Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Dont charge your Storm with any other charger then that made for the BB storm.....

I see some of u are charging you storm with battery chargers other then that used for the storm even though the plug is the same. DONT DO THAT.

The voltage and the current is different per different chargers and even though it will charge the battery and fits plug , it also kills the battery lifespan and effectinves because it will overchrge battery or overheat it
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

What say you about car chargers? Aftermarket of otherwise. Like iGo for example?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts

what is the voltage output for a Storm wall charger?
     @Rockdog97 
    Banned

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Check your charger. I dont have mind with me now. But the voltage will end with a "V" and current ends in "a" I belive, but look on the back of your battery charger. All the details are there.

I always compare those numbers against any other charger Iuse or aftermarket charger
    Last edited by cpugeek4u; 12-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

A = Ampere, V= Volt.

You cannot compare that, two different things.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by funrun View Post
    A = Ampere, V= Volt.

he means compare the voltage and current of the original bb charger to the voltage and current of an aftermarket one or whatever. not that hard to comprehend.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

most mobile devices that can charge via USB port are compatible. if anything they're Voltage are off by .1 ... thats POINT 1. USB port on a computer is 5volts, and most cell phones use 3.6V power. if your theory is correct..you should never charge your phone via your computer....

devices are well equipped to take a lil more volts and not do any damage.
    Last edited by brillantesdv; 12-09-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts

On a micro usb charger you will only find 4.75-5.25, which is what the USB standard specifies can power a device.

Current listed is maximum the adapter will deliver.

When you connect a USB cable to a computer you are possibly getting the maximum voltage that USB allows and about 500-600ma of current delivery.

The BB has a built in circuit that limits the charging.

I used generic third party chargers for a year on my S1 with no issues.
    Car chargers with USB output from various manufacturers.
    Generic desktop.
    Motorola with the motorola pigtail.
    Etc...
    Last edited by tech_head; 12-09-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarification
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

Completely not true. Devices with lithium batteries almost always have a regulator to prevent the battery from over charging. If they didn't, they'd blow up if you left them on the standard charger over night.
    This is my signature, and it is stupendous.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,364 Global Posts

I happened to have my travel plug in charger handy for this info.
    Input: 100-240v~150mA 50-60Hz 10-20VA

Output: 5V ---- 700mA

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

I understand the logic behind the OP statment... I bought a droid then switched to storm. At the same time, my wife bought an LG phone... Verizon sold us the idenical car chargers for all 3 phones as well as spare 2 spare chargers.. did verizon screw up??
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BerrySter View Post
    I understand the logic behind the OP statment... I bought a droid then switched to storm. At the same time, my wife bought an LG phone... Verizon sold us the idenical car chargers for all 3 phones as well as spare 2 spare chargers.. did verizon screw up??
    nope. all are compatible.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

You can plug your phone into any micro USB and as long as there is enough current it will charge. If there is not enough current the phone will let you know. There is a voltage regulator in the phone to prevent overcharging and overheating of the battery. Please do not talk about things and issue warnings on things that you do not understand.

Not that anyone needs to pay attention to you.
    Last edited by gtstang462002; 12-09-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    They wont let me put what I want in here so "Support our troops and the h3ll with the press"
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

the only thing i've noticed with some of the aftermarket chargers is that it makes my screen spaz out while it's plugged in. i'll push on the screen and it will click multiple times.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

Quote Originally Posted by harrison17 View Post
    the only thing i've noticed with some of the aftermarket chargers is that it makes my screen spaz out while it's plugged in. i'll push on the screen and it will click multiple times.
    That is a software issue not a charger issue.
    They wont let me put what I want in here so "Support our troops and the h3ll with the press"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
    You can plug your phone into any micro USB and as long as there is enough current it will charge. If there is not enough current the phone will let you know. There is a voltage regulator in the phone to prevent overcharging and overheating of the battery. Please do not talk about things and issue warnings on things that you do not understand.

Not that anyone needs to pay attention to you.
    Wanted to say the same thing but that's to much to type on the phone.

CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

Quote Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
    Wanted to say the same thing but that's to much to type on the phone.

That is where I am typing from. Too lazy to get out of the couch and go to the PC. It has been a long couple of weeks.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE6E89

I've noticed that charging your Blackberry (or any device really) from your computer not only takes longer, but also discharges longer. Plugging them into general wall outlets usually charges faster and also allows the battery to last longer.
    CrackBerry Master

The voltage is the only thing that will cause any damage. If the voltage is over 5v, then it will toast the battery. The amperage only changes how fast it charges. You will see about 500mA using USB, and about 750 using the wall charger.
    Storm 2 9550 on Verizon -- OS 5.0.0.743
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
    That is a software issue not a charger issue.
    it only happens with certain aftermarket chargers and it doesn't do it with the oem ones
    Banned

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Quote Originally Posted by funrun View Post
    A = Ampere, V= Volt.

What I was saying is comparing those figures agaisnt another battery charge A and V figures. If they dont match it dont use it
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wheel

I have a car charger that is 5v and 1.35A output. It charges my Bold 9000 and Storm 2 9550 faster than the standard wall chargers they come with. The phones also get somewhat warmer during the process but cool back down to normal when it trickle charges. I guess this is because of the higher current output?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    30FFB6EA

Quote Originally Posted by silenttt123 View Post
    The voltage is the only thing that will cause any damage. If the voltage is over 5v, then it will toast the battery. The amperage only changes how fast it charges. You will see about 500mA using USB, and about 750 using the wall charger.
    All USB components are supposed to be 5v. If you have a charger putting out anything over that it is exceeding the maximum voltage for the micro USB end that is on the cord. 850A is the max rating as well. There is a voltage regulator in the phone to stabilize voltage before it gets to the battery. Of an overvolt condition is present it will not charge. Same as an undervoltage and underamperage condition.
    Banned

Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv View Post
    most mobile devices that can charge via USB port are compatible. if anything they're Voltage are off by .1 ... thats POINT 1. USB port on a computer is 5volts, and most cell phones use 3.6V power. if your theory is correct..you should never charge your phone via your computer....

devices are well equipped to take a lil more volts and not do any damage.
    You really shouldnt charge it through your computer. Volts dont matter too much, AMPS does.

Do u ever notice how u phone does not charge as fast when u plug into your computer vs home charger?

Charging through computer is kind of emergency last resort thing. Its not something you should do all the time.. Might if fact, I never heard BB say to charge ur phone through desktop is ok
    CrackBerry Addict

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one most adaptable to change, that survives." - Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast