Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Looking for an app developer, paying $$$

Hi.

Looking for someone to build me a notepad type application. I don't really want to go into more specifics such as features but we can discuss this privately via Private Message. My budget is $300 but negotiable. I'd want the developer to use the Cascades UI for the application, preferably with gestures, and to be BBM connected. Deadline is a month and payment will be via PayPal. I don't imagine this will be a difficult task for a developer and I have my own reasons for wanting this type of application. One catch though, I will retain all rights, copyright and submitting to BlackBerry World, to the application and it will be deployed to be used at my university for our club.

If anyone's interested, let me know

Global Posts
    10,432 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

You might be a hard time getting all that fo$300...

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry Master

$300 good luck. Especially holding all the rights. Try India for that price.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

You might want to take a look at this topic; http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-10-app-developers-f276/blackberry-10-developer-needed-easy-job-760320/

Devs quickly feel underpaid. $300 might is a fair price for the app you're looking for. Please describe the app a bit more
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

$300 is not unreasonable for a somewhat simple application. My consultant advised me $80 is the target price but I'm not willing to go that low. I'm not asking you to take time out from your day job, this project would suit someone who devs as a hobby. I think it's ridiculous to say such am application would cost more than $300, it's not exactly feature rich or a complex app.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

Tell us your requirements.

Global Posts
    10,432 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

How many hours do you estimate for this somewhat simple app?
    If it takes 15 hours of dev time (probably a low estimate if we're talking Cascades, BBM integration, graphics, etc) you're only offering $20/hour.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I agree it sounds like a simple app...HOWEVER, anyone who knows Cascades UI took the time and effort to learn it. You're not just paying for an application, you're paying for a certain skill set. And the reason you're on here and not elance or something is because this particular skill set it pretty limited - 70 000 apps and half of those are Android ports aka Cascades developers are in demand.

And on a side note, I also code in C# and honestly you can't get a notepad app done with no requirements for $300 either.

Sorry.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

I am currently writing a BlackBerry 10 app for someone at a rate of $300 per hour. So I think you need to adjust your expectations.

I would consider either a) going on odesk or freelancer to see who bites. You'll likely run into quality issues at that rate. Or b) do it yourself.

Consider the BBPy Project at BlackBerry-Py Project. Let's you write native Cascades apps in Python. Python gives you tons of flexibility, and is easy to use and learn. The cost is a very minor performance hit. I write all of my apps using it, switching to C++ if/when needed.

You could learn a lot by doing this yourself. You'll also see how a simple app can quickly take up a lot of time. But try it, I think you'll be able to do it yourself fairly easily. You can find the project on twitter if you need help.
    Founder of taab and Pulsecode Inc.
    twitter: @taab_co, @xitijpatel

Ill send you a PM

Sent from my BlackBerry Veedu using Tapatalk 3