Blackberry 10 FAQ
Blackberry 10 FAQ
Why is this being made?
With the Q10 now being released, and the Blackberry community being active with both the Z and Q, it’s time now for a FAQ thread. All new posts should check here first. Have a question? Check this FAQ, if it doesn’t have your answer than by all means post a thread.
1.What is the main difference between the Q10 and Z10?
The most prominent difference is obviously the physical keyboard. However there is much more than just that, the Q10 uses an OLED 3.1” screen, running 720x720 at 330ppi. The Z10 uses a LCD 4.2” screen, running 1280 x768 at 356ppi. As well the Q10 also uses the 2600MHz LTE band which the Z10 does not (minus the STL100-2).
The Q10 also has a bigger battery at 2100mAH versus the Z10’s 1800mAH battery. Under the hood however all the specs are exactly the same, running a 16GB on board storage, 2GB RAM, 1.5Ghz Dual Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and a Adreno 225 GPU.
2.What are the differences in Z10 model numbers?
There are currently 4 different models of the Z10, STL100-1/STL100-2/STL100-3/STL100-4, and to be honest there isn’t much difference between them. The biggest difference is the fact the STL100-1 model is running a different processor and GPU however to note the only thing those changes is that it doesn’t support LTE signals. The 100-2/100-3/100-4 are all exactly the same minus the radio band frequencies they are activated on.
3.What are the differences in the Q10 model numbers?
4.Difference between Native app, Android Port, and Android Side load?
One of the biggest thing’s I see is that people don’t understand the meaning to each of these application types. I’m hoping to clear this up.
A Native app is obviously something built from scratch for Blackberry using Cascades or C++ coding.
A Android port is a ported Android application, ported by the developer, to take advantage of the Android runtime environment in Blackberry 10. This port has small amounts of code written in to help it integrate with the BB10 OS
Android Side loading is the method in which a user converts a everyday Android APK file into a Blackberry Bar file and uses a program such as DDPB/vnBB/Chrome extension to manually install this application to their phone.
The first of the 3 is obviously the most stable, with the 3rd of the 3 being the most unstable as it’s unlikely if it’ll run or crash.
5.Blackberry Link Desktop Software….Backup and Restore
With the days of OS5/6/7/7.1 being phased out, so is the old desktop software. To replace that we now have Blackberry Link. It may be confusing to some on how to backup and restore their device, after all this is a new look to a old idea.
To backup your device data, first boot into Link (if this is your first time it’ll request your BBID which once you log in it’ll recognize your device), than connect your Q10 or Z10. It should pop up that it’s been connected. Ready for this, it’s the simplest part to backing up your device, click the arrow beside your device name and click backup, and let it run it’s course.
To restore? You guess it’d almost all the same steps except hit restore (Note do not hit reload, as that’ll reload your device software to stock).
Now from seeing threads in the forums there seems to be issues with restoring and backing up with Link. If you run into one of these issues, cancel the process than proceed to do the following:
-Shut down Link and disconnect device from computer.
-Reboot both your Blackberry and the Link software
-Connect device to computer, and run process in Link again.
Perhaps you should add onto your existing thread Several methods Posters have done in order to get a Full backup AND restore.
I have seen some posted from UBIZMO with this --
1. Put phone in airplane mode.
2. Start full restore.
3. Let it stall at whatever (If it stalls. Mine tends
to stall at 12%).
4. Cancel the restore on the phone. Then close Link.
5. Reset the phone (still in airplane mode).
6. Start up Link again and do another restore.
At this point, the restore proceeds to 100% without a
hitch. When I do the first restore, only the device PIN
appears in the Link device tab. After I cancel it and
start Link again, the device name appears there, and it
goes smoothly. I don't know if these details are
related, but I thought I'd throw them in, to sound like
I know what I'm doing.
I also don't know how many of the steps above are
voodoo; I've just found that this is what works on my
Here's what has helped me.
1) Reboot your device
2) Disable WiFi on your device
3) Reboot your PC
4) IF on Winders 7 or XP, make sure the Windows
FIREWALL is COMPLETEY disabled, like OFF, like ALL OFF.
