Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By chrysaurora
  • 2 Post By Brian Scheirer
  • 1 Post By Brian Scheirer
  • 2 Post By chrysaurora
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Is there a newbie development guide?

I haven't done any development for a long long time. I did CS in school (mostly C++ and some Python/Java) but it has been a long time and I have been working in project management since. But I used to like development assignments in school. With BB10, it has piqued my interest again and I'd like to develop for BB. Or maybe use something like Titanium to develop cross platform app.

Is there a complete newbie guide? Although I know some coding, I'd like it if the guide assumed that I had no prior knowledge of any coding (neither web, nor desktop coding). I'd like the guide to cover this:
    -> Setting up development environment (install x, install y, configure x, configure y along with explanation of why x and y are being installed in the first place)
    -> step by step development of one or two apps
    -> step by step process of re-factoring these apps you just developed
    -> step by step illustration of adding some new features to example apps you just developed
    I'd like to see lots of screenshots and code snippets.

Is there such a guide? If so, do tell!
    ------------------------
    Dear BlackBerry::

---------------------
    MoolahMitch likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

Start here and choose your developing enviroment.

https://developer.blackberry.com/

After that, RIM has done a great job of providing examples and steps for making an app.

Their GitHub has great examples.
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks. I saw the site. Several development environment options there.

- If I select WebWorks -> does this means, I am basically developing a website? It won't be an "installable" app per-se?
    Another related question: if, by using WebWorks, all I am developing is just a website in HTML5, then this website should also work in Android and iOS browsers. So, by developing in WebWorks, am I kind of developing a cross-platform app?

- C++ is obviously going to result in an installable app.

- How about AIR? What's that for? Never heard of it, nor used it.

By the way, any other mobile app development guide that you might want to recommend?
    ------------------------

---------------------
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AVPTI View Post
    Start here and choose your developing enviroment.

https://developer.blackberry.com/

After that, RIM has done a great job of providing examples and steps for making an app.

Their GitHub has great examples.
    What he said and the dev relations team on Twitter are very helpful @asaunders, @alexkinsella and crew
    Regards,

Moolah Mitch

Z10 STL100-3/10.1.0.2354
    Playbook 16G 2.1.0.1526
    Playbook 64G 2.1.0.1526
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have a Cascades coding blog (with examples and tutorials) but it assumes you've already installed/set up Cascades... should take a look if you decide to go the Cascades route (the best in my opinion). Plus everything you can do in WebWorks (html/css/js) can be done inside of Cascades.
    My BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles | camZOO

Oh ya... And I write for some website called "CrackBerry"... check out my posts here
    Thanked by 3:
    chrysaurora (12-01-2012),  dragonx6 (12-04-2012),  maxb1ack (12-06-2012) 
    mithrazor and maxb1ack like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

Quote Originally Posted by bcs925 View Post
    I have a Cascades coding blog (with examples and tutorials) but it assumes you've already installed/set up Cascades... should take a look if you decide to go the Cascades route (the best in my opinion). Plus everything you can do in WebWorks (html/css/js) can be done inside of Cascades.
    So that's you!

I've visited your site often. Great resource
    XoXoXo
    Thanked by:
    Brian Scheirer (12-05-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts

Newbie developer here.

Stick to QML until you get the hang of things. Re-use source code that they give you. They have a CustomSQL handler that you can use, but there's a LIBS declaration in the .pro file that you need to add before using ANY database.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    - If I select WebWorks -> does this means, I am basically developing a website? It won't be an "installable" app per-se?
    - C++ is obviously going to result in an installable app.
    - How about AIR? What's that for? Never heard of it, nor used it.
    All the listed development environments produce installable apps, even WebWorks. They differ in the main language(s) used to write your source code and define your user interface.

AIR is Adobe I-something R-something.. the acronym's irrelevant, but it's basically using Flash (the ActionScript3 language) to write your program.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

N4BB had a guide for getting you set up to making an app.

Absolute Beginner

Global Posts
    10,539 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

In response to the WebWorks question:
    The bulk of the app would be written with html/javascript/css, BUT when you package it, it's run via a c++ "program" that you can add c++ extensions to, and these c++ extensions can be called from the app (that's how it works in BB10; in TabletOS it's the same, but using Air instead of c++). This gives your WebWorks code potential to be a lot more powerful than just html.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

I'm new to this too, I looked at the options and decided to start with HTML5, CSS, and Javascript, I think i'm picking it up at an okay pace, I've been reading "HTML,XHTML & CSS for Dummies" and "HTML5 for Dummies Quick Reference" I have the files I can send you if your interested, just pm me. You kinda have to read them at the same time as the HTML5 book is a little more up to date. From what I read on the Blackberry Developer website, a Webworks app will still be downloadable in Blackberry World, and run the same as any other app. And it can be packaged for BB0S, PB2.0, BB10, and eventually BB10 for Playbook.

