Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HaTaX
  1. Icarus3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    539 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default New sideloading method with debug token - why do some apps work for some people but not for others?

    Thanks to xsacha I was able to get some android apps sideloaded using the new tutorial and scripts pretty easily.

    Using the June 15 #6 script, on my Z10 with Software 10.1.0.273/ OS 10.1.0.1720, I was able to get the following working flawlessly*:

    Temple Run
    Temple Run 2**
    Subway Surfers Miami*
    Hill Climb Racing
    Textplus (old sideloading method worked for texting, but not voice calls. now voice calls work too!)
    Fongo

    However, I am having problems with the following:

    Runtastic - Opens. Asks for permissions. Popup message runs for a few minutes "Initializing" (with spinning circle). Then shuts down.
    Netflix - Same.
    XBMC - opens fine, but says no network connection, so I can't do anything with it (maybe that's normal? but I saw front page article saying it was working).

    The above open the same way if I try multiple times, or even multiple battery pulls.

    Not the end of the world if I can't get these files working, but I hate to feel left out of the party Also, would really love to get XBMC working, and I was used to Runtastic on my 9700 (but Endomondo is an ok alternative). Netflix isn't a big deal eitehr since I have the older version working.

    But, if there is a way to get these apps running, I'm willing to try just about anything. I am close to doing a full wipe of my Z10, but would really like to avoid that unless someone can tell me it would help. I initially thought I had too little storage left on my device, but I deleted a bunch of apps and games I never use, and now have 1.8 GB free storage, which should be enough room (I think?).

    Any suggestions? Anyone have any idea why I can't get certain apps to run that others can?


    As a side note: I am having some problems with the apps I initially said worked "flawlessly":
    *I can't connect to "friends" on any of the games. I can log on to facebook - I see my FB image, but that's it. e.g. Subway Surfers tells me I can get 5000 coins for logging on to facebook, but that doesn't seem to work.
    **Temple Run 1 & 2 now freeze on me right after initial Imangi splash screen, even though both worked perfectly yesterday.... will try to re-install both temple run 1 &2 working again after battery pull
    Last edited by Icarus3000; 06-17-2013 at 12:43 PM.
  2. HaTaX's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    There are LOTS of different versions of APKs floating around out there, some people may be trying a newer / older version and some APKs are even tailored to the SDK level of the device that downloaded them. (BlackBerry's SDK level is 10 with the current AP)

    Some of the APKs have been pre-hacked to remove certain device limitations, etc. There's just a lot of factors that can play a role here and it's hard to nail it down to just one reason. FWIW I was able to get a newer version of Netflix running using this method, but it's not the latest version offered by a long shot.
    My Apps on BlackBerry App World: Forward-Thinking Apps

    Thanked by 2:
    00stryder (06-17-2013),  Icarus3000 (06-17-2013) 
  3. ealvnv's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,341 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    With this method I can get Netflix, latest official version 2.3.0.902 working fine with 2.3.3 runtime but crashes with 4.2.2 go figure.

    Posted via CB10
    Z30 on AT&T - OS 10.2.XXXX as a daily driver
    HTC ONE Google Play Edition, Nokia Lumia 1020, Iphone 5S for development and testing.
    Ipad Mini with Retina for fun
    Thanked by:
    Icarus3000 (06-17-2013) 
  4. Icarus3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    539 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    Searching for compatible apk's I can handle. Wiping my device in vain is something I am happy to avoid, so thanks!

    But, I know for a fact I am using the same version of XBMC as others. But... looking at the picture on the front page from this weekend, it appears as though the version Shao128 highlighted also wasn't connected to the network. I'm a bit confused how anyone can do anything useful with XBMC on their phone with network connectivity, but that's probably a topic for another thread.

    Edit:

    With this method I can get Netflix, latest official version 2.3.0.902 working fine with 2.3.3 runtime but crashes with 4.2.2 go figure.
    I am running android 2.3.3 runtime, but Netflix 2.3.0.902 obtained from google play store does not work for me (as per OP). Leads me back to my original question of "why?".
    Last edited by Icarus3000; 06-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
  5. 00stryder's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,164 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    So far every apk I've downloaded from the Google Play Store using the Bluestacks method has worked well, save Word With Friends (still laggy but I think that's always been the case with that particular app) and Google Maps (again, not sure if that app just doesn't like the Android runtime on BlackBerry).

    I've got:
    - Candy Crush Saga (damn you Bla1ze, now I'm addicted!)
    - Subway Surfer
    - Temple Run 2
    - USMLE World Qbank
    - Epocrates
    - Medscape
    - Pinterest
    - Words With Friends
    - Google Maps
    - Ghost Commander


    Posted via CB10
    "The blacker the berry the sweeter the use..." -- 93Aero
  6. lwaysluking's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    188 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus3000 View Post
    Thanks to xsacha I was able to get some android apps sideloaded using the new tutorial and scripts pretty easily.

