Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Targeting Q10

Anyone building for the Q10, and come up with some creative and fancy ways of dealing with smaller vertical screen space? (720x720).

I mean, NOT a Scroll View? Something more creative?

Posted via CB10

Global Posts
    10,538 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Nope lol. There's only so much you can do with positioning and all that.
    I'm a bit worried about how I can make Tablet TV work on it, a square screen doesn't exactly lend itself to watching TV.

Posted from my Dev Alpha
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,724 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Default Re: Targeting Q10

My game is based on a rectangular playing area. Even with the timer and buttons on the right, the game area on the Z10 is still a horizontal rectangle. If I keep the same layout, it would make a vertical rectangle on the Q10, which would really shrink the playable area a lot.

What I did in version 1.2 of RuneCryption was move the timer and buttons to display across the top when played on the Q10, keeping the game in a horizontal rectangle. It'll shrink the game a little bit, and I'm really curious how it will play on the smaller screen (especially on the higher levels). If it stayed in the original format, the game would be a lot smaller. I doubt it would be playable that way. The game will look slightly different between the Z10 (controls on the right) and the Q10 (controls across the top), but everything else will play the same.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Nope lol. There's only so much you can do with positioning and all that.
    I'm a bit worried about how I can make Tablet TV work on it, a square screen doesn't exactly lend itself to watching TV.

Posted from my Dev Alpha
    How about pillar box with controls outside the tv area. If they output hdmi, output the full size rectangle same as z10. I assume people buying q10 are more interested in typing and doing than media consumption. Actually that type of person might be more interested in watching news programs so displaying full height and allow a drag to position for them could work so they can see the newsreader or these days data part of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,953 Global Posts

Default Targeting Q10

I'm playing with the idea of horizontal and vertical swipes revealing different full screen "cards".

Hard to describe, but basically I'm thinking of taking my existing elements and re-organizing into these cards. Picture a 2x3 grid of ~700x700 screens with some sort of navigation map around the edges to let you know what card you're on.

This will only work if you can logically group your components though.

Alternatively you could hide or shrink controls and increase the side of the active control when it's got focus.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts(Built For BlackBerry)
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

See now, that's a neat idea. Your typical full screen (PACKED) app for Z10 likely has user input on top, and a result on the bottom. Q10 seems keen on scrolling your scrollview to where ever there's new activity going on, but it's not reliable.

Doing a push, maybe DOWNWARDS would be rather neat.

This inspires me to make a Qml template for this. Maybe a segmented scrollview of sorts.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    My game is based on a rectangular playing area. Even with the timer and buttons on the right, the game area on the Z10 is still a horizontal rectangle. If I keep the same layout, it would make a vertical rectangle on the Q10, which would really shrink the playable area a lot.

What I did in version 1.2 of RuneCryption was move the timer and buttons to display across the top when played on the Q10, keeping the game in a horizontal rectangle. It'll shrink the game a little bit, and I'm really curious how it will play on the smaller screen (especially on the higher levels). If it stayed in the original format, the game would be a lot smaller. I doubt it would be playable that way. The game will look slightly different between the Z10 (controls on the right) and the Q10 (controls across the top), but everything else will play the same.
    Thought of using keys for the controls?

Posted via CB10