Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Homo Erectus
  • 1 Post By Tre Lawrence
    Banned

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM to Developers: Check Out the Sensors on BlackBerry 10

Thanked by:
    sydsam (11-28-2012) 
    imcurved and sydsam like this.
    CrackBerry User

Thermometer? Awesome!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    704 Global Posts

anything in there that isn't standard these days?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by Knightcrawler View Post
    anything in there that isn't standard these days?
    Lol..nope. My question is though, shouldn't developers already know about these things at this stage in the game?
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Please feel free to ask :)

Thermometers are in other phones? Seriously question...
    QNX and LTE, hand me a pen and let's do this.
    **Taken from The Engine**

Yes I am black...and yes I LOVE grape Kool Aid. I can't blame u for judging me

- Durrell pin:2B7B5318
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

yes, what's up with this thermometer? who has it now and what can it be used for?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Abuser

Don't current BBs have a thermometer? How else would my Curve know the battery temperature?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    704 Global Posts

well, im assuming it can be used to tell the temperature. That's generally what thermometers do. Not sure about who has it now, but i'd be surprised if atleast one droid device didn't already have it.

Its good that all the sensors are there, and you dont really need to break new ground in this particular area to be successful, so im not too concerned with the "well everyone else already has these" train of thought......unless rim adds a blood pressure guage and something that reads your blood sugar.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harborcoat View Post
    Don't current BBs have a thermometer? How else would my Curve know the battery temperature?
    I'm pretty sure it means external temperature, not internal. What if it also had remote temperature sensing like the ones you can wave at objects/buildings/equipment then it opens up all sorts of opportunities to be used by service technicians/energy monitoring type people.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it means external temperature, not internal. What if it also had remote temperature sensing like the ones you can wave at objects/buildings/equipment then it opens up all sorts of opportunities to be used by service technicians/energy monitoring type people.
    I'm pretty sure it's used for internal sensors, much like the ones on any of the Android devices i've used. Think about it..what good is external temperature going to tell you? You'd need to have it acclimatize from outside your pocket to the current outdoor temperature to get an accurate reading, so it's quicker to use a weather app. And you wouldn't be sticking it onto someones forehead (or into other *cough* rectal *cough* areas) for body temp. And you definately wouldn't be shoving it inside a turkey to tell if it's done. In order to wave it at buildings or other things to get temperatures, you'd need a laser or something on it (much like the laser temp guns you can buy at Canadian Tire for $30)..so I don't see that being an option.

There is nothing special about the sensors in the BB10 (at least nothing that others don't currently use)..so again my question would be, shouldn't the devs have already known about this, and why does RIM even need to point this out to them?
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's used for internal sensors, much like the ones on any of the Android devices i've used. Think about it..what good is external temperature going to tell you? You'd need to have it acclimatize from outside your pocket to the current outdoor temperature to get an accurate reading, so it's quicker to use a weather app. And you wouldn't be sticking it onto someones forehead (or into other *cough* rectal *cough* areas) for body temp. And you definately wouldn't be shoving it inside a turkey to tell if it's done. In order to wave it at buildings or other things to get temperatures, you'd need a laser or something on it (much like the laser temp guns you can buy at Canadian Tire for $30)..so I don't see that being an option.

There is nothing special about the sensors in the BB10 (at least nothing that others don't currently use)..so again my question would be, shouldn't the devs have already known about this, and why does RIM even need to point this out to them?
    While sensors were available in previous Android devices (since 2.3), most were not fully approved or activated until 4.0...
    Sensors Overview | Android Developers
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Rello View Post
    Thermometers are in other phones? Seriously question...
    This is what ecosystem really means. Third party add ons. Why should the device have this built in if only a few people will actually use it?

Cooking Thermometer

ThermoDock

Wireless Thermometer
    Last edited by sosumi11; 11-30-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

I'm pretty sure it's used for internal sensors, much like the ones on any of the Android devices i've used. Think about it..what good is external temperature going to tell you? You'd need to have it acclimatize from outside your pocket to the current outdoor temperature to get an accurate reading, s
    I think infrared heat sensor/infrared thermometer will not require any acclimatization; and that can read temperature very very quickly too. That said, I don't know what kind of heat-sensor is going to be integrated into BB10 devices.
    Dear BlackBerry,
    1. Fix Contacts App (at the bare minimum: create 2 options - clear all links and disable auto-linking of contacts)
    2. In your advertisement/commercials, please advertise "Android Player" as one of the features (you could show/print Android logo and advertise limited compatibility)
    3. Support Google Play / Google APIs in Android Player so Google Now, Maps, Hangouts/Voice work flawlessly or convince Google to develop NATIVE apps for BB10.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,593 Global Posts

Default Re: RIM to Developers: Check Out the Sensors on BlackBerry 10

... at the Thanksgiving table, carving the turkey... CRUNCH!

*sigh* "That's where I left my phone..."
    Harborcoat likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

What about sensor docs for android runtime ? There is nothing about coordinate system/orientation handling