Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DannyAves
  • 1 Post By BBerryPowerUser
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Power adapter for Europe

Hello All,
    I've checked the forums and help sections of Crackberry without results. I'm travelling from the US to Europe in a few days, and am wondering about what power adapter I will need to charge my Bold 9930 (Verizon) and 32gb Playbook. I will be in Italy for a conference, and will need to have access to cell and internet. It's been 6 years since I've been there, and that predates my (new and improved) Blackberry life. Any ideas?
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by currentuser View Post
    Hello All,
    I've checked the forums and help sections of Crackberry without results. I'm travelling from the US to Europe in a few days, and am wondering about what power adapter I will need to charge my Bold 9930 (Verizon) and 32gb Playbook. I will be in Italy for a conference, and will need to have access to cell and internet. It's been 6 years since I've been there, and that predates my (new and improved) Blackberry life. Any ideas?

Italy is three rounded prongs. Most other places in europe is two rounded prongs. Im using adapters to charge as we speak in europe.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    Italy is three rounded prongs. Most other places in europe is two rounded prongs. Im using adapters to charge as we speak in europe.
    That sounds like an UK adaptor. If he has one of the older BB chargers they came with all the adaptors in the box. USB to micro usb cables are universal.
    Thanked by:
    currentuser (11-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes View Post
    Europe is always two rounded prongs. UK has 3 but you can use the standard European plug in the UK.
    Thanked by:
    currentuser (11-29-2012) 
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sydsam View Post
    Europe is always two rounded prongs. UK has 3 but you can use the standard European plug in the UK.
    The UK prongs are not rounded like the EU ones. They have sharp angles and are bigger, squared. I used it in malaysia on my last trip
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    Thanked by:
    currentuser (11-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    729 Global Posts

Hello All,
    Both the Bold and Playbook chargers will accept European 220 volt input. All you need is an adapter to change the shape of the plug so it fits the socket. You can get one on Amazon for about $6.

Amazon.com: Insten Universal World Wide Travel Charger Adapter Plug, White - by eForCity: Electronics
    Thanked by 2:
    currentuser (11-29-2012),  pkcable (11-29-2012) 
    pkcable likes this.

Global Posts
    30,879 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!

Your hotel might have adaptors you could buy or borrow. Also you can use a USB cord and charge via a computer. They must sell adaptors though, as I'm sure this has come up in the past.
    Thanked by:
    currentuser (11-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,638 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

I have several adapters that came with my Storm2 which was branded as a world phone. I don't even have a passport so I don't need them. If you want, I can try to look for them when I get home.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    Thanked by 2:
    currentuser (11-29-2012),  pkcable (11-29-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Thank you for the help, DannyAves and everyone. I'm a bit of a techie, but not an electrician (missed that part of high school physics decades ago). So I appreciate the information. I am hoping to go without my laptop, relying solely on my phone and Playbook, and didn't want to turn either into expensive coasters.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSunshine View Post
    I have several adapters that came with my Storm2 which was branded as a world phone. I don't even have a passport so I don't need them. If you want, I can try to look for them when I get home.
    Thanks for the offer, but I leave on Monday morning from the US and there's no need for you to go to the trouble. I will make a run to a local shop and get an adapter. God bless!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes. But you can still use a European plug in UK.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,638 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES

Thanks for the offer, but I leave on Monday morning from the US and there's no need for you to go to the trouble. I will make a run to a local shop and get an adapter. God bless!
    You're welcome
    If anyone else needs them, let me know. I'll try to remember to look for them if necessary.
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
    CrackBerry User

Both the Bold and Playbook chargers will accept European 220 volt input. All you need is an adapter to change the shape of the plug so it fits the socket.
    If I may resurrect this thread, we will be traveling in France in April, and for the first time we plan to take both BB phones and at least one of our two PBs. So, am I understanding correctly that we can just take the chargers that came with the phones and PBs and, using a plug converter, use the chargers with 220v? IOW, the chargers can handle both 120v and 220v? How about the rapid charging stand for the PB? Thanks, everyone.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    594 Global Posts

I travel extensively. I use this little gem. The Digipower world traveler. It's very inexpensive and it works. You can order it from Amazon or similar.

Power adapter for Europe-digipower.jpg

You can use it in the US, in France, Germany, Spain, Great Britain, and the list goes on. It has very unique adaptability for just about every plug configuration, and has a USB output from either 220 or 100 volts in, so you are set. It does NOT convert power to the plug, it just configures the plug for you. It DOES convert any power source to USB output. That's all you'll need since you can charge from USB out.
    David in Durham likes this.