Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Having trouble initiating BBM Video Chat

Hey Guys n Gals

Calling on your expertise again. Here's my situation...

I have a beautiful shiny new Z10 that is amazing and I love it and... and... sorry, I got distracted. I have a Z10, my mom has a BB Playbook. On her end she is able to open her Video Chat app and enter either my Z10 BBM Pin or my BB ID and call me via video chat (she is on Wifi, and I can be on both Wifi or LTE, I've tried both). I on the other hand, have taken her BB Pin as well as the email to which her BBID is linked and saved them into her contact profile on my Z10, but when I try to video chat with her, her Pin is greyed out with a box beside it that says "invite to BBM" and her BB ID email is simply there only to email her, it does not allow me to contact her via video chat either.

Here's a screen shot of how her contact profile is set up on my phone...
    The first Pin greyed out is her Playbook Pin, the second is her BB Torch Pin, just to clarify. And the email at the bottom is her BB ID.
    Having trouble initiating BBM Video Chat-bb-contacts-bbm-video.jpg

I have double and triple checked that she is connected to wifi and has a strong signal, and I myself have double checked that I am full bars on LTE and yet no connection can be made from my end. She has to be the one to call me. I am also experiencing this same issue with my girlfriends playbook. However if either of them call me, it works flawlessly and the video / audio quality has been amazing and problem free!

Any thoughts out there?

Cheers
    CrackBerry User

Mate i have the same problem. But in my contacts, there are no bbm invite options at all
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Its frustrating, and weird too because I entered a playbook Pin so I couldn't even "invite to BBM" if I wanted to!
    And you can see the "BBM Video" phrase written underneath that pin because I have recieved video calls from that playbook so obviously the phone recognizes that video chat is possible with that device... strange..
    CrackBerry User

Ok so basically i asked my friend to call me from his PlayBook to my PlayBook and my PlayBook was restarting. So my Z10 accepted the video call. And everything worked so great. When I hung up, the notification in the hub notified me that the conversation lasted so and so. If you go there to notifications, and from there open the call up, you can call back the PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Yes I did notice if went through the hub and called back it worked, but that is a poor work around especially since that notification is so deep In my hub now it would be silly to go dig for it just to video chat

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

What you need to do is create a new contact(call it Mother2 or something) and only enter the email address that is associated with you mothers bbid. You will then see a video chat option with the new contact.

Posted via CB10
    bbecause it's bbetter
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks jagrlover, that did work.. Seems a silly work around but I very much appreciate your help
    CrackBerry User

I tried the fix posted by jagrlover but it didn't work for me. any other suggestions?
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by pc2717 View Post
    I tried the fix posted by jagrlover but it didn't work for me. any other suggestions?
    that's exactly what i've been having as well. i have few friends using Z10, most of them are good on BBM video but there's one of my friend who has been finding difficulties using the BBM video. on my end, i don't see her online and neither does she, seems like her Z10 is not a BBM video enabled BB (just like a non BBM 7 device). i have tried the fix posted by jagrlover but it didn't work. I could see the "invite to BBM" on her "contact" entry, i tapped on it but she didn't receive anything on her Z10!!! same thing, she tried the fix by entering a new "'contact" of myself, but on her Z10's contact entry, she didn't see the "invite to BBM" icon next to my email address.

can someone advise me what to do with this? my friend really loves her Z10 and i just can't help letting her down just because of this kind of silly issue as she's been longing to try the BBM video as she hasn't ever tried one! BBRY, FIX THIS UP PLEASE!

also (sorry if this is OOT).. perhaps if you guys could post this to someone at BBRY, once they are ready with the new BBM version for BB10, can they also include the option to TURN OFF the recent contact update? yeah it's good to have that running on the Z10 BUT.. getting recent updates pushed will CONSUME MORE DATA + DRAINS BATTERY! on legacy BBMs we can switch this off if we prefer not to have one (i am one of them) but here on BB10 there is no option for that, WHY??? WHY?? WHY???
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by yvpan1 View Post
    also (sorry if this is OOT).. perhaps if you guys could post this to someone at BBRY, once they are ready with the new BBM version for BB10, can they also include the option to TURN OFF the recent contact update? yeah it's good to have that running on the Z10 BUT.. getting recent updates pushed will CONSUME MORE DATA + DRAINS BATTERY! on legacy BBMs we can switch this off if we prefer not to have one (i am one of them) but here on BB10 there is no option for that, WHY??? WHY?? WHY???
    First of all relax lol...secondly you can block updates from your contacts if you need to. Of course its better to have the option to turn off updates from your contacts but for time being we can block them.

You can block them via this method:
    Hide updates for a particular contact or group

Tap on the icon on the left bottom that looks like three lines. That opens the left side so you will see chats, contacts, groups and updates.

Next tap on the updates icon and that will show you all of the updates.
    Touch and hold a name.
    Now tap on the small block icon.
    You will no longer see the updates for that contact.
    To see the updates again for that contact or group, in your BBM settings, remove the name from your blocked contacts.
    Thanked by:
    yvpan1 (04-16-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

This is crazy I know, buy I just added a contacts Facebook email address (I guess we all get one from Facebook. Look under "About" on their page) to their contact card, and bang, the PlayBook Video Chat option appeared. This is obviously not my contacts bbid email, but it worked. Crazy I know.

Posted via CB10