Just a query
Just a very general query, I just wondered how difficult it is to write the same app for the different OS's IOS,Android,Blackberry and Windows phone?i understand each app would vary but just wondered if there different OS's mean you have to re-write the whole app in a different language or just parts?
- 02-09-13, 09:45 AM #2
If you start off writing the app for one specific platform, it will be harder to port it to other platforms.
If you design and build your app from the ground up with multiple platforms in mind, it will be much easier to port.
If you use a pre-built framework like Unity, it is extremely easy to port your app to any platform that they support.
- CrackBerry Abuser
02-10-13, 01:16 AM #5
- 179 Posts
There is a downside to designing an app from the ground up for easy porting... it often precludes use of some of the most interesting features of a specific platform, and an app designed this way is unlikely to closely follow UI "flow" standards for each platform. An iPhone app "looks" and "works" like an iPhone app, and a good one allows an experienced iPhone user to navigate it almost effortlessly. That same app ported unchanged to BB10, for instance, will not really feel like a BB10 app, and if it is changed for the Blackberry flow, then an experienced iPhone user of the app may find the BB version difficult to use.
Basically it is all about tradeoffs... only