Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    PIN
    see avatar
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default My Otterbox Defender case just broke....now what?

So I've had an Otterbox Defender case for almost a month now (purchased on Amazon.com). I've noticed for the last few days that the phone hasn't seemed as "snug" as it should be in the holster.

In anycase, tonight, I took the phone out of the holster and one of the clips that keeps the phone in the holster snapped off.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Defender and the holster? Is there a better case I should get?

Overall, I really liked the case. The numerous layers really protected my phone, which I need in the environment that I work in. I loved the fact that my phone locked and unlocked when put/taken out of the holster. The only problem I had (before tonight) was the dust specs that would get under the screen and keyboard cover.

I'd love to get some feedback as to whether I should contact Amazon to get a refund/exchange or simply send the defective piece back and get something else.
    CrackBerry Addict

so is it the case or the holster that broke??? u can try to contact otterbox the cs is really good
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    PIN
    see avatar
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

it was the holster....case is fine. sorry for not communicating that
    CrackBerry Addict

it's koo.. u can try contacting amazon, but i'm not sure what they can do since u had the it for one month...if it was the case otterbox would hook u up....
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    PIN
    66613wow

OtterBox will replace your case for you if you send an email to costumer service it comes with a one year warranty no questions asked they want to make you happy with your purchase. I've replaced an S1 @ S2 case no problems.
    CrackBerry Addict

hey morry u should email otterbox and tell them what happen, i just talk to a co-worker who purchased one off amazon and had the same issue.. he emailed otterbox and they're sending out another one
    Last edited by sfjon918; 03-12-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

what if u buy the case off ebay will otterbox still honour the warranty of something happens?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    PIN
    66613wow

Yes they will I bought 3 off Ebay and 2 Direct they replaced one of each.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

how would u go about the proof of purchase if u get one from ebay?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    PIN
    66613wow

Just let them know that you bought an OtterBox a few months or whenever and you let them know what is wrong with it and would like to send back the broken one for a replacement , Odds are they will tell you to keep it and send out a replacement. that's all they did to me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Otterbox has great customer service.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

even if i live in canada would it go smoothly?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    PIN
    66613wow

Not sure about Canada just email and find out wish you luck
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts
    PIN
    it's in the haystack

I also returned my Commuter case free of charge. I told them the charging port wasn't big enough and they sent me a free replacement. Best c/s ever!!!
    CrackBerry User

I have a defender case and had to have it replaced. I live in Canada and purchased on eBay. The seller would not replace, but he put me in touch with Otterbox C/S and it went smoothly and FAST! Had a new case shipped to me in less than a week.

The only issue I've had with my (new) case is that one time, i hit a door jamb with the edge of my phone and it fell face-first from waist height onto a tile floor. I know without the Otterbox, I'd be dealing with a lot worse, but the phone was slightly damaged and now is loose along one side. Not noticeable when it's in the case. The other thing is that I rarely even use the holster. I usually just slip the phone into my coat pocket, etc.

Anyways, never had any snuggness issues with the phone / holster, except having it pop out when I rammed into that door... grrr.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Send otterbox a message. I've heard of them replacing their broken cases.
    CrackBerry User

I have been through two. Don't waste your time. See my other post on the subject. Their support is very good but they missed the boat on this product version. Get them to give you a new case and sell it on Ebay to recover some cash. Thats my opinion anyway.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f77/ott...edback-398172/

Quote Originally Posted by morry.korinow View Post
    So I've had an Otterbox Defender case for almost a month now (purchased on Amazon.com). I've noticed for the last few days that the phone hasn't seemed as "snug" as it should be in the holster.

In anycase, tonight, I took the phone out of the holster and one of the clips that keeps the phone in the holster snapped off.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Defender and the holster? Is there a better case I should get?

Overall, I really liked the case. The numerous layers really protected my phone, which I need in the environment that I work in. I loved the fact that my phone locked and unlocked when put/taken out of the holster. The only problem I had (before tonight) was the dust specs that would get under the screen and keyboard cover.

I'd love to get some feedback as to whether I should contact Amazon to get a refund/exchange or simply send the defective piece back and get something else.
    CrackBerry User

I just received my third holster from Otterbox inthe last 2 months. Their customer service is good. They'll send you out a holster, no questions asked. In my opinion, they did drop the ball on the design for the 9700. I had 0 issues with the Defender for the 8330, but this one is a whole other story...
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

I totally agree. I had one for my curve and had zero problems. With the new design my 9700 get knocked out all the time. I am looking for another case/holster as we speak.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,064 Global Posts

Otterbox replaced a case for me in a matter of two weeks time. They are great in customer service. And I'm located in Canada
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    PIN
    see avatar
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by qwaz View Post
    I totally agree. I had one for my curve and had zero problems. With the new design my 9700 get knocked out all the time. I am looking for another case/holster as we speak.
    After receiving feedback from when I started this thread, I called both Amazon.com (where I purchased the defender) and Otterbox. Amazon sent me a new case & holster overnight. Otterbox sent me a new holster.

In the last two weeks, my phone has popped out of the holster on numerous occasions, and the holster has broken again. While I do have the holster Otterbox sent me, I have no interest in using it as I do not want to cause any more damage to my phone.

It seems that most everyone agrees that otterbox has dropped the ball on the design for the 9700 defender case. Pretty soon, they'll be enough people complaining that they'll have to take it off the market or risk being held responsible to damaging people's phones.

I too am in the market for a new case. Any feedback would be great. And I refuse to use Otterbox. Thanks!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,133 Global Posts
    PIN
    NED YA AGAIN !

Quote Originally Posted by morry.korinow View Post
    I too am in the market for a new case. Any feedback would be great. And I refuse to use Otterbox. Thanks!
    go with an epik case and holster
    Go Suns !
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    PIN
    31AEC77C

Quote Originally Posted by ChefMorry View Post
    After receiving feedback from when I started this thread, I called both Amazon.com (where I purchased the defender) and Otterbox. Amazon sent me a new case & holster overnight. Otterbox sent me a new holster.

In the last two weeks, my phone has popped out of the holster on numerous occasions, and the holster has broken again. While I do have the holster Otterbox sent me, I have no interest in using it as I do not want to cause any more damage to my phone.

It seems that most everyone agrees that otterbox has dropped the ball on the design for the 9700 defender case. Pretty soon, they'll be enough people complaining that they'll have to take it off the market or risk being held responsible to damaging people's phones.

Sounds like me man. I had them send me a replacement but dont even wanna really use it anymore. I am putting good use to the keyboard cover. So far I have my phone protected by a high quality screen protector the keyboard cover and a cheap silicon cover that I bought at the sprint store for $10. I actually feel that my phone is protected and I feel that as long as I dont drop it its still protected from the elements like water and dust mostly. I am considering getting the commutter and still using the keyboard cover. I saw a kid on youttube that said he loved that combo.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

i've been hearing both positive and negative reviews on this case im able to get it for either $35 on ebay or $40 at a local store near me but im still not sure if i should or not. i dont know what else i would use though since seidio is way out of my price range. right now im using a rubberized case with the original holster. any ideas if i should take the plunge?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by surfguy17 View Post
    what if u buy the case off ebay will otterbox still honour the warranty of something happens?
    I bought my Pearl case a few years ago off an eBay store, I contacted Otterbox for a new rubber casing a few months later, they didn't ask me for a proof of purchase, they simply sent me a replacement. They have great customer service, simply explain what happened and hope for the best. If they were for some reason to say no, NewEgg has the cases on sale for 29.99