Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    PIN
    not anymore!!!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default found an old motorola car charger...will it fry my battery?

So I found an old motorola car charger. It fits in my blackberry, and the charging icon comes on when plugged in. Is it ok to use? Or will it ruin my battery?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,609 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH A LOAF

Candy, that's tough to answer without having the specs of the charger. I used a verizon car charger from a Razr on my Verizon curve 8330 and after a couple weeks, one day I plugged in my curve and the screen did a dissolve to white, I about had a stroke watching that.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    PIN
    not anymore!!!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Oh no. Mines an old razr charger too

CrackBerry User

don't doo it, i used a sidekick car charger for my bold and it totally killed my bold to its mainframe
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,024 Global Posts

If the voltage and amperage are the same as a BB charger then you should be OK. It doesn't sound like you have an engineering background, so I would suggest that you don't use it.
    BlackBerry Z10 (10.2.1.2141), BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Wi-Fi (2.1.0.1753), Microsoft Surface 2 (Windows 8.1 RT)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    705 Global Posts
    PIN
    not anymore!!!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Ha what gave that away.

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,804 Global Posts
    PIN
    iMessenger

I would not use it either, a Berry pulls more amps than a moto, therfore the chargers are not set up for it. Why chance it?
    iPhone 4S Jailbroken
    iPad 3rd Generation Jailbroken
    Apple TV
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

USB is a standard, and all USB chargers should work. But- the RAZR chargers are different because the RAZR phone is set up to only accept RAZR chargers. You can't use another charger with a RAZR, but you should be able to use a RAZR charger on other phones. I used my old RAZR phone charger on my previous BB Curve with no problems. YMMV.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sksautomatic View Post
    don't doo it, i used a sidekick car charger for my bold and it totally killed my bold to its mainframe

really? thats what i use for mine. mayeb its not a "sidekick" one but it used to work on mine when i had it. its just a stadard tmobile usb car charger that i have been using for years on multiple phones. (wing, sidekick, and now my bold). ive been using it on my bold since i got it and never had a problem whatsoever.
    CrackBerry User

I wouldn't do it. I had one of those motorola chargers and figured it would be ok, but I felt the back of the phone and screen getting extremely hot. After some reading and learned you can fry the phone doing that.

Oh forgot to mention mine was also from a razr
    Last edited by oz1421; 04-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    and needles

Candy, I picked up a BB car charger for my 9700 from BIG LOTS not sure if these stores are in you area for $6.00 it's not OEM but it's worked fine for me since I purchased it in January.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    22F04940

Most cheap car chargers will ruin your device.. I used to buy my car chargers off of Ebay and ruined a lot of phones.. Best solution, spend an extra 10 bucks on a car charger for your BB and ur in the clear..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just Ask

Wow now that I know this I think I won't be using my sister's old razr charger anymore. I will say though I think this isnt a definitive proven fact that not using a BB charger will ruin a BB.
    OS 5.0.0.822
    Penn State University 2009
    Kick The Tires & Light The Fire!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I used a Razr charger to charge my blackberry bold, bricked two bolds. Luckily I was still under warranty and was able to get them replaced. Both times I had left it charging overnight.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I once used a usb car charger on my bold which was meant for my bluetooth headset. Even though it was charging my bold, it was also ruining the phone at the same time. After a week usage, it somehow instantly managed to fry the mainboard. Thankfully, i managed to get a replacement through warranty.
    Also, strangely the old battery was still working alright on the replacement phone.
    "Wealth is like water; you can channel it or you can drink it, but you cant keep it in forever"
    "In a world of conservatism, I conserve my freedom"
    "In Gaia, we believe"

CLEAN WATER SOLUTIONS

T.Z.M
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

It's weird that you guys have been having problems...I use my old razr charger with my bold9000 and have had no problems at all! - it charges at the same rate as well, and the battery holds the charge for the same amount of time...

I think if you are planning on using an aftermarket charger, THEN it's something to be concerned about...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,278 Global Posts

Ohhh. I am using my charger for my Motorola BT ear piece right now. It says on the plug the output is 5.0v 550mA.

What should it be??

Edit: I am using a Seidio 1650 and it says it's rated for 3.7v.

I'm pretty sure AT&T just grabbed a car charger off the shelf, when I bought mine. I have a hard time believing they aren't generally universal, but I don't know anything about this stuff.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 04-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Lumia 1020 - WP 8
    32GB Playbook - OS 2.1
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    692 Global Posts

I used the charger from my GPS and I got a prompt informing me that " this device will not charge your phone", asked and answered.I did appreciate the BOLD'S heads up so unplugged before any issues.
    [COLOR="RoyalBlue "excellence does not require perfection "l.[/COLOR]
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    PIN
    We hardly know each other!

Exclamation

In my ignorance, I tried using my BOLD charger on my Motorola SLVR and my SLVR charger on my BOLD. In my case neither phone charged. Those 2 phones use different model tips for the I-GO Charger; I THINK that there must be a difference in the plug wiring. Thankfully, the manufacturers are STARTING to standardize. AT&T's new ZERO Charger promises to be an even bigger improvement - no power drawn when not needed.
    O_C_Michael
    Publishing Support Assistant II

AT&T Advertising Solutions

“Reputation is what other people know about you.

Honor is what you know about yourself.”

Lois Mc Master Bujold,

A Civil Campaign
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by O_C_Michael View Post
    AT&T's new ZERO Charger promises to be an even bigger improvement - no power drawn when not needed.
    this is VERY good to have!

Global Posts
    31,008 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

Well, I've used USB charging at 100mah, a Sprint®
    car charger rated at 250mah, a Bluetooth® charger at 450 and 550mah, the stock chargers, and a speed charger rated at 1200 mah. It took me 14 months of heavy usage with all to kill my Curve battery. I've charged from Motos, LG, Sanyo, and several off-brand, and there's been no real difference between the bunch, except in length of time to charge. Typically, a BlackBerry is an equal opprtunity charger, it just wants to be fed.

Last edited by BergerKing; 04-05-2010 at 03:37 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,260 Global Posts

I have neveer had a problem on mine.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,933 Global Posts

This was discussed on a number of threads here over a year ago (here's one: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/cha...estion-132287/).

You can use your RAZR charger on your Bold. The key is that it is a 5 volt charger.

There were a succession of RAZRs in my household, so I have a ton of old chargers for home and car. I have used them all without problem since I got my Bold over 15 months ago.
    BB 950, BB 6280, BB 7290, BB 8800, BB 9000, BB 9800, BB 9810, Galaxy Note II
    PlayBook 64GB Google Nexus 10
    Galaxy Gear

BlackBerry user since 2001 . . . until 2013
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2709xxx

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by candy84 View Post
    So I found an old motorola car charger. It fits in my blackberry, and the charging icon comes on when plugged in. Is it ok to use? Or will it ruin my battery?

Send us your name and address and we'll take up a fund to buy you the correct charger for your Blackberry. I have a 10 year old copy of Windows 98, think it will work in my new laptop? Go to eBay, you can probably get one for $5 or less.
    rretlaf
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

All in all, is it worth the few dollars gamble to possibly damage your phone? Over the lifetime of the phone you are only talking about pennies per day to have the right charger.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast