BlackBerry should offer ad free BBM for BlackBerry device owners, ads only for non native BBM devices.

What do you all think?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 12:49 PM
    There wouldn't be much revenue from non BB device owners using BBM. A dollar a month to ditch the ads isn't much. I consider it the same as buying BlackBerry a couple of beers a year. (Far fewer than I end up buying for a certain brother-in-law.)
    12-11-16 02:40 PM
    No way.

Because blackberry gets much more money from the advertisers than the subscription. So stay with ads, it actually helps blackberry better than your 1USD subscription.
    12-30-16 12:38 AM
    It is why I quit using BBM on my Priv. My wife and I used it exclusively for years. We now use Line or Telegram. It would be okay if the ad didn't show up as a message, but when it shows up, I check BBM because I think my wife has messaged me. Since I am usually checking it from a ship at sea, it's a little annoying. If I could pay a one time fee, fine, I might, but not a subscription. BBM isn't secure unless you have BES, so unless they offer a secure messaging platform for the subscription, it's not worth it, considering the ads.
    02-28-17 08:32 AM
    It is why I quit using BBM on my Priv. My wife and I used it exclusively for years. We now use Line or Telegram. It would be okay if the ad didn't show up as a message, but when it shows up, I check BBM because I think my wife has messaged me. Since I am usually checking it from a ship at sea, it's a little annoying. If I could pay a one time fee, fine, I might, but not a subscription. BBM isn't secure unless you have BES, so unless they offer a secure messaging platform for the subscription, it's not worth it, considering the ads.
    Bbm protected is what you're looking for. BeS is BB OS era. 2017 equivalent is BBM protected and without ads.
    02-28-17 07:38 PM
    Bbm protected is what you're looking for. BeS is BB OS era. 2017 equivalent is BBM protected and without ads.
    Yes of course, I am aware of that. Old habits are hard to break. once again though, it is not worth it. I do not care for subscription based apps or software. If I could pay a one time fee for BBM, with no ads and secure messaging, then fine, and of course I can understand paying again if there is a major update, but not monthly. There a too many other messaging apps out there that do it for less, or free, and their ads aren't intrusive as the ones in BBM are.

I was a die hard BBM user for years, up until about a month ago. It is a crying shame what has been done to the service. Ads? Okay. Ads that show up as a message and trigger a notification? No, bye. BBM used to be the greatest, now they are trying to charge a premium for what others give away for free. I would have gladly paid a flat $12, or even $20, but not a monthly fee for life. BBM isn't worth that. Actually what they have done, is basically extortion. They made is so bad that you have to pay to get your sanity back.

I would have though BBM would have been included in the price we paid for the Priv, or the Derek 60 or 50.

The people developing and marketing BBM dropped the ball. They took a messaging app that had waning support, made it annoying with message based sponsored ads, then created a monthly subscription to get rid of the ads so you could pay for a messaging app that has alienated even more people which resulted in even fewer people using it, even people like me who were diehard supporters.
    Uzi likes this.
    02-28-17 08:34 PM
    Yes of course, I am aware of that. Old habits are hard to break. once again though, it is not worth it. I do not care for subscription based apps or software. If I could pay a one time fee for BBM, with no ads and secure messaging, then fine, and of course I can understand paying again if there is a major update, but not monthly. There a too many other messaging apps out there that do it for less, or free, and their ads aren't intrusive as the ones in BBM are.

I was a die hard BBM user for years, up until about a month ago. It is a crying shame what has been done to the service. Ads? Okay. Ads that show up as a message and trigger a notification? No, bye. BBM used to be the greatest, now they are trying to charge a premium for what others give away for free. I would have gladly paid a flat $12, or even $20, but not a monthly fee for life. BBM isn't worth that. Actually what they have done, is basically extortion. They made is so bad that you have to pay to get your sanity back.

I would have though BBM would have been included in the price we paid for the Priv, or the Derek 60 or 50.

The people developing and marketing BBM dropped the ball. They took a messaging app that had waning support, made it annoying with message based sponsored ads, then created a monthly subscription to get rid of the ads so you could pay for a messaging app that has alienated even more people which resulted in even fewer people using it, even people like me who were diehard supporters.
    Yes sir. For which I've gone and got myself a dedicated Z30 solely for BBM. Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.2049.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-17 12:10 AM
    Yes sir. For which I've gone and got myself a dedicated Z30 solely for BBM. Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.2049.

Posted via CB10
    That seems like a bit of a hassle when there are other very good messaging apps out there for Android, that do not have intrusive ads, and are secure. To carry a separate phone just for a a messaging app that the developers have developed into something poor seems a waste to me. As long as it works for you, that's great. For me, I am very sad to see BBM developed into something so bad, but I simply moved on. Once again, I used it since around 2006 and was an ardent supporter.
    03-06-17 11:53 AM

I still use BBM for family and some friends, but haven't suggested anyone to download it for a long time already. It's just gone downhill too much. Instead of adding needed features they have broken what they had. For example the Groups Calendar multiple entries.... too bad...

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    04-18-17 07:20 PM
    That seems like a bit of a hassle when there are other very good messaging apps out there for Android, that do not have intrusive ads, and are secure. To carry a separate phone just for a a messaging app that the developers have developed into something poor seems a waste to me. As long as it works for you, that's great. For me, I am very sad to see BBM developed into something so bad, but I simply moved on. Once again, I used it since around 2006 and was an ardent supporter.
    Old habits die hard? Besides my z30 and iPhone serve as duals , so not an issue for me.
    04-19-17 10:00 AM
    Old habits die hard? Besides my z30 and iPhone serve as duals , so not an issue for me.
    I don't really understand what you're getting at, but good for you. For me, BBM has been turned into something that is not as usable for me. Telegram works about the way BBM used to, so I use it more now. It works better for me in areas with slow service, while traveling out of the country in remote areas. BBM, has become bloated and the ads have killed it for me, and it isn't worth a subscription, a one time fee, perhaps. If it works for your use, great.
    04-21-17 12:05 PM
    I use BlackBerry Messenger Protected ... think it was $30 annually. Not bad in my book. Course I don't get ads, because I'm on BB10. Thinking about moving to the Priv though. Hoping my BBM Protected with eliminate ads on that phone also.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-17 09:48 AM