Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,635 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default My Suggestions to Native Devs when Amazon Store & 10.3 is out

It's sad when 10.3 and Amazon App Store will be available to all this September. When that happens for sure people will open Amazon App Store more than BlackBerry World. And our revenues for sure will go down or maybe go down to Zero.

So what I can suggest to keep our native apps keep on kicking, we make Mini/Lite (Free) Android Apps of our Native Apps and publish it to the amazon app store, then from the app we should encourage users to get the native version in BlackBerry World instead.

I will do this for my native apps. If you any more suggestion or even better than this please feel free to share It here. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by 5:
    howarmat (06-21-2014),  jsanders (06-21-2014),  menshawy (06-21-2014),  mithrazor (06-22-2014),  SubCamp (06-21-2014) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by NemOry View Post
    It's sad when 10.3 and Amazon App Store will be available to all this September. When that happens for sure people will open Amazon App Store more than BlackBerry World. And our revenues for sure will go down or maybe go down to Zero.

So what I can suggest to keep our native apps keep on kicking, we make Mini/Lite (Free) Android Apps of our Native Apps and publish it to the amazon app store, then from the app we should encourage users to get the native version in BlackBerry World instead.

I will do this for my native apps. If you any more suggestion or even better than this please feel free to share It here. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    People are still going to download native apps especially from guys like you man who make awesome native apps. Dont worry bro!

Honestly people are going to use the amazon app store like people who have sideloaded it right now have....as a app gap filler for when BBW doesn't have what they need. dont worry.....look at all the reviews on ported apps....people love native developers, and they pay for native developers.

Posted via CB10
    ESCON, kbz1960, QtHelex and 2 others like this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    PIN
    2acfd9d3

Nice move I will not think twice to support the native app developers

I wish also if BlackBerry will do a major reshaping of the app world in a way that they will remove all the nonsense apps like app for xx or info for xx, android ports etc.. then a new dedicated section for ALL built for BlackBerry apps

Posted via CB10
    KKruglov likes this.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2B5A0B9E

@NemOry I think it is somewhat cumbersome. Keeping 2 versions of your apps and maintaining them. I think as discussed yesterday that we should apply pressure and maybe even start a petition to BlackBerry to continue and support native apps on BBW.

It should be left up to the developers and consumers to decide which apps they want to use. I know from a consumer point of view that i'll always prefer native BB10 apps over Android ports.

They should stop accepting Android apps on BBW and refer them to the Amazon store. But not abandon native consumer apps on BBW and continue to promote them.
    Why otherwise would a consumer buy a BlackBerry device when they can simply go Android and enjoy better running apps (not through a runtime) as well as support for Google services.

The direction BlackBerry is taking is in fact pushing consumers aside while redefining BlackBerry as a business device only!! That's not what I would expect from them. They should indeed focus on enterprise where they have strength but keep supporting the consumers.

I know many agreed with me on that yesterday. We should just communicate our desire to BlackBerry. The same way as our famous community does when it is pushed against the wall.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 7230, 8320, 9500, 9520, 9800, 9860, Z10 (STL100-2), Z30 & PlayBook!!!
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2B83DA0E

^ This! +100000

I wantz more BlackBerry goodness!
    ------------------------------
    I love frying eggs on my Z10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,635 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I agree BlackBerry world should atleast prompt devz to publish android apps in amazon app store.

About maintaining. Actually no need to maintain, we can just make a very simple app just like a page, then showing the native app features, and a link to download the native app in bbw

The only downside here is the user will review the native app instead of the android app. We need to market the android app even though it just acts as a launcher to the bbw version. And maybe aks users to review in amazon too

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,635 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks to all supporting Native Devs!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    bspence87 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

I'm note quite satisfied with what BB did there. It's great that they decided not to implement another Android store inside BB World and the so called "app-gap" will probably won't be a problem anymore.
    But still… it sounds like native devs are not as important to them as they once were – only if they develop native enterprise apps…

Since 10.2.1 it feels more like BB 10 is going to become a fully-fledged Android device (even though 10.3 will upgrade native APIs)
    Creator of tvTrakr (trakt.tv client), BBCaching (Geocaching app) and Grouper (Hub-integrated GroupMe client) for BB10
    Follow: @alopix | alopix.net | bbmc:C0047B612

