Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Faisal Hashmi
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Why doesn't Instagram 4.0.2 on 10.2 let you upload videos?

I've been reading on the forum that people who have the leaked 10.2 and the newest Instagram sideload still are unable to record video but merely watch them.

I can do that anyway on my 10.1 and I was under the impression that this would change when 10.2 rolls out with the Jellybean runtime.

Is there a reason anyone knows why Instagram is unable to let videos through considering it's being emulated in a Jellybean runtime? Do you guys think there's indication for this to change when the update rolls out officially?

I'm no Instagram addict, but I was looking forward to video because I'm a filmmaker and had ideas for some interesting microfilms to post on there when 10.2 arrives on my BlackBerry Z10.
    Trinity Daniels likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Aaand I just realised this should have been in the Android Sideload subforum not here. Sorry, forum newbie here.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,987 Global Posts

Well, there could be a number of reasons at the moment.

1. It's a leaked OS, so Android Player may not be complete yet.
    2. Ultimately, Android Player != Actual Android. Chances are there will always be at least some compatibility issues.

Having said that, from what I've heard it can in fact record videos, but it will crash your device as soon as you complete your recording and go to the editing menu. With a bit of luck it might work once we get an official version of the OS.

There's also a small chance it could also work on Instagram 4.1, since the app update has made some changes to the video recording process (support for Android 4.0, ability to use videos recorded outside the app), but the APK has not yet made its way out, as the update is still rolling out on Google Play.

Edit: Looks like the 4.1 APK is actually making its way out right now, and should be able to upload pre-recorded videos.
    Passport (10.3.0.1418) | Z30 (10.3.1.1016) | Lumia 1020 (WP8.1, Lumia Cyan) | Surface Pro 3 (256GB i5)
  4. gkl
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    730 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

Video upload confirmed working - 4.1

Posted via CB10
    Samsungs + various Nokia's > 8520 > 8900 > 9900 + Playbook
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,987 Global Posts

Yep, pre-recorded videos upload perfectly. However, the app crashes if you attempt to record within the app and then upload.
    Passport (10.3.0.1418) | Z30 (10.3.1.1016) | Lumia 1020 (WP8.1, Lumia Cyan) | Surface Pro 3 (256GB i5)
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Brilliant news! I can't believe the timing of this post and the 4.1 release. Can anyone using 10.2 and the new version confirm that you can bring multiple pre-recorded videos in for editing into one 15 second video? So if I've recorded four scenes on four different days from my Z10, I can bring them and chop them up into one 15 second film?

Also, does the app find out whether the video is recorded from the phone or can it be an MP4 file that's edited in Premiere Pro or something and just transferred to the phone? It could actually be a BIG change to how apps like this and Vine work and lead to more professionally edited and mixed content, albeit less of that quirky rough vibe that I also like.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,987 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal Hashmi View Post
    Brilliant news! I can't believe the timing of this post and the 4.1 release. Can anyone using 10.2 and the new version confirm that you can bring multiple pre-recorded videos in for editing into one 15 second video? So if I've recorded four scenes on four different days from my Z10, I can bring them and chop them up into one 15 second film?

Also, does the app find out whether the video is recorded from the phone or can it be an MP4 file that's edited in Premiere Pro or something and just transferred to the phone? It could actually be a BIG change to how apps like this and Vine work and lead to more professionally edited and mixed content, albeit less of that quirky rough vibe that I also like.
    Unfortunately, there are quite a few catches with this method of uploading photos.

1. Nope, doesn't seem like you can bring multiple videos in. Just one.
    2. It seems that if you've recorded the video on 10.2 using the stock camera app, Instagram doesn't play nice with the codecs and won't let you upload. Videos recorded on older OS', or using certain third-party apps (Keek was brought up as an example in the Instagram 4.1 thread), should work however.

But yes, you should be able to bring in a file not recorded by the phone - just be wary that Instagram could always have something against those codecs too.
    Thanked by:
    Graheem (08-21-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEvul View Post
    Unfortunately, there are quite a few catches with this method of uploading photos.

1. Nope, doesn't seem like you can bring multiple videos in. Just one.
    2. It seems that if you've recorded the video on 10.2 using the stock camera app, Instagram doesn't play nice with the codecs and won't let you upload. Videos recorded on older OS', or using certain third-party apps (Keek was brought up as an example in the Instagram 4.1 thread), should work however.

But yes, you should be able to bring in a file not recorded by the phone - just be wary that Instagram could always have something against those codecs too.
    I tried several types of videos, some from internet, some current 10.x and some older BBOS but all failed. Going to try Keek now. Just wondering if the port or the sideload would be better. On to the test.

Downloaded Keek for BB10 from appworld. Didn't work. Sideload didn't work. I have read that some have uploaded Keek vids to IG, but I'd like to know how.

Ok, so sideload of Keek does work, and IG can load video from it. It also was able to download some old videos I had made on computer years ago. But Z10 does have hard time with them when you are trying to edit them. They play ok on Z10, but the same videos play smoother and sound better when I play them on my iPhone 4S. Anyhow, it works and I'm pretty pleased with this now.

http://instagram.com/sonicvision#
    Last edited by Graheem; 08-22-2013 at 01:27 PM. Reason: update/corrections
    Telus Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.1130 Beta