- CrackBerry User
- 45 Posts
BBM Music : The good & the bad
Well since I got my first BB, I tried BBM Music as it had a free trial. Does anyone still use this? Does RIM care?
At first, it looks like a great idea. Oh except for one minor issue ... none of my friends are using a Blackberry device, so the "social" component is kind of useless for me.
So I played with it some, and the great part is I like the idea of "randomly" discovering new music, not just what is pushed on me via the usual media. I found some really nice songs, adding it to my playlist and caching offline is painless & easy. But there are some really painful issues:
- Browsing is stupid. If you just try to browse, you'd think the catalogue is pretty empty, with maybe, what 50 songs? Something useless. For example, hit "Genres", is there entries for Jazz? Instrumental? Classical? No, nothing. Even popping into one of the categories, I get a limited list of songs with no obvious way to list more. WTF?
- There's no way to easily find new songs. I discovered that , hey, yes, I can get Jazz or Classical on BBM. I can even get K-Pop, J-Pop, Cantopop, Thai-pop, there's tons of stuff. The problem is you have to know what to search for. Well that really misses the point for a service that is ostensibly about discovering new music beyond what you normally listen to.
- Okay, so assuming I am able to find something I like, oh hey, there's an option to purchse it! Cool! Wait, except I get a stupid error popping up that there is no store? Huh?
I wish RIM would do something about this. It's one of those things that sounds like a great idea, but the actual execution seems to fall a bit short cause nobody is caring about it.
- CrackBerry Genius
12-30-2012, 09:20 PM #3
- 3,552 Posts
Not sure exactly what your issue is. It is almost like you are confused with the song search and how the 50 song playlists are part or your library. Try making playlists and checking out other ppls playlists. Not real clear why you need friends there. It isn't like regular bbm. You make new friends there and discover new music. At one time there was an option to purchase thru amazon, never got enabled. And Thai pop, really. Maybe you should switch to an iphone
- CrackBerry Genius
01-10-2013, 01:07 AM #4
- 1,652 Posts
Go to your newsfeeds tab(far left one) and start clicking on people's names and adding them.
I am at around 11,000 songs by doing this and so I just shuffle all of them. I started a playlist called "new songs thanks to bbmm" and I add them to this on-the-fly as they pop up. Otherwise I just mark them as a favorite soil can easily find them later.
Shoot me a PM and I'll add you if you need a catalyst to get started with it. I use it daily.
- 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM #5
I've really enjoyed BBM Music; it's gotten to be one of my favorite sources of new music.
I WOULD like to figure out how to get 7digital working properly with it, though (it works great with Shazzam, so presumably their store can be programmed against).
- 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM #6
I love BBM music and use it as my main music player but I have two issues that I find difficult/frustrating.
1) I hit my contact limit very quickly and get annoyed when trying to remove users. Personally I go with the view recent activity as I like to remove peoples that haven't updated their music/profile recently but I it gives me the option to view the contacts ascending but not descending.
2) I'd like to have the option to merge my locally stored music with playlists. I know other streaming apps don't give this option but most people have locally stored music giving them the option to have full albums (which is possible but a rarity).
All in all I love the service and highly recommend it just for the social aspect which I find lacking in other streaming services.
- 01-20-2013, 02:23 PM #7
The bad for me. My device crashed as it was spammed with all languages of the world. So it crashed and I had to re-install on multiple occasions. Bad effect was that my BBMM subscription was cancelled without me doing anything
- By belfastdispatcher in forum Native BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 0Last Post: 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
- By belfastdispatcher in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
- By mattvait in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM
- By crashin2cjk in forum Storm OS DiscussionReplies: 10Last Post: 01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
- By gbizzle in forum Discover BBM FriendsReplies: 0Last Post: 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM