Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SCrid2000
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Need help creating a basic app - $

I need someone to help get me started with a basic app and I am willing to pay up to $100.

What it needs to do:

install a menu option on the blackberry button called "email customer"
    extract the email address from the current screen
    invoke the email application
    prepopulate the "to" field with the extracted email address
    prepopulate the "CC" field the "subject" and the body with predefined values (canned)

example:
    I have created a website function that does this, but would like to have it as an offline app that stores the email in a file on my device - that way I can change it whenever I need to.

I have eclipse and java on my pc and have started dabbling around with Hello World and some other youtube tutorials, but I am still a ways away from an app that I can customize to do what I need it to do. If someone could provide me with the basic structure that I can change, I could paypal up to $100.00. Thanks!
    Last edited by timtrent; 02-05-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Is this for OS 7 or lower, QNX Playbook OS or BB10 ?
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

BB Phone (variety of models) OS 7

If possible, I would also like an option to attach a file attachment (pdf coupon) from a file location on the BB.
    Last edited by timtrent; 02-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

WOW well im subscribed to this, i was looking to do something similar for my field techs but on pb/bb10 im guessing webworks would be the way to go?
    I would be glad to help you however i can for free , I just gotta stop making hello world samples and start to actually code #writersblock
    CrackBerry Abuser

Very interesting.
    I'm going to second the Webworks mention, if you would like this to be cross platform HTML5 is probably the best way to go. your app will need to be invokable form within the browser tho from the menu. so that when "email Customer" is selected it invokes your app -> gathering the information and then invoking a new email and pushing the gathered information to the proper fields.
    that's my train of thought anyway, but i dont do much in HTML5 sorry.

Global Posts
    10,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Do you want the menu item to be available everywhere or just in the app itself?
    The first option isn't possible for BB10 AFAIK.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Do you want the menu item to be available everywhere or just in the app itself?
    The first option isn't possible for BB10 AFAIK.
    It only needs to be available in the app itself. But that app is a custom corporate app. I've been unsuccessful in getting the feature added as that would take going through corporate. That's why I figured any app that would be created would have the option no matter where you were- it just wouldn't work except in the corporate program where the email field was present on the screen. Or it might still work, it just would not populate the email address correctly. that's OKAY.

Here is a screenshot of a service call. From here, I would like to hit the blackberry button, then click "Send Customer Satisfaction Email", have it invoke the browser, populate it with the email from this screen, populate it with my mangers email address in the CC line, Fill in the subject, and fill in a canned email (like you see my website link above does). The problem with the way I am doing it now, You have to highlight the email address, click on the blackberry button, click "copy", switch out to the web browser, browse to the website, click on the website link which uses URL encoding to populate the fields (all except the customers email) then you have to click into the email field, click on the blackberry button, click paste to insert the customers email address into the TO line, then enter, then you can send it. That's too many clicks. So the reps aren't doing it.
    Need help creating a basic app - $-screen.jpg
    The way I see this working, the rep is in the SMS screen (the screen that displays the current service call) clicks on the blackberry button, clicks on SEND EMAIL (or whatever), the email address is extracted from the email address field (see screenshot) and pasted into the "To:" line, along with a canned email subject and a canned message body and a canned CC line (probably stored in an options screen elsewhere for the app).

One thing I do know. Our SMS program that we use for our service calls stores all the call data in SQL fields. Is it possible for the app to scrape the email from this screen, or would it need to query the sql database? If it's too hard to accomplish the automatic email population, then I could settle for doing without that part. An app that basically does what I am doing from my website would do better than I have now, because it would not require communication via a browser to complete the URL encoding process. Then we would have to paste the email address in like we are doing now. Though it would be nice if it could extract the email address from this screen. That would be ideal.
    Last edited by timtrent; 02-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Global Posts
    10,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

You would need to talk to whoever made the app, or get someone to make you a new one.
    It can certainly be done (I've personally only done email invocation in BlackBerry 10, and not in BB7 and below, so I wouldn't be any help here), but ultimately your best bet is to have the app remade with that feature.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I agree. And believe me I've spent a great deal of time trying to get corporate to do that. But at the peon level that I reside, it's not going to happen. That is why I thought I'd research an add-on app that basically invokes the browser from the blackberry button, instead of me having the use my website to invoke the browser using the dorky URL encoding method that I am doing now. I envisioned the app being simple, as my URL encoding is just one line of code. But then again, I'm no Java guru. Thanks anyway.

Global Posts
    10,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Wellll, I can create you an app that will just invoke an email with the email address set as whatever you want it to be as soon as it's clicked.
    Rather than an app though, have you maybe considered just a webpage? mailto:youremail@yourdomain.com works in the BlackBerry browser.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Wellll, I can create you an app that will just invoke an email with the email address set as whatever you want it to be as soon as it's clicked.
    Rather than an app though, have you maybe considered just a webpage? mailto:youremail@yourdomain.com works in the BlackBerry browser.
    Not sure if I follow you. How would you get the mailto command to initiate, if you don't navigate to a webpage? Like an offline webpage? How would you do that?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

I think I figured out what you meant. I created an email.html file with the mailto: command and all of the other field (CC: , Subject, Body, etc) I copied the file to my device, then clicked on it. It worked pretty slick. But how can I get some sort of shortcut to that file, preferably like on the blackberry button?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Global Posts
    10,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Why not have an app open the webpage?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I am trying to get away from the webpage. It's slow loading the blackberry browser just to get the mailto command, and it requires that the tech have a signal (sometimes they don't). If I can initiate the mailto command offline, at least the email will "store" itself until the techs regain a signal.

Now if I can just figure out how to get a shortcut off the blackberry button menu, I'll be doing good. Then maybe later I can figure out how to get it to attach a coupon to the email as an attachment. I'm not sure if that can even be done with the mailto URL encoding I am currently using.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

So I take it...it's not that easy to add a shortcut to a file on the BB menu button....???

I've seen apps do it (free screen shot) so I guess I thought it was basic.

Global Posts
    10,535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by timtrent View Post
    So I take it...it's not that easy to add a shortcut to a file on the BB menu button....???

I've seen apps do it (free screen shot) so I guess I thought it was basic.
    It might be, but you're posting in the BlackBerry 10 Developers forum, and there's not many Java BB developers in here
    KermEd and timtrent like this.