    Using the June 15 #6 script, on my Z10 with Software 10.1.0.273/ OS 10.1.0.1720, I was able to get the following working flawlessly*:

    Temple Run
    Temple Run 2**
    Subway Surfers Miami*
    Hill Climb Racing
    Textplus (old sideloading method worked for texting, but not voice calls. now voice calls work too!)
    Fongo

    However, I am having problems with the following:

    Runtastic - Opens. Asks for permissions. Popup message runs for a few minutes "Initializing" (with spinning circle). Then shuts down.
    Netflix - Same.
    XBMC - opens fine, but says no network connection, so I can't do anything with it (maybe that's normal? but I saw front page article saying it was working).

    The above open the same way if I try multiple times, or even multiple battery pulls.

    Not the end of the world if I can't get these files working, but I hate to feel left out of the party Also, would really love to get XBMC working, and I was used to Runtastic on my 9700 (but Endomondo is an ok alternative). Netflix isn't a big deal eitehr since I have the older version working.

    But, if there is a way to get these apps running, I'm willing to try just about anything. I am close to doing a full wipe of my Z10, but would really like to avoid that unless someone can tell me it would help. I initially thought I had too little storage left on my device, but I deleted a bunch of apps and games I never use, and now have 1.8 GB free storage, which should be enough room (I think?).

    Any suggestions? Anyone have any idea why I can't get certain apps to run that others can?


    As a side note: I am having some problems with the apps I initially said worked "flawlessly":
    *I can't connect to "friends" on any of the games. I can log on to facebook - I see my FB image, but that's it. e.g. Subway Surfers tells me I can get 5000 coins for logging on to facebook, but that doesn't seem to work.
    **Temple Run 1 & 2 now freeze on me right after initial Imangi splash screen, even though both worked perfectly yesterday.... will try to re-install both temple run 1 &2 working again after battery pull
    Not all of my symptoms match yours, but I see something in common.
    I used XSacha's debug token method to convert some Android apps. I'll use Netflix and Spotify as examples of some network issues I discovered.
    My Netflix app is the same BAR file that was leaked in these forums because it was the only one that could be made to run in the Z10 android environment (therefore I did not have to convert and sign it).
    I did however convert and sign a Spotify apk file with no issues.
    I side loaded both apps onto my Z10 with no issues, but noticed that, even though I was on a strong wifi network, neither app would allow me to log in. I gave up after a while, ready to try again later.
    Fast forward 2 hours. Now I am outside running errands. I decide to try my Netflix and Spotify again while on the cell network (AT&T 4G LTE). Lo and behold, I could log in, no problem.
    Once I was home again, I could no longer log in -- again-- hmmmmm- until I tried turning off wifi on my Z10. Indeed, I could immediately log in over cell network. So clearly, the apps were not able to select and use my wifi once it became the only form of Internet connectivity allowed by my Z10 at home.
    Fearing that I might never be sure if a ported Android app was using my cellular data when it's not supposed to, I decided to security wipe my Z10 to give myself some chance of repairing the problem.
    Thankfully, the security wipe placed the phone into a proper state so that I was able to get correct login behavior from both apps the next time I side loaded them, whether I was switching between cell only (wifi off) or wifi only (cell off). Of course, it remains to be seen whether the apps are just lying to me, so I'll time stamp my streaming activities and watch my cellular data usage over the next couple of days to verify. I wonder if your apps are suffering from a bit of my problem.
    Last edited by lwaysluking; 06-17-2013 at 02:56 PM.
  7. HaTaX's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,400 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00stryder View Post
    So far every apk I've downloaded from the Google Play Store using the Bluestacks method has worked well, save Word With Friends (still laggy but I think that's always been the case with that particular app) and Google Maps (again, not sure if that app just doesn't like the Android runtime on BlackBerry).
    I've made a thread with almost the latest version of Google Maps that I did some work on and fixed up most of the force closes, it's version 6.14.1 and I think the latest is 6.14.3. Anyway, grab it from here and you won't even need to worry about a debug token for it : http://forums.crackberry.com/android...nabled-819130/
    My Apps on BlackBerry App World: Forward-Thinking Apps

    00stryder likes this.
  8. 00stryder's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,164 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HaTaX View Post
    I've made a thread with almost the latest version of Google Maps that I did some work on and fixed up most of the force closes, it's version 6.14.1 and I think the latest is 6.14.3. Anyway, grab it from here and you won't even need to worry about a debug token for it : http://forums.crackberry.com/android...nabled-819130/
    Yep already saw and downloaded it from your thread, thanks again HaTaX! I just included it in the list of apps I converted to demonstrate which Android apps worked for me and which are still acting a bit funky.

    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 00stryder; 06-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    "The blacker the berry the sweeter the use..." -- 93Aero

Similar Threads

  1. New Sideload Method Tutorial (CLEAN)
    By Charlie Thammavongsa in forum BB10 Android App Sideloading
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 11-09-2013, 12:36 AM
  2. Why lots of apps for BB phones, but not for PB?
    By 5363767 in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
  3. Why lots of apps for BB phones, but not for PB?
    By 5363767 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
  4. New BB user, with used Curve... what do I need to know?
    By KateBB in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 04:06 PM
  5. I don't have problems with my 8900. Why do others?
    By cristianbalan in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 06:41 AM

Posting Permissions