Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Where do you stand?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subscribing for sure!

25 22.12%
  • No thanks!

43 38.05%
  • Depends on the price

19 16.81%
  • Still undecided

26 23.01%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will you subscribe?

When it goes live, will you subscribe?
    CrackBerry Addict

I thought it was already released and was $5 for 50 songs a month with the opportunity to share playlists with BBM friends...?

In any case, I think that's a rip-off. $60 a year to have such restrictions when things like Spotify and Pandora exist?!
    CrackBerry Addict

When my carrier tells me that I can buy a 9900 then I'll probably subscribe to rdio instead. There is nothing compelling to me about this at all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dalton4L View Post
    I thought it was already released and was $5 for 50 songs a month with the opportunity to share playlists with BBM friends...?

In any case, I think that's a rip-off. $60 a year to have such restrictions when things like Spotify and Pandora exist?!
    it's in beta still.

and no, not BBM friends. You can share with anyone who uses it. I have access to 6000 songs right now.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

sidenote: spotify isn't even available in canada
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shlammed View Post
    it's in beta still.

and no, not BBM friends. You can share with anyone who uses it. I have access to 6000 songs right now.
    Oh, I see.

Even still, sharing with strangers doesn't seem like it will be very fruitful as it would take a mixture of some 15-50 people in a stranger-friend combination to achieve a decent amount of music. Even then, it's going to be primarily music chosen by other people which seems silly to me. However, I may be proven wrong and it might catch on and be a cool music sharing vessel, but I doubt it.

That's all.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts

Yes, I will pay.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

I spent some time yesterday listening to songs in shuffle mode and it was a good I had. Especially considering that I'd have bought 10 songs the subsciption price would have paid off. However, as I don't know whether it'll be $ for I don't think it might be worth it for me. Still I'm undecided and am waiting for some official pricing from RIM for the UK.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Oh, I see.

Even still, sharing with strangers doesn't seem like it will be very fruitful as it would take a mixture of some 15-50 people in a stranger-friend combination to achieve a decent amount of music. Even then, it's going to be primarily music chosen by other people which seems silly to me. However, I may be proven wrong and it might catch on and be a cool music sharing vessel, but I doubt it.

That's all.
    that's the point though...it's a viral music discovery service.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

No

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts

Oh, I see.

That's all.
    It might be a good idea to try out the bbm music while in beta so you can make an informed opinion of bbm music.

My wife and I will definatly subscribe!
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    Sorry, I limit to friends.

I think it depends on how they run the subscription. I'd like to see two options: a) The app works as is but offers unlimited streaming, unlimited friends and unlimited song adds. They can charged up to $4.99 for this, but it would be better at a discounted yearly rate. b)The app works as is. It features limited streaming, limited friend adds and caps your song adds to 50.
    Currently, they are planning to offer a 'preview' (30 sec preview) and 'subscription' (50 song adds, 25 swaps and limited streaming) options. I don't like these plans. I don't believe the subscription plan they are offering is worth the price.
    ~Laura~
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by shlammed View Post
    that's the point though...it's a viral music discovery service.
    I understand the point and intentions of BBM Music, it just doesn't seem like a logical decision to pay for the feature when there are better ones for cheaper, or even free. $5 a month isn't a lot of money, but that still doesn't justify things in my opinion.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN

I have enjoyed using the beta service. But I don't know if I am willing to pay $5/month for it.

I still notice many pauses during streaming music, sometimes this gets very frustrating and I turn it off.

Cool to see what others like for there 50 songs.
    CrackBerry Addict

First of all, RIM has recognised the market is changing and excessively riding it's traditional fan base has contributed to its dwindling market share.
    If you think this service is a 'rip off' you belong to the old guard and are the least of RIM's problems right now. You can have your dear Blackberry as it is no worries. After all this an optional service and RIM is not going to take away anything to make way for BBM Music. Think for a minute, whatever app you swear by there will always be someone who cant 'see' the point of it.
    The heavy hype surrounding smartphones mean more and more people expect what you take to be a mere 'phone' to do lots of things. Even if 'someone else' already does it.
    If you are shedding market share at RIM's rate it obviously means the opinions of your current customers are those of a minority.
    Right now it's the execution of BBM Music that matters not the opinion of traditional Blackberry buyers. Remember RIM is fighting to grow market share again here and not just to mantain this requires copying popular services. Everyone else does it and if you pull it off great; if not try the next thing.
    Additionally the notion that you are 'buying' 50 songs for $5 is wrong on many levels and if this is the majority view RIM will need to educate a lot of people a that little bit more.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 09-29-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
    Thanked by:
    Jake2826 (09-29-2011) 
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

