Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geoffsdad
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BBM Music : The good & the bad

Well since I got my first BB, I tried BBM Music as it had a free trial. Does anyone still use this? Does RIM care?
    At first, it looks like a great idea. Oh except for one minor issue ... none of my friends are using a Blackberry device, so the "social" component is kind of useless for me.
    So I played with it some, and the great part is I like the idea of "randomly" discovering new music, not just what is pushed on me via the usual media. I found some really nice songs, adding it to my playlist and caching offline is painless & easy. But there are some really painful issues:
    • Browsing is stupid. If you just try to browse, you'd think the catalogue is pretty empty, with maybe, what 50 songs? Something useless. For example, hit "Genres", is there entries for Jazz? Instrumental? Classical? No, nothing. Even popping into one of the categories, I get a limited list of songs with no obvious way to list more. WTF?
    • There's no way to easily find new songs. I discovered that , hey, yes, I can get Jazz or Classical on BBM. I can even get K-Pop, J-Pop, Cantopop, Thai-pop, there's tons of stuff. The problem is you have to know what to search for. Well that really misses the point for a service that is ostensibly about discovering new music beyond what you normally listen to.
    • Okay, so assuming I am able to find something I like, oh hey, there's an option to purchse it! Cool! Wait, except I get a stupid error popping up that there is no store? Huh?

I wish RIM would do something about this. It's one of those things that sounds like a great idea, but the actual execution seems to fall a bit short cause nobody is caring about it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,355 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Dido, I like it but find it hard to use, I cant figure out how to keep the music on my device
    CrackBerry Genius

Not sure exactly what your issue is. It is almost like you are confused with the song search and how the 50 song playlists are part or your library. Try making playlists and checking out other ppls playlists. Not real clear why you need friends there. It isn't like regular bbm. You make new friends there and discover new music. At one time there was an option to purchase thru amazon, never got enabled. And Thai pop, really. Maybe you should switch to an iphone
    dusdal likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Go to your newsfeeds tab(far left one) and start clicking on people's names and adding them.

I am at around 11,000 songs by doing this and so I just shuffle all of them. I started a playlist called "new songs thanks to bbmm" and I add them to this on-the-fly as they pop up. Otherwise I just mark them as a favorite soil can easily find them later.

Shoot me a PM and I'll add you if you need a catalyst to get started with it. I use it daily.

Global Posts
    6,333 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

I've really enjoyed BBM Music; it's gotten to be one of my favorite sources of new music.

I WOULD like to figure out how to get 7digital working properly with it, though (it works great with Shazzam, so presumably their store can be programmed against).
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I love BBM music and use it as my main music player but I have two issues that I find difficult/frustrating.

1) I hit my contact limit very quickly and get annoyed when trying to remove users. Personally I go with the view recent activity as I like to remove peoples that haven't updated their music/profile recently but I it gives me the option to view the contacts ascending but not descending.

2) I'd like to have the option to merge my locally stored music with playlists. I know other streaming apps don't give this option but most people have locally stored music giving them the option to have full albums (which is possible but a rarity).

All in all I love the service and highly recommend it just for the social aspect which I find lacking in other streaming services.

Andy
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    721 Global Posts

The bad for me. My device crashed as it was spammed with all languages of the world. So it crashed and I had to re-install on multiple occasions. Bad effect was that my BBMM subscription was cancelled without me doing anything
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by EFats View Post
    At first, it looks like a great idea. Oh except for one minor issue ... none of my friends are using a Blackberry device, so the "social" component is kind of useless for me.

I wish RIM would do something about this. It's one of those things that sounds like a great idea, but the actual execution seems to fall a bit short cause nobody is caring about it.
    YES!!!
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."

9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
    CrackBerry User

Add me to your BBM Music. I love everything. PIN 3336A283