If you want a dev to be a #BBElite, ask them about their contact details and nominate them
    vvvhhh8 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2B5A0B9E

If you think a simple app version on Amazon will suffice, I'm with you on that. Just want to save the effort of creating an additional Android app.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 7230, 8320, 9500, 9520, 9800, 9860, Z10 (STL100-2), Z30 & PlayBook!!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts

First bad move since Chen took over. If I was to port apps to Android that I've written why would I bother to come back at all? Cascades is a great toolset and android apps are inferior. All the time I've spent skilling up appears to be wasted effort. Really really the quickest jump off a cliff ever. Makes me wonder why I don't do what a few other Devs have suggested and pull all my apps now just to send a message by hitting their revenue now. They don't need us in 3 months, so they don't need us now either. Madness.

Posted via CB10
    jem9777 and unbreakablej like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

BlackBerry needs consumers. Consumers want apps. Once BlackBerry gets the numbers it need to make them in a position of comfort again then they can remove the android port and rebuild BlackBerry world. But for now, they need the android market.

BBQ10
    Work Wider.
    Banco likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Don't do this.

I guess keep it more active on forums for apps you plan to make and also through be beta zone.

We all will push them as far as we can. And instead of devoting time to have another version of Android on amazon spend that time making more natives.

Also if would make more sense to have in app purchase driven or ad based ads to let people try it instead of paying upfront.

And you should take snap2chat as a base for measuring success and downloads. It shouldn't be going down too much even if amazon store comes.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

What if the consumer isn't a BlackBerry user? The Amazon Store isn't only for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    BB pin: 2B10A2AE
    Thanked by:
    blackmoe (06-21-2014) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Another point is if BlackBerry makes the amazon store app as native. We have scope for showing if for any app there is a native app or not.

And if it's plain amazon store android version then it's difficult to use it for that purpose.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Don't you think Amazon won't like such apps?
    Imho their store will be for games and gimmick apps, for productive and actual useful apps BlackBerry World will always be the way to go.

I'll support native, always!

Posted via CB10
    hurry up, we're dreaming!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts

Native apps will still be on BlackBerry world. They just won't have any promotional info regarding anything except Enterprise apps. Which means consumers will visit the amazon store first and very likely last. Any native app we sell will see its sales fall is the most likely outcome. Refocusing on Enterprise does not hhave to be the same as screwing over the devs and the consumer except in bb's book

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

I definitely think the best way this should have been done is creating a Unified app store with a BlackBerry side and Android / Amazon side. Therefore Consumers only have to look in one place to get the apps they want which wouldn't reduce visibility of native apps but also gives consumers the same scope for android apps. I think BlackBerry should really consider this.
    jope28 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

With the exception of games, which usually take control over the entire screen space, I have not yet experienced an Android port (or sideloaded app) that I really liked. I will always prefer native apps, even if they cost money. It's the only real BB10 experience, in terms of app performance and UI design, that makes sense for me.
    I hope that no BB10 developers will abandon the platform now, but I'm concerned. Maybe I still don't fully understand this move towards Amazon in detail?
    A BB future with new great devices (Passport, Classic, etc.) but apps that are not fully integrated - I don't like this idea.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by NemOry View Post
    It's sad when 10.3 and Amazon App Store will be available to all this September. And our revenues for sure will go down or maybe go down to Zero.
    Posted via CB10
    How is 10.3 and Amazon App store available is sad? So native devs, you don't want competition? Do you always want BBWorld to lag behind PlayStore and Appstore so you can sell your apps? Btw Nemory, I respect you so much for your contribution to BBWorld with high quality apps. Thank you.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2B5A0B9E

Quote Originally Posted by arvind1983 View Post
    How is 10.3 and Amazon App store available is sad? So native devs, you don't want competition? Do you always want BBWorld to lag behind PlayStore and Appstore so you can sell your apps? Btw Nemory, I respect you so much for your contribution to BBWorld with high quality apps. Thank you.
    The issue is that BlackBerry wants BBW to be dedicated to enterprise apps only!! Whatever is already on BBW will remain there but won't be featured / promoted. New consumer apps should be Android only and will be placed in the Amazon store. That's the deal in a nut shell.
    This means that for cobsumers...come v10.3...no more native apps....just Android ports.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts

Exactly. The value-add kick in the teeth was not needed. Sadly I've been a Chen fan before this insanity. Now in the long standing tradition of the Playbook EOL, another shafting from team BlackBerry.

