Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeroen_13
  • 1 Post By Flip4Bytes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What is best platform to develop BB10 app?

Hi,

I know it's silly Q. but, I couldn't find clear answer anywhere.
    I'm into app development for blackberry but don't know what to choose Webworks or Java or Native SDK>?

Thanks
    M
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Okay, the best thing you can do is choose the SDK that is too understand. I listed below some good/bad things for every SDK

Webworks.
    Easy platform to develop on, cross-platform and native look with BBUI.js . But; it is only for content display and simple apps. Not for high-graphics apps.

Java.
    If you choose to develop in Java, you'll make an Android app. The android player has it own restrictions and people don't always appreciate Android (ported) apps.

Native.
    Cascades UI, smooth and responsive, but only for BB10. (Webworks apps can be backported to Playbook & Os7 or lower). 3D graphics and C++ extensions.

Marmalade SDK
    Basically a 2D game creator (for games like Angry birds). Only for developing games

I recommend you to start with checking out the demos first (of every language) to see which coding language you like to most.
    Thanked by:
    Piink (02-06-2013) 
    DevSteven likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts

I HIGHLY recommend using Native Cascades.. I started by using WebWorks, and shortly after switched to Cascades.. After seeing the performance upgrade you get, its a no brainer. Don't waste your time! If you're serious about it, make it native!
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 02-07-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc
    Thanked by:
    Piink (02-06-2013) 
    tjseaman likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks, I will go with Cascade!
    CrackBerry Abuser

If you are familiar with HTML, follow Webworks route.
    If you are familiar with C++, follow Cascades/Native route.
    Duantox Apps
    Leandro Cerdan (Head developer)
    BlackBerry Elite Dev
    TapyHold, BB10 Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook app developer
    Duantox Twitter: https://twitter.com/duantox
    Tapyhold Twitter: https://twitter.com/tapyhold
    Email: info at duantox dot com
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackQtCoder View Post
    If you are familiar with HTML, follow Webworks route.
    If you are familiar with C++, follow Cascades/Native route.
    Not necessarily true.. i know no C++, you don't need to know C++ to go the Cascades route..

Posted via CB10
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,347 Global Posts

Flip4Bytes is _mostly_ right. I am mostly a HTML5 guy but I succesfully ported most of the UI of Screamager and Scientific RPN Calculator to Cascades. Working with Cascade's QML is great and extremely easy to learn. I did enter a bunch of hard challenges making the HTML5 bits talk to the Cascades bits back and forth. The only way to do it right now is by posting messages from JS inside WebViews to JS inside Cascade QML. It required some serious hacking at times. But: doable. My apps prove that anyway

That said, you can NOT always avoid having to use C++ when you go the Cascades route. Recently I added BBM invite, social sharing and copy to clipboard to my apps and I found myself forced to use C++ to make this happen. It was a bit painful but I got it done.

That said, the advantages of going with Cascades are obvious. You get that signature super slick performing BlackBerry 10 look and feel which makes your apps get much more of a 'premium' feel than using HTML5 WebWorks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,347 Global Posts

Oh yeah, like others have indicated, WebWorks does have a native LOOK if you use BBui but the performance of real Cascades UI is way smoother.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Flip4Bytes is _mostly_ right. I am mostly a HTML5 guy but I succesfully ported most of the UI of Screamager and Scientific RPN Calculator to Cascades. Working with Cascade's QML is great and extremely easy to learn. I did enter a bunch of hard challenges making the HTML5 bits talk to the Cascades bits back and forth. The only way to do it right now is by posting messages from JS inside WebViews to JS inside Cascade QML. It required some serious hacking at times. But: doable. My apps prove that anyway

That said, you can NOT always avoid having to use C++ when you go the Cascades route. Recently I added BBM invite, social sharing and copy to clipboard to my apps and I found myself forced to use C++ to make this happen. It was a bit painful but I got it done.

That said, the advantages of going with Cascades are obvious. You get that signature super slick performing BlackBerry 10 look and feel which makes your apps get much more of a 'premium' feel than using HTML5 WebWorks.
    Yep, adding BBM integration you need C++ but actually adding social, you don't.. There is a really simple QML code that takes less lines of code and does the exact same thing with no C++.. It's a shame that so much of the documentation runs towards C++ even when there are easier ways to do it with QML. I'm not on my computer right now, but lemme know if you want me to grab the code and post it on here, it's quite useful. (:

Posted via CB10
    ___

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,347 Global Posts

I'm definitely interested in seeing that. My solution (C++) is here:

Adding Social Sharing through Invocation to your BlackBerry 10 Cascades app - A post from TheMarco - Forrst

If you can do the exact same thing through QML I'd love to hear about it. I tried that route myself first but it's not working right so I reverted to C++.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

I started with WebWorks, but i moved to Cascades now.
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts

I'm definitely interested in seeing that. My solution (C++) is here:

Adding Social Sharing through Invocation to your BlackBerry 10 Cascades app - A post from TheMarco - Forrst

If you can do the exact same thing through QML I'd love to hear about it. I tried that route myself first but it's not working right so I reverted to C++.
    EDIT: here ya go, it's this easy:

Just throw this in

Code:
    actions [
        InvokeActionItem {
            id: invokeShare
            ActionBar.placement: ActionBarPlacement.OnBar
            query {
                mimeType: "text/plain"
                invokeActionId: "bb.action.SHARE"
            }
            onTriggered: {
                data = webview.title + " | " + webview.url + " via @WDCSApp"
            }
        }
    ]
    (The "onTriggered" part grabs the webview title, the URL, and it posts them in that order with "via @WDCSApp" at the end)

Not positive if you can use this in other ways.. This is for sharing a web URL within your app, you might need C++ to do other sharing options come to think of it, my buddy was doing this exact same thing using all C++ though and he was relieved to see this so hopefully it helps. I mean you can change the "webview.title" and "webview.url" to other generic terms within your app that call out to different parts like if you have a description or something, so I think you can just modify it to work how you want it, not totally sure though, have only used this for sharing websites within my app.
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 02-19-2013 at 04:16 AM.
    ___

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,347 Global Posts

Hmmm. I tried that and it didn't work... I know it's supposed to but it didn't...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts

Hmmm. I tried that and it didn't work... I know it's supposed to but it didn't...
    Weird.. I don't think I have any special C++ that is making it work, although I may? Not sure.. my buddy just showed me this way so I used it, all I put in was that code so I'm not sure.

Posted via CB10
    ___

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,347 Global Posts

Oh wait sorry, this does work. But only in an ActionItem context. I needed it on a button and there was no way to make that work through QML. I think another developer already filed a bug / issue in JIRA about it. At the moment you can only do that with C++.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts

Oh wait sorry, this does work. But only in an ActionItem context. I needed it on a button and there was no way to make that work through QML. I think another developer already filed a bug / issue in JIRA about it. At the moment you can only do that with C++.
    Oh my bad! Had no idea you meant in a button.. have only seen the share icon used in the context menu or on the action bar in apps, so I just assumed! My bad! Glad to hear it works fine tho hope they fix it to work as a button, no reason for it not to..

Posted via CB10
    ___