4a) Double check 4) above
5) Open Link
6) Connect Device
7) Wait for everything to settle down (Link will synch
folders --- assuming you have that enabled)
>>> 8) Your firewall software (even if manually
disabled) may try to background scan your device and SD
card (antivirus activity). If this happens, or is
happening, MANUALLY STOP ALL OF THIS and make sure
NOTHING is actively acessing/scanning your device.<<<
8a) Double check 8) above
Now try to back up.
Ask me how I know all this
If it fails, repeat the above steps.
******I read in one of the new leaked forums someone was talking about doing a selective restore and backing up ONE at a time say back up JUST the settings, then the Application Data, and so on and so forth. I Cannot FIND that poster because from ALL of these methods I want to try ALL of them (when I receive my new replacement Tuesday) and so I'm sure others would agree that having several methods could be very useful to have.****
Now that leaks are being relased for 10.1 and future releases, the big question is how can I get this onto my device? Now right now the leaks are only for the STL100-2/3/4. As mentioned above due to HWID (Hardware Identification) coding on the STL100-1, and the lack of availability of the device to main stream developers makes it harder to release a working version.
Following these steps will allow you to install a leak onto your device:
This detailed method is credited to rizaru_rin and his thread here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rience-803279/
1. Download the leak autoloader file from here: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-leaked-beta-os-f395/leaked-full-os-10-1-0-1627-z10-stl100-1-2-3-a-801985/#post8408880, pick the right file according to your phone model, you can check it by pressing myver, for example mine is Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.1627. Extract the file and you'll see an .exe file, don't open it just yet.
2. Backup your Z10 with BlackBerry Link software on computer. Don't forget to move all files from the device to media card. If you want to remember the order of your app drawer, you can take some screenshots of it by pressing up and down volume button at the same time. Close the Link software and unplug the device.
3. After making sure the backup is successfully made, charge the phone to some acceptable battery level, just in case.
4. Pray and make sure that nobody is disturbing you until the next hour.
5. Plug back the device to your computer withOUT Link software opened. Run the .exe file that you've downloaded. This file is a command prompt application, you'll see the connecting and loading software process on the command prompt window. The phone will turned off and notification LED will turn red then green, that's normal. Do not touch the device, wait until the command prompt says finished and your phone turn back on with a new fresh OS. Unplug the device and do the first time setup.
6. Check how's things going with the fresh installed OS, and if everything's okay, restart it and plug it back to the computer. This time open the BlackBerry Link software and restore back.
7. For myself, I remember having email account sign in problem after restore, nothing to worry about though, you just need to go to 'Settings > Accounts' and delete everything. Restart your phone and re-add all the accounts. Everything should be okay after.
8. And if you have whatsapp app restored too, delete it and reinstall from the BB World, cause I experienced that whatsapp isn't recognizing some of my contacts. It took me some time for all my contacts to appear in the contacts app.
9. Check for app updates in BBW , some apps are updated to support this 10.1 platform. Do NOT update it all at once, but one app at a time, as I experienced that the installation of updated apps stucked when you do it all at once.
9. The phone getting warm and sluggish for the first few hours is expected. It's smooth afterwards. Battery life more or less is the same with my previous 10.0.10.85 T-Mobile release.
10. Check for the new HDR camera feature, better typing experience, and WhatsApp Hub integration. Sideload some apps that you need using the vnBB 10 software, the how-to news by Adam Zeis can be found here: http://m.crackberry.com/sideload-and...-device-vnbb10
and for some .bar installer you can find it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ing-z10-766594
I noticed some performance improvements for sideloaded apps, compared with 10.0 runtime emulator.
11. Enjoy your new OS!
*NOTE* Be prepared with a backup because installing a leak will wipe all your data, however it will not affect installed data on a SD Card.
7.How to I downgrade back to Carrier based OS?