I understand the point and intentions of BBM Music, it just doesn't seem like a logical decision to pay for the feature when there are better ones for cheaper, or even free. $5 a month isn't a lot of money, but that still doesn't justify things in my opinion.
    How are the other services better?

Take a few pointers:

Yes, *I* can only choose 50 songs and swap 25 per month. But that doesnt change the fact that I have access to thousands of other songs from other contacts.

I have made a playlist for each genre of music I like.

I then search for songs/browse contacts song lists and I: a) cache the song and b) add that song to a playlist.

So, as you can see, I have 4 very large playlists, with all music cached and not using data when I play them, even though I was only able to select 50 as *my* songs.

It has also let me discover new songs and artists that I've never heard of before by browsing other's lists.

I love using it at the gym and during my 1hr drive to/from work.

No need to download anything. Find your song, cache it in seconds, add it to a playlist, done. Don't want it anymore? Remove it from cache/playlist..done.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts

Yes, I'm always interested in the kind of music my friends like and with the arrival of the Bold 9930 and the Playbook my BBM list is growing. All I have to do is show my phone to people and they start marching over to the store.

I've gotten 4 new BB user (2 return uses, 2 brand new) and 2 BB Upgrades and 4 Playbooks. I'm going to try to save another 5 or 10 people from battery sucking, over grown video game consoles that occasionally make phone calls and may pull e-mail every half hour (or worst yet the Steve Jobs marketing machine - Hey Steve, how about two buttons on your iPhone for a change, change something, same old boring look) Just keep pulling out my Bold 9930 with friends and then I let them touch the keyboard. Game over. I love the new BB's.

If I did not love my job so much, I'd open up a BB store. Hmmm.... maybe as a part time gig? Hmmm. Nah, its just nice to see people using their brain and making logical conclusions. 1.2Ghz, NFC, world phone, push ALL e-mail, good battery, security, beautiful, Grand Piano like keyboard. Oh yeah.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 09-29-2011 at 10:19 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

It saved my arse today. Screaming daughter in the backseat, I do a quick search for Wiggles, and bam, she starts singing along with her baby rockband, then comes the next song, which happens to be Butthole Surfers....a bit of an ecclectic mix. I am in.

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

No way, especially since http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst.../50242?lang=en it's free.
    Love the features, love the app, but IMO, it's not worth $5/mo.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Hoegarrden PLEASE!!!

I enjoy BBM music alot. i have found new friends and new music; both from all over the world. As with anything else, some people will like it and some wont. I do wish the people that do not like / know about it would either learn more (start with downloading it first) or just leave their "I'll use anything else to say I found something 'better' " talk out.

I'll be paying happily by the way. Look for me, MattDub22!
    9780/.600
    PlayBook 16GB

"Lead others, Follow only your DREAMS!"
    -M.Washington
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

What similar service is cheaper or free? From what I know all others start at $10 a month. Spotify doesn't have a blackberry app, rdio, pandora are north america only.

There is no similar service.

CrackBerry Newbie

I've had it since day one and don't see any interest in it. I've even left the beta testers group for BBM Music that is
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    No way, especially since Free Cloud Player - Download Cloud Player - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World it's free.
    Love the features, love the app, but IMO, it's not worth $5/mo.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    not even close to the same idea nor is that app even worth a download

missing so many potential features
    CrackBerry User

Default No friends

I will sign up for a couple months to try out service. But i have Zero BBM friends as they are all on iOS or Android. :-(
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by stevedion View Post
    I will sign up for a couple months to try out service. But i have Zero BBM friends as they are all on iOS or Android. :-(
    Lol, for the last time, you don't need bbm friends, bbm music friends are separate from bbm friends, you can ad anybody and anybody can invite you, pretty soon it it start growing, I have 6000+ songs available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast