Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By neilmann
  • 1 Post By 1iam5mith
  • 2 Post By KermEd
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Trouble updating app using different keys

Hi, I am a developing novice, and I converted my Android app to the playbook a few months ago, but now have made an update that should make it work on both BB10 phones and playbooks, (basically just changed the splash screen and screen res and one or two bug fixes), but unfortunately I forgot my old keystore password!!!!!!!! So I contacted RIM, and was told to request new ones, it would duplicate my app, but the only solution, so I now have new keys, new passwords etc.... the .APK has successfully been converted to a .BAR using the online tools. I have just gone to submit the update, and I get this come up "File bundle (AppNameHere.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle."
    What can I do?

Thank you in advance for the help
    And happy holidays everyone
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    818 Global Posts

I think it means the name of the filebundle must match. For example, when you upload your filebundle bar file to vendor portal, it asks you to specify filebundle name on the first column. That has to match the name of the filebundle you originally gave it before. I had a similar situation and tried to update my app but forgot what name I used for my original filebundle when I had originally uploaded it. So I keep track of this now and managed to eventually remember or trial-and-error the name I gave it, and it worked.

That's my thought, but it could be something else.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for you response, what does the file bundle have to contain? I have the .BAR in a .ZIP is the right? The .BAR name and the app name and the .ZIP name are all the same :/
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    818 Global Posts

The BAR file is just a ZIP file, with your app files. Depending on whether it is webworks, native, adobe air, it will have different files and folders packaged in there.

You just rename it back to BAR before you upload it to your vendor portal. More importantly, I believe once you sign your bar either when compiling or afterwards (using command -line blackberry signer utilities) you should have 5 files in the META-INF folder as follows:

* AUTHOR.EC
    * AUTHOR.SF
    * MANIFEST.MF
    * RDK.EC
    * RDK.SF

At least that's how it goes for Native apps.

I don't think your problem has anything to do with signing the app. It is because when you upload your updated app, the bar filename and the filebundle name you specified in vendor portal don't match the same as when you first uploaded your app.

For example, you could have initially used filebundle "asteroids" and specified it as a QNX version 10 minimum file, and had uploaded the file "asterbb10.bar". You update your app, then when you add it in vendor portal you need you specify again "asteroids" in the first column on the page where you upload your bar file. If that doesn't match then it may cause problems. To be safe, make sure you also use the same bar name "asterbb10.bar" just in case.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    818 Global Posts

One other thing...

Confirm that your updated BAR functions by running it on your Playbook with debug mode and debugtoken, then sign it and try it without debugtoken installed. If it still runs without being in developer mode with a debugtoken, then your app package is signed fine. It then has to do all with appworld vendor portal and how it recognizes updates to existing apps.

If your app doesn't work on a Playbook that is normal (not debug mode) it means it is not signed properly so you have to figure out the problem there (has nothing to do with vendor portal).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks for your help
    unfortunately I still haven't got this sorted
    I have all 5 in the META-INF

Because its my android app, I converted and signed using the blackberry online tools.
    When I upload the .BAR as a .ZIP (changed the file extension) I get this:
    Invalid binary file (MANIFEST.MF4536762252970285548.MF)
    Invalid binary file (AUTHOR.SF4118683282733310903.SF)
    Invalid binary file (AUTHOR.EC5572808432002178245.EC)
    Invalid binary file (RDK.SF176994569059359206.SF)
    Invalid binary file (RDK.EC7238625669752760700.EC)
    Invalid binary file (ya.png7918581301526835697.png)
    Invalid binary file (The Mole Hole.apk4077442270708052578.apk)

This is confusing the **** out of me lol

Also do you think my thread is in the right place? Would I get more responce if it where somewhere else on here?

Thanks again Merry Christmas
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

The problem is that you are using different signing keys for the updated version of the app. In order to update the app, you must use the same keys.

Here is a note when changing keys:
    "(!) Warning: this action will unregister this computer, making it unable to sign applications. To continue signing applications and creating debug tokens, you will need to register again at: http://www.blackberry.com/go/codesigning After reregistering, new versions of your apps will appear as new applications, not upgrades, and will not have access to shared data from previous versions. Are you sure you wish to delete your current keys?"

Relevant conversations:
    Update app version with new signing keys - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

New Signing Keys - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Also, the official developer forums (General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums) may be a bit more active than the CB forums for developers.
    Sent from the future in my BB10 powered DeLorean
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Thanks for your response, I have the original keys, and could probably guess what my CSK and Keystore passwords where again, but since updating to new pc, I cant use the original keys as it says I cant register them again :'(
    CrackBerry Addict

YOU NEED TO USE THE SAME KEYS WHEN UPDATING YOUR APPS. BACKUP YOUR KEYS DAILY.

I had to write it in all caps because these points have been re-iterated thousands of times in the forums and at BlackBerry developer events.
    Creator/Architect of WireLink : Multiple Numbers from One BlackBerry | Privacy and Communications Identity Management http://wirelink.co
    Coming Soon: Pixel Censor (Redact, Censor Images)
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

I have the original keys, both .CSJ and .P12, but just wont let me use them as on a different PC :'(
    Thanked by:
    DevSteven (06-20-2013) 
    DevSteven likes this.

You *can* use new keys to sign your app. And you can post that app in appworld --- appworld doest not care what keys you use just that it is valid.

1) Find your current bar
    2) Find your old bar
    3) Rename both to zip
    4) Extract to separate folders.
    5) In both - open Manifest/Manifest.??? using Notepad++

Note: if you only have manifest.??? In that folder, it didng sign correctly.

6) Compare the old Package ID with your new one.

I believe android ports inherit the package id direct from android. BUT you can manually change it in the manifest, repackage as a ZIP, rename to BAR and test deploy to your debugger.

If it still fails, send me a PM. You can send me the BAR files (I need the new and old) and I can probably help ya. Sometimes the problem is in the packaging and causes a false error. There is a batch file rim provides that can validate the signing for you.

Cheers

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KermEd; 05-12-2013 at 11:47 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Sith_Apprentice (01-07-2013) 
    Sith_Apprentice and DevSteven like this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Hi thanks for your help, but in the meantime I have heard back from RIM, they have cleared the package ID, and now its uploaded fine, thank you for the support and help though
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Thank you everyone who contributed in helpin me, the app is now under review, if anyone has a dev alpha device they would like to test it on, please let me know, I can send you a copy of the app to try, I will post when its been approved, and because I no longer have a playbook, anyone who wants to download it and give me some feedback, that would be much appreciated, thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hello KermEd
    I followed your instruction but i have this error message "Some files are missing signatures This bar contains unsigned entries which have not been integrity-checked." when I upload the new version of my application

Hmm

Did you modify the signed BAR? If so, you can't use win zip to pack it. If you do the folder names are treated as filenames but are unsigned. Let me reread this thread its been a while.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,193 Global Posts

P.S. If you have a PB OS and a BB10 file release for the same app the PB OS packager mangles the package id into something different every time...

So one workaround (since BlackBerry Support didn't help) is to manually change the package id of your bb10 app

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi,

I know its a old thread. But i tried to zip and change packageid then rezip but it doesnt install on Z10. the error is some thing 880 meta-inf rdk-sf.

can you help me. if you want i can send you the bar files old and new.