So far this seems like a good place to start (for me, at least) but eventually I'd like to learn more C++ and work with cascades.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mithrazor View Post
    N4BB had a guide for getting you set up to making an app.

Absolute Beginner
    I was originally inspired by this, it gives you a bit of a taste, but then leaves you hanging. They never made a part 3, so I found I didn't really learn that much from it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by jordandrews90 View Post
    I was originally inspired by this, it gives you a bit of a taste, but then leaves you hanging. They never made a part 3, so I found I didn't really learn that much from it.
    Because of that (and not just picking on N4BB, every resource seems to leave you hanging there) I made a new posting on my blog: Learning BB10 Cascades... After HelloWorld that is designed to help you in the few steps after the "intro" stuff. Hope it helps.
    My BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles | camZOO

Oh ya... And I write for some website called "CrackBerry"... check out my posts here
    Thanked by 2:
    chrysaurora (12-05-2012),  mithrazor (12-12-2012) 
    mithrazor likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts

Default Is there a newbie development guide?

I've submitted several apps for both Playbook and BB10 and can consider myself an old-school C programmer also that "got back in the game" recently, so I can tell you what worked the easiest for me to pick up. Depends a lot also on the type of app you are developing.

Webworks:

By far the easiest if you are looking for an app that is more like a book or navigation UI, with menus, buttons, screens, images and video and sound elements, self-contained but also capable of accessing web content. Like catalog, reference guides, calculators or converters... Just about anything you can do with javascript.

For example, my Talking Alarm Text Clock and Smoking Calculator were made in webworks. They use HTML with CSS and Javascript. You can do many puzzle-type games also, but not really best for fast optimized high end graphics.

The UI for webworks apps can be made nice with jQuery and/or bbUI.js which makes it easy to create dialogs, menus, sliders, drop downs, calendars, etc. Much better than doing traditional web sites. That is why with jQuery and bbUI it can look just like a regular app and not anything like a website.

Also it is easy to debug and code webworks. All you need is Chrome with Ripple and a text editor to type in all your code into pages. Or you can use a web-design program but you may still have to optimize by hand coding.

And yes, webworks apps should translate over to other platforms like Android and iOS. Look at phonegap for more info. I say if you are doing more simple interactive apps that aren't relying on heavy graphics rendering, and are more like interactive content viewers or puzzle games or children books or apps, then Webworks is easy.

Marmalade SDK:

If you want to get elbow deep into C then try Marmalade. I signed up for the offer a few months ago and started playing with their extensive examples. It takes a bit more to get started though.

First you need Marmalade and I am not sure if the Blackberry/Marmalade promo may have ended. Then you get Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express... Not as simple anymore as a text editor! You need this (thankfully it is FREE) as your development environment.

Then you start learning and learning. There is a site called drmop.com which has a step by step guide to Marmalade so that is a good starting point.

There are lots of special functions with a mess of convoluted names and parameters with Marmalade but they are geared towards graphics so if you want to make a game involving 2D sprites or primitive drawings it can be very good. For example, a brick-breaker game or asteroids, even a 2D jumper game... or physics game like Angry birds... All these are fairly straight-forward in Marmalade as you draw graphical sprites to the screen and listen for touch interactions so you can decide what the user is doing.

I am currently finishing up my game with Marmalade and prefer it over Webworks for 2D graphical games. However, for development ease and speed for a content-delivery app, webworks is way easier. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Thanked by:
    chrysaurora (12-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

You may refer this link mentioned below, it's a blackberry developer's guide for beginners. Just go through this link.

Absolute Beginner
    CrackBerry Addict

Cascades Code - Learn BlackBerry® 10™ Native Development

The Original - Cascades Blog est. June 2012.
    BlackBerry® 10 Cascades

Cascades Videos & More. On twitter too!
    More to come!

-> Setting up development environment (install x, install y, configure x, configure y along with explanation of why x and y are being installed in the first place)
    -> step by step development of one or two apps
    -> step by step process of re-factoring these apps you just developed
    -> step by step illustration of adding some new features to example apps you just developed
    Going to take your request into account. Stay tuned for something comprehensive soon from CascadesCode.com!

Best of luck to you buddy.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by kdna View Post
    Going to take your request into account. Stay tuned for something comprehensive soon from CascadesCode.com!
    Best of luck to you buddy.
    Thanks a lot for taking this request into consideration.
    Here is a rough list of things I'd like to see in a potential tutorial/book. I think it'd be super-useful to developers. I'd pay for such material. Here:
    1. Section on installing and running the whole development enviornment
    - imp: the book must explain why we are installing each component, how do they fit together? A high-level diagram of how these different peices are related to each other.
    2. Step by Step development of an easy app, moderate app, and a difficult app (3 apps total).
    For each app:
    2.1 Show how to develop it in the development environment, how to deploy it to emulator and test devices
    2.2 How to get this certified for app world
    2.3 Add some features, test these features, and then how to release an update to this app on BlackBerry App World
    ------------------------

---------------------
    Thanked by:
    Sith_Apprentice (12-18-2012)