It would not have been hard to do it how you describe. Cascades is vastly superior to android apps on BlackBerry 10. If BlackBerry think I will retool to android, what makes them think we won't put it to the wider audience i.e. google play store and droids? Very very short sighted.

Oh and this has nothing to do with competition btw. You get better apps native. Plain and simple. To the other poster who remarked on that, your way off base I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemzy View Post
    I definitely think the best way this should have been done is creating a Unified app store with a BlackBerry side and Android / Amazon side. Therefore Consumers only have to look in one place to get the apps they want which wouldn't reduce visibility of native apps but also gives consumers the same scope for android apps. I think BlackBerry should really consider this.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

To me it looks like bb10 dev is a dead end. Period. The idea of business only native app store, and Android leisure apps in amazon is going nowhere but is a sign of forthcoming closure of the BlackBerry app store.

The only thing that BlackBerry could do as a courtesy to their developers is to port the cascades api to android, and provide with qml conversion tools. Same would apply to bbos 6-7 app developers.

Then developers could benefit from potential easier api that accelerate the development to the android reach while this would promote the blackberry ui to the android user even more than BBM alone.

But I doubt they will invest much in tool development.

My recommendation to developers would then be focus on stock android and forget BlackBerry and even amazon android flavor. Rather put effort in Fortumo like solutions and multiple ad providers unless you intend subcontracting for government app and have strong connection.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    2B2790D7 Z30

I have to admit, a part of me really doesn't understand the problem with all this. I as a consumer have been expected to stay loyal to BlackBerry for years, for the financial gain of the developers, which I have greatfully done, not only because I loved the phone, but loved the native apps.We're at the point now where I expect the very same loyalty out of the developers.

Currently we have a bunch of developers telling me what I'm going to do once the Amazon App store is intigrated into BB 10.3 without knowing anything other than what was said in one article. The article by the way simply said the FOCUS will be on enterprise apps, other native BB apps will still be there, just not FOCUSED on and the user will have to search for them, which I will certainly do for those thtat remain loyal to BB and BBW.

It's sad that from one article developers are already writing off the BB consumer as somebody who will not take the time to support native develpers once the Amazon App store is open in 10.3. For years I've watched friends jump ship from BB onto other platforms because of the lack of apps. Now a solution has come to reduce or eliminate the "app gap" and native developers are ready to jump ship, just as those that we chastised all this time have done.

MY suggestion for Native Devs when Amazon Store & 10.3 is out, is that they continue to do the amazing work they always have, give the consumer some credit that with that amazing work, will come amazing consumers who will take the time to find the native BB apps they need or want and continue to support BB as we always have. Man there has only been one article and that article has only given one side of the story so far! Maybe do some homework and see what info you can get from BB on this. Maybe, just maybe the quote in the article was taken out of contect, but maybe not, we all know every article that has ever been writter about BB has been perfectly balanced and accurate! (sarcasm OFF)
    Thanked by:
    Clanked (06-21-2014) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by arvind1983 View Post
    Couldn't have made a better statement myself. Let's be sincere to ourselves, most native apps aren't as feature rich as the android versions eg CB10, Facebook, Twitter and mind you, FB for BB10 and twitter were built in-house by blackberry Dev team. Personally, I think competition is welcome and my only regret is the unavailability of push notifications and hub integration for android apps (yet).

Much respect to Nemory, Gasp, knob etc. Looking forward to seeing more of your apps.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.0.442:296"the iPhone Nemesis"
    Z10 STL 100-1: the iPhone killer
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2B5A0B9E

Mike....the devs had a webcast yesterday held by BlackBerry and this is what was told. it's in no way based on an article or something similar. You should understand it is based on a concerned info. that came directly from BB

Posted via CB10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast