Main Source: How to use Accented Characters in BlackBerry 10 Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

The BlackBerry Z10 smartphones touchscreen keyboard is designed to help you be as efficient as possible when typing, so today Id like to provide a brief overview of how to use accented characters. Ill also be providing an overview of how to enable accented and special character support when composing Text Messages (SMS), so grab your BlackBerry Z10 and lets begin.

Entering Accented Characters
    On the keyboard, touch and hold the letter that you want to add the accent to
    When the accented characters appear above the letter, slide your finger onto the accented character that you want to enter
    Lift your finger and the accented character will be inserted.

To type an uppercase accented character, tap on the uppercase key first; or, when your finger is on the accented character that you want to type, if you pause briefly before you lift your finger the accented character will change to uppercase.

Enabled Accented Character Text Message (SMS) Support
    By default, some accented characters might not appear after you send text messages (SMS). You can make special characters always available for text messaging by following the steps below:

Swipe and access the BlackBerry Hub
    Tap the Action button
    Tap Settings followed by Text Messages
    Tap on the Advanced button
    Set the Allow Special Characters switch to On.
    05-09-13 08:46 PM
    ...brilliant write up, this is becoming a common question.
    05-09-13 08:58 PM
    How do I show the accented keys on the keyboard? And kit just bring able to see them when we do a long press?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 08:30 AM
    If you long press on a particular letter, don't you see said characters?

How do I show the accented keys on the keyboard? And kit just bring able to see them when we do a long press?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-13 09:05 AM
    Oh let me clarify my statement, can't the accented chars be shown permanently as small chars on the keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 01:35 AM
    Oh let me clarify my statement, can't the accented chars be shown permanently as small chars on the keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry, no.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 05:29 PM
    How do you do it if you habe an external Bluetooth keyboard?
    06-25-14 08:23 AM
    Cool tip. Thanks
    11-11-14 07:29 AM
    What if I can't find the characters I need?

How can I add additional characters?
    The Greek alphabet, for example
    08-05-15 06:56 AM
    I am using the text replacement feature (don't know what it's called in english) to replace and even ^^.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 10:16 AM
    Thank you this was very helpful.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 02:49 PM
    This will be useful if I want to use words like maana but I have been frustrated for ages to be able to have the degree symbol so I don't have to type the word every time I want to tell the temperatures for a forecast, etc. It isn't in the two screens I get with the symbol key. Is there a way to add it?

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    10-29-16 09:02 AM
    This will be useful if I want to use words like maana but I have been frustrated for ages to be able to have the degree symbol so I don't have to type the word every time I want to tell the temperatures for a forecast, etc. It isn't in the two screens I get with the symbol key. Is there a way to add it?

Highlight that character, and copy it.
    Go to Settings -> Language and Input -> Prediction and Correction -> Word Substitution -> then click 'Add Shortcut'. The 'original word' can be something like 'deg' or 'de' or whatever is easiest for you to remember. Then paste the symbol into the 'new word or phrase' box.

Save the changes.

Now every time you type deg, it will swap in the degrees symbol as you push the space bar.

Posted via CB10
    petekohn123 likes this.
    11-07-16 07:42 AM
    OK, I think I get the basic idea but where do I get the character to highlight? I tried to use the one that you put in your answer but can't highlight just that one tiny part of the page! My big fingers can't touch that small an area. Where did you get it to put in the post?? Is it someplace where I might be able to go online and zoom in enough to just get it? Thanks.

11-07-16 08:14 AM

Highlight that character, and copy it.
    Go to Settings -> Language and Input -> Prediction and Correction -> Word Substitution -> then click 'Add Shortcut'. The 'original word' can be something like 'deg' or 'de' or whatever is easiest for you to remember. Then paste the symbol into the 'new word or phrase' box.

Save the changes.

Now every time you type deg, it will swap in the degrees symbol as you push the space bar.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! I had the sudden bright idea of doing a reply with quote, and THEN I was able to copy the thing! Now if it's hot or cold I can tell you it'll be 14 F tonight or that I avoid water colder than 30 C! Thank you very much for solving an issue that has frustrated me for ages! BlackBerry users are already brighter than the herd, and Crackberry readers even more so! Yay!

11-07-16 08:27 AM
    Undefinederror, (or anyone else who knows) since you were SO helpful with my problem I thought I would ask for the other character I've been missing that my Palm Treo and Treo Pro both had. Could you please tell me where you got the symbol from? I wanted to finally have the cents icon for the times I would tell people that the excellent gasbuddy app said that one station was x cents higher or lower than others in an area. I still pay for the gas for both our kids while they are full time in college. Since I don't want to waste $$ I always make sure that they get the most affordable top tier gas in the area that day. It's a pain to write out the word multiple times in one or two texts.

If you got the characters somewhere I can't just get from a non pay website, I would be grateful if you could post the cents icon here so I can copy it the way I did after your helpful post.

Thanks in advance! ;-)

11-09-16 10:37 AM
    Google a symbol request, and then copy it.

Eg: with the degree symbol you would have googled: degree symbol.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    11-09-16 01:20 PM
    Google a symbol request, and then copy it.

Eg: with the degree symbol you would have googled: degree symbol.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    That's all I did.

Posted via CB10
    Heavens1 likes this.
    11-10-16 07:24 AM
    Thanks for the idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself, guess I wasn't thinking about it the right way! ;-)

11-12-16 09:00 AM