Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BBM Video do not work mostly

I hate it when this happens. Mostly of the time it doesn't work at all. I have it worked for just a minute and now I can't seem to find the little green icon at the top anymore. Do I have to be on Wifi all the time or what?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

I don't know about video on the Z10, but the voice chat on BB7 only works with wifi - and BOTH parties need to be on wifi - so I imagine that video is the same way.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Actually it was working for me earlier. I was on Wifi and my partner was using his data network normally. It was kind of slow so he switched to Wifi and the video was working real fast and responding great. But now I cannot see the green icon in BBM window anymore. How's this possible.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hello,

I remember reading in another thread that it depended on what the carrier allows and what not. I tested it yesterday and we were able to connect through BBM video and BBM voice in the following configurations:

Wifi to cell only
    Cell to cell
    Cell to Wifi only
    Wifi to Wifi

All of these worked, and we also tested screen sharing which is a godsend. That worked as well

Cheers

CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Ask and You Will Receive

I have use this multiple times with no issues mostly using both Cell to Cell signal but have used on wifi to wifi.

I have also many times Video Chatted from my Z10 to a Playbook without any issues Playbook was on wifi
    CrackBerry Abuser

In the BBM main window, pull down and select Settings. You'll see an option for Allow BBM Calls over Mobile Networks. If this is set to yes, then you will be able to both voice chat and video chat with another BBM on a capable device on either wifi and or wireless depending on the other devices' settings/capabilities.
    In my case, both my son and I can chat anytime as we have mobile networks set to yes, but my work curve will only go green while in a connected wifi network.
    So no, with the Z10 you don't need wifi, but be mindful of your data caps.
    This message was most likely posted from my PlayBook LTE, or my White Zed 10, or perhaps my HP laptop on my 10's wifi hotspot. Point is, BlackBerry played a part in this message!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

This is pretty strange. I had the APN settings that wouldn't work for BBM Video but whenever I changed it to something else it works fine and can even see the green icon at the top. Does this have to do with my carrier and it's APN settings or what?

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

Same issue with me on mine. Wife and I both have Z10's with the same carrier(Rogers). I never see the video icon on her chat, but she can see it on her end. So in order for us to do a video chat, it has to be initiated by her as I do not have the icon. If I search around my other contacts with a Z10, the icon is available for me to do a video chat with them. Only cannot launch video with the wife. Checked, we are both on wifi, etc. Same settings. Not too sure of the issue.
    7230>7780>8700>8100>8300>9000>8900>9700>9800>9860> 9900>Z10>Q10
    Currently a new Z30, the best phone I've ever had hands down.
    Several iPhones, Androids, and WP in between.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Nabooy View Post
    I hate it when this happens. Mostly of the time it doesn't work at all. I have it worked for just a minute and now I can't seem to find the little green icon at the top anymore. Do I have to be on Wifi all the time or what?

BBM Video is available on Wifi and 4G HSDPA+ or 4G LTE, not 3G lower than HSDPA+ (and not 2G, of course). Both you and the contact you're looking at must be connected to either Wifi or 4G for the BBM video status to light up green.
    Last edited by b320; 02-11-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: clarification

This is pretty strange. I had the APN settings that wouldn't work for BBM Video but whenever I changed it to something else it works fine and can even see the green icon at the top. Does this have to do with my carrier and it's APN settings or what?
    It is a carrier issue. Another user in the middle east has actually confirmed that their carrier will block BBM Video in the meantime until they come up with a plan to charge users monthly for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty_Power View Post
    Same issue with me on mine. Wife and I both have Z10's with the same carrier(Rogers). I never see the video icon on her chat, but she can see it on her end. So in order for us to do a video chat, it has to be initiated by her as I do not have the icon. If I search around my other contacts with a Z10, the icon is available for me to do a video chat with them. Only cannot launch video with the wife. Checked, we are both on wifi, etc. Same settings. Not too sure of the issue.
    Are you looking at her contact in the address book or BBM chat? Go to the address book, and make sure to link your wife's BBM contact with her actual contact info.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

But when I called my friend he was on 3G already while I was using Wifi. So it could be a carrier problem or they have somehow blocked it. He's on a different carrier and mine is different. That makes sense now.

And I looked at him in the BBM chat window. The contacts app has nothing to do with it in fact it doesn't matter when you look for. BBMV is supposed to be seen and accessible anywhere.
    CrackBerry Addict

But when I called my friend he was on 3G already while I was using Wifi. So it could be a carrier problem or they have somehow blocked it. He's on a different carrier and mine is different. That makes sense now.

And I looked at him in the BBM chat window. The contacts app has nothing to do with it in fact it doesn't matter when you look for. BBMV is supposed to be seen and accessible anywhere.
    BBM video is NOT supported on 3G. Only 4G and Wifi.

To clear this up: BBM video requires either Wifi or HSDPA+ or LTE.

Last edited by b320; 02-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Then could you explain to me how did it worked for him while he was on 3G?
    CrackBerry Addict

Then could you explain to me how did it worked for him while he was on 3G?
    I don't know. All I know is to tell you the requirements per BlackBerry are that both BlackBerry 10 devices be on either Wifi or 4G, whether it's LTE *or* HSDPA+. If your scenario doesn't meet these requirements, than it's fair for one to not to expect it to work or at least not work consistently.

Please see: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone - BlackBerry 10 Touch Phone - US

Some carriers market HSDPA+ as 3G but most (at least in North America) market both LTE and HSDPA+ as 4G.
    Last edited by b320; 02-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

You have a point. You couldn't go wong here. I suppose he was on HSPA+.

Well thanks for the little info!

CrackBerry User

Hi all, I don't have the video icon anywhere, but I can do voice chat with my mate, who has the TORCH running BB 7, and that works fine. My partner has also a Z10, we have just pined and added each other to BBM contacts, we are both on WI FI, but NO VIDEO. WHat is wrong? Is it because of Vodafone UK ? Or is it because he is in Switzerland and I am in UK ? PLease help
    CrackBerry Abuser

Never have problems with BBM video, tried with both sides on LTE and wifi, always fast and smooth, we're on Fido and Rogers btw.

Posted via CB10 #Z10

had the same issue. scoured help, forums etc... last resort was a battery pull. worked. take that iphone! lol
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    927 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Where do you live because this issue is mainly for the STL100-1 for the Middle East. I believe for the other models it's working fine.