So you’ve installed the leak, found it either isn’t for you or it’s just too filled with bugs. Want to go back to your previous OS? No problem I got you covered. Follow these steps:
-Connect device to a computer with link installed
-Click on the up arrow beside your device name and click reload device software
-Allow for link to search for your carrier’s OS and it’ll install and reboot your device
If these methods don’t work for you there is one other option either using Internet Explorer or Firefox web browsers (unfortunately no Chrome support). Go to Download BlackBerry Smartphone Software & BlackBerry PlayBook Software - US and follow the online instructions to reload your devices stock OS
Now I've noticed some people having issues with both methods. If they don't work try the method below (I have not personally tested but it has worked for other forum members)
1. Run a leaked autoloader
2. During 'write' process unplug device
3. Device led should flash red 3 times to signify bricked
4. Hook back up to computer and start the link/website process
8.Issue with BBM, or other Blackberry services? No BB logo?
I’ve noticed some people mentioning that they don’t have the BB logo beside the network logo, this means that you have no data connection. This is caused by a few things, sometimes it’s a carrier network issue dropping your service, sometimes for the sake of the Blackberry Gods we just lose that service, but as easy as it is to explain its just as easy to fix. Follow these steps:
-Reboot device, see if you get your symbol back
-If after reboot no luck go to Settings – About – Network – Menu – Register Blackberry
-Give that about 5 minutes
-If it doesn’t work on wifi/mobile try it on the service that you didn’t use
-If it still has no connection check to make sure you have the proper Access Point Name that your Carrier has for your service
-If all other options about don’t work, contact your carrier, it may be a difficulty on their end.
9.Email on the BB10 OS
Just like the legacy OS, the BB10 OS has an amazing email client built right into the HUB. Now I know there are a lot of issues about notifications and time sync frame. This section looks to address those issues.
-BB10 OS Currently only supports 30 day time limit for email sync through any client, however come BB10.1 that will change to a ‘forever’ option on Active Sync based email clients. The down side to this unfortunately is that Gmail users are still left in the dark with IMAP being restricted to 30days.
-There are ways around this though, such as going to www.outlook.com and opening a new account with them. Through this you can sync you gmail emails and even have them forwarded to this new account. (Contacts are a little trickier, see the next FAQ for details on contacts)
-BB10 OS at the same time doesn’t allow you to customize the notification tone per email address on your device, and as with BB10.1 somewhat fixing the time sync issue, it’ll bring with it full notification support per email address.
-To change email address notifications in BB10.1 follow these steps:
-Go into your settings
-Select Email Messages
-From there all your email accounts on your device will be listed
-Select the email account you wish to edit
-From here you can select your notification tone AND how many vibrations each account sends.
10. Contacts and Calendar on BB10 OS
So now you've gotten your email all set up and ready, and maybe just by chance your contacts and calendar are else where and you need to add those separately. Well follow these steps and you'll be set:
- Go to Settings than Accounts
- Click add account
- Click advanced
- Now from here you can either choose CalDAV for Calendar or CardDAV for contacts
- Google your email clients specific settings and input into the correct fields
- Choose a 24 Hour sync time frame as to not waste any precious battery
Once all done, you'll have your contacts imported from your client of choice. Nice simple and quick, now to note when you set up your initial email, 99% of the servers usually have contacts and calendars pulled at the same time, but if your like myself and have contacts/calendar in separate places this is always a must.
MORE TO FOLLOW --- WORKING ON THIS AS WE SPEAK, ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS YOU'D LIKE ADDRESS IN THIS FAQ PLEASE PM ME
Thanks to everyone reading this and correcting some of my mistakes wrote this first bit on a headache, so bound to be a few more I'm sure. Drop a line if you find something out of place
Last edited by Kris Simundson; 09-16-13 at 11:05 AM.Device: LG G2 w/ Moto 360
Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 8
Thanked by 33:
+ Show/Hide list of the thanked
00stryder (04-26-13), bbquincar (04-26-13), CRACKBERRY_OZ (04-25-13), ecko no yaro (05-31-13), emstardeluxe (04-26-13), flowerslinnie (05-13-13), Hgouck (04-27-13), hibackhand (05-07-13), ima5exypaki (04-25-13), Javid Gozalov (09-11-13), John.P (09-01-13), kyleheney (04-26-13), LadyOfTheLAN (04-26-13), MaizerG (11-19-13), mirren (07-04-13), mset (05-04-13), Nanker Phelge (07-23-13), iamivanwilliams (05-08-13), Negodefe (05-29-13), OldSkoolVWLover (07-01-13), PapiPabs (04-26-13), RazzBerry (04-25-13), PiotrJot (04-29-13), R Field (05-02-13), rizdragon (05-25-13), TheEliteOne (04-26-13), Toseepics (04-29-13), trynacu2 (04-25-13), urShadow (06-07-14), VideoFrog (04-26-13), Winston Loh (05-18-13), YYZ_AKS (04-27-13), Z10POWERHOUSE (04-27-13)
BlackBerry Z10 Tips and Tricks
Now I know most of you already know how to access certain things on your BB10 devices using gestures, but there may be some who don’t, so this is for you.
-Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access Active Frames
-Swipe up and to the right to “peek” into the HUB
-Swipe up half way and hold to see notification panel
-Swipe down from the top to access settings (not all apps have a top down menu)
-Click both volume keys to take a screen shot
-Hold a volume key up or down to skip a song while playing music (when this option is enabled in settings)
-Two finger swipe up to reveal the keyboard anywhere
-Hold the space bar to minimize the keyboard.
-Swipe down on the keyboard to switch between Alpha and Symbol keyboards
-Swipe right to left on the keyboard to delete the entire last word spelt (alternativetly use 2 fingers swipe right to left to delete two words and so on)
-Inside a native application, hold and drag the left menu button to the right to return to the home panel. (Inside the app)
-Inside an android application swipe diagonally from the bottom bezel to “go back” a page
-Inside an android application swipe down from the top to show the “back” bar, and you have the ability to “pin” the bar there for future use if diagonal gesture doesn’t work.
-More to follow
Last edited by Kris Simundson; 05-05-13 at 09:10 AM.Device: LG G2 w/ Moto 360
Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 8
Fully updated for the night, quick and dirty FAQ, more will come later as my headache isn't making this easy. Gonna be getting help from Root to spruce it up, maybe make it a little more understandable if its not. Again anything you notice on the forums that get asked alot let us know, we'll keep to updating this FAQ so we can try to avoid all the unnecessary threads
- 04-25-13, 11:32 PM #8
Yeah it was going to say you need to stay on top of this otherwise it gets pushed down every time someone replies to a thread or makes a new thread.
Posted via CB10I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
- CrackBerry Addict
04-26-13, 07:01 AM #14
- 602 Posts
Great FAQ, happy to help with the BumpRemember: Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wastedRocking my Eczellent Z10 STL 100-3 on WIND Canada, currently abusing the
10.1.0. 4633 4653 4687 10.2.0. 810 1047 1323 1371 144310.2.1. 200 1055 1259 1925 1925 Official 2141 2228 2234 2947 317510.3.0 296/441 700 Dev with the Adam Szucs provided bars 1052 1130 115410.3.1 632 821 with the 800 newer bars 800 using Blitz 938 using Blitz1016 leak
- 04-26-13, 09:11 AM #17
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Picked up a couple of things.
One that I'm having some confusion with though is "-Swipe up on the keyboard to switch between Alpha and Symbol keyboards ".
Doesn't seem to be working for me. I can only switch using the ?123 key. What am I missing?
Posted via CB10
- CrackBerry Addict
04-26-13, 09:41 AM #19
- 724 Posts
- Device: LG G2 w/ Moto 360
Tablet: Dell Venue Pro 8
- CrackBerry Addict
04-26-13, 10:24 AM #21
- 890 Posts
- Ask and You Will Receive
That is an amazing start / idea, this will def help reduce some of the redundant post of 'New to "insert new BB" need help with blah blah' but yet 10 other people have already had this question Thanks again for taking the time to write this all out
- CrackBerry Addict
04-26-13, 10:25 AM #22"You ever make fun of someone so much, you think you should thank them for all the good times you've had?"
- 724 Posts
- By Omnitech in forum BlackBerry 10 OSReplies: 117Last Post: 04-05-15, 04:01 AM
- By csmith954 in forum BlackBerry Torch 9810Replies: 14Last Post: 12-08-11, 08:52 AM
- By Jonathank in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 22Last Post: 12-08-11, 06:23 AM
- By tmartz in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 26Last Post: 02-25-11, 10:21 PM
- By Cowadin in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630Replies: 410Last Post: 09-09-10, 01:41 PM