Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Morten
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question A few questions about the music gateway.

anyone in the know please answer.

1) does anyone know if it will work fine with the BB10 devices?
    2) I read that it works up to 10 meters. is that enough wide range? (sounds small range to me)
    3) i was wondering if the music app on the Playbook has to be open while it plays over the gateway? how do I manage what song/playlist it plays?
    4) and finally if my music is streaming to my speaker system via the gateway can my kids play on the Playbook and hear sounds from games over the playbooks speakers? basically if im streaming music over the gateway to my speaker system does that disable the playbooks speakers?
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ask nicely

> 1) does anyone know if it will work fine with the BB10 devices?

YES

2) I read that it works up to 10 meters. is that enough wide range? (sounds small range to me)

It uses standard BlueTooth, and range depends on many factors - including not only the Music Gateway itseslf, but also the device you use, type of room, interference from other transmitters, building material of walls,,.. many many things... so 8-10 meters sounds like a safe bet - but sometimes up to 15, perhaps even further... or sometimes down to 5 - if a concrete wall is blocking....

3) i was wondering if the music app on the Playbook has to be open while it plays over the gateway?

When connected, all audio output is routed to the Music Gateway - and sounds will be played there instead of on the device itself. Of course you will need to use whatever app you want to produce the sound, music app, streaming radio app, fart app etc...

4) and finally if my music is streaming to my speaker system via the gateway can my kids play on the Playbook and hear sounds from games over the playbooks speakers?

No, not unless the game is specifically made to do so... BUT - use Your Playbook to play music and stream video to your TV - and let the children play games on their own Playbooks...
    Thanked by:
    BoldWorld (11-15-2012) 
    BoldWorld likes this.

Global Posts
    5,285 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I just got the Music Gateway myself. Very nice little device (and it is VERY small; maybe the size of a couple of rubber erasers), and the sound works great, but I'm finding the range quite limited; I can carry my 9900 maybe 3m away, even in the same room.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Default Re: A few questions about the music gateway.

I have the original, and still use it with other non-RIM devices. Only gripe was the need to be plugged in to work.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

thanks for all the info.
    somewhere I had read that only music can be played over the gaetway
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ask nicely

about the Music Gateway needed to be "plugged in" .. of course it has to - it's a piece of electronics - and audio signal cables don't carry that amount of electricity.

BUT - a tip ..
    My audio amplifier is just next to my LG Tv, which has USB inputs for memory stics etc... I connect a USB cable from the MusicGateway into that port instead - and it's delivering enough power for it to work.. so no need to use any special USB charger or anything... at least not for my LG tv...

Some amplifiers also have USB ports on them - so no need to tap into the Tv...
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lindstrom View Post
    about the Music Gateway needed to be "plugged in" .. of course it has to - it's a piece of electronics - and audio signal cables don't carry that amount of electricity.
    Not necessarily. Check this out:

Amazon.com: Samsung HM3700 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headset: Cell Phones & Accessories

Cheapie from Samsung that doubles as a bluetooth earpiece. Sound quality piped to speakers is phenomenal (just like the OG gateway), and it retains a charge for 4 hours when I have used it. So, it is infinitely more portable can use it in cars, can get enough juice from USB while playing and eliminates some wires. Also works with any headphones with standard 3.5s (just like OG Gateway). i say cheap because they were discounted to like $8 with rebates a while back: Samsung HM3700 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headset $7.50 after $25 Rebate + Free Shipping - Amazon.com Deals, Coupons and Promos

Having said that, I still love the Gateways... just hate that I need plugs for them. Too many cables.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    ask nicely

Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    Not necessarily. Check this out:

why not just get a Duracell Instant Charger | Portable USB Charger for Cell Phones, iPhones, iPods, and More

but then again - If you are around needing batteries - on the beach or somewhere - you also need battery driven speakers - and would have your Phone/Playbook near by - so just a straight cable would do....

If home - a even better solution - Get a 16GB Playbook and connect fixed to your TV/Amp - install StreamingNow on your Playbook & PC, and stream music and video via WiFi connection.. and control it all with your Bridged phone ...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Unable to get the BMG in South Africa, I found a Chinese bluetooth gateway, an EDUP. It's smaller than the BMG, and has a built-in battery that gives 6-8 hours of playtime. It charges through mini-USB (even while playing). Brilliant device. Works with my Playbook and my 9810 perfectly.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts

I just got my BB music gateway. I am not clear on all concepts of use, so, any help would be appreciated. I figured out how to connect it to my stereo. Systems but do not understand NFC.
    I turned on Bluetooth and NFC and then paired it to my 9930. The gateway shows under Bluetooth same as my phone earpiece, but, when I tap the 9930 on the gateway to connect nothing happens. Now I connect when the message shows on the phone to accept the connection for music gateway(This theme same as when I turn on my Bluetooth heaset. What is the point of NFC. Thanks again for any assistance.
    Serenity Isn't Peace From the Storm, but, Peace Amid the Storm.

Global Posts
    5,285 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by cscott44 View Post
    I just got my BB music gateway. I am not clear on all concepts of use, so, any help would be appreciated. I figured out how to connect it to my stereo. Systems but do not understand NFC.
    I turned on Bluetooth and NFC and then paired it to my 9930. The gateway shows under Bluetooth same as my phone earpiece, but, when I tap the 9930 on the gateway to connect nothing happens. Now I connect when the message shows on the phone to accept the connection for music gateway(This theme same as when I turn on my Bluetooth heaset. What is the point of NFC. Thanks again for any assistance.
    You would only use NFC the first time you pair with that gateway. Once paired, you can activate it again from the phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    about the Music Gateway needed to be "plugged in" .. of course it has to - it's a piece of electronics - and audio signal cables don't carry that amount of electricity...
    Um, ever hooked up speakers? Copper wire drives the power to the speaker to cause the magnet to vibrate the spider to pull the cone.

Better yet, ever used headphones? Same thing. In fact it's only the recent ( and overpriced) beats like headphones tha require separate power like batteries.

I would buy three Bmg if they didn't need separate power. But why plug a gateway in to usb and an aux input when u could just as easily play music by plugging my phone straight into the aux input via the headphone jack. Saves a cord from dangling in my car, same effect, doesn't waste battery on my Phone.

I think the only use case for this is in a home stereo situation.

Posted via CB10
    Go DUCKS!!!
    OS 10.2.0.1767

Samsung P107-->SonyEricsson z520a-->Samsung a707-->Blackberry 8300-->9700-->9810--> z10
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    11,669 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unclebanglin View Post
    Um, ever hooked up speakers? Copper wire drives the power to the speaker to cause the magnet to vibrate the spider to pull the cone.

Better yet, ever used headphones? Same thing. In fact it's only the recent ( and overpriced) beats like headphones tha require separate power like batteries.

I would buy three Bmg if they didn't need separate power. But why plug a gateway in to usb and an aux input when u could just as easily play music by plugging my phone straight into the aux input via the headphone jack. Saves a cord from dangling in my car, same effect, doesn't waste battery on my Phone.

I think the only use case for this is in a home stereo situation.

Posted via CB10
    I mostly agree.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

Lol thanks

Posted via CB10
    Go DUCKS!!!
    OS 10.2.0.1767

Samsung P107-->SonyEricsson z520a-->Samsung a707-->Blackberry 8300-->9700-->9810--> z10