster untill something thats decent comes out.

those keeping the case i think are in denial because they spent $40+ on the damn case and dont want to admit to having a crap product.... i too was this person and dealt with the creeking and wobble - but dropping the phone and having the case damage the phone was enough for me.
    "Love or Hate me... I am how I am... I am who I am" - myself
    CrackBerry User

I had my OB for a month now, and I love it. No problems here. I have a newer built phone as I live in Canada, so maybe that's why I am not having any of the other issues posters have mentioned...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    22EAC4D9

I have had the same problem with thte otter box. I ditched it and just got a holster ordered for mine
    Jordan Vail
    Sales Representative
    Advanced Technologies
    Authorized AT&T Retailer
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by brb321 View Post
    I had my OB for a month now, and I love it. No problems here. I have a newer built phone as I live in Canada, so maybe that's why I am not having any of the other issues posters have mentioned...
    dont be fooled - crap torches are everywhere.. im in canada and on my second.. and a buddy of mine is on his 3rd...

just came back from my telus location where i swapped out this horrid OB case and got the oem holster - feels better.. and protects the phone without destroying it.

i still cant believe how OB is usually a great case - but with this phone its complete garbage. doesnt protect the phone, creates more screen wobble, and scratches the phone - why would you want that?

naked and holster ftw so far...
    Last edited by GrafixInk; 10-30-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    "Love or Hate me... I am how I am... I am who I am" - myself
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    PIN
    1A2B3C4D
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Hmm.....Sounds like the issues w/ the Torch and the OB Commuter case are too common for me to buy one now.

Thanks everyone for your input.
    My Blackberry Evolution -- PEARL (8100) ---> CURVE (8900) ---> BOLD (9700) ---> Torch (9800) ---> Bold (9930) --->BOLD (9900)

Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence

Follow Me ---> Jhamal242
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    G..............

I have the Otterbox case and it is in the drawer. I bought it when I bought the phone. The reasons I quit using it:

- It is too bulky. It makes the phone much heavier and thicker.
    - With the OB, I was carrying the phone in my front jeans pocket. I believe the added thickness of the case was causing more pressure on the phone. The slider started out pretty tight but after just a few weeks became loose and the lower bezel also developed a "creak" when pushing on the screen. I am not positive that the OB contributed to this, but I suspect that it did. I exchanged that phone and stopped using the OB. Torch #2 goes naked in the RIM holster and is still as tight as the day I purchased it.
    - I don't like the style of the OB case; in particular the top piece with the raised ridge. It gives the phone a 70's darth vader look.

I think OB makes good products in general, but I do not feel it is a good fit for the Torch.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

I have an OB and it has definitely protected my torch from 2 massive drops. =X It's bulky. Whatever. I like that my phone doesn't break since I seem to drop it more often than not. I recommend it. Battery pulls become annoying though. It's a tough case to take on and off.
    Motorola T721 -> Nokia 6030 -> Blackberry 7100g -> Samsung Blackjack II SGH-i617 -> Samsung Eternity -> Nokia E71x ->Blackberry Bold 9000 -> Blackberry Bold 9700 -> Blackberry Torch 9800 <-> Samsung Focus SGH-i917 -> Dell Venue Pro -> Blackberry Torch 9810 -> Blackberry Bold 9900 -> Samsung Focus S SGH-i937 -> HTC Titan -> Nokia Lumia 920 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 4S (Verizon) -> iPhone 5 -> Q10 awwwwww yea.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

After a couple of casemate case returns, ATT store gave me a OB for free. Love it. It is a bit bulky, but does the job and fits way better than the crappy casemate, where the front kept popping off.
    Neicy
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by gbsn View Post
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5...0102900036.jpg

Push that in the opposite direction of the arrow with light force, this will bend the plastic a bit outwards or make it softer, so it doesnt press too hard on the upper part of the device. The second otterbox i bought, had this problem, it would lock even without pressing the lock key.
    Great piece of advice!

I just got an OtterBox and have been struggling with it. I can get it on nice & all the keys work but the lock IS too easy & within a couple of hours my BB will sieze to the point where removing the case is no longer enough, the alt-Rshift-delete won't work and a battery pull is necessary! Then a call comes in & you can't answer... etc.

I used a tool & put nice even pressure on the 2 inner reinforcements of that upper tab & the case is working beautifully now! It even fits in my 'Roots' holster from my Bold. (I had a 1st generation clear case that fit better but the top (screen) bezel was one of the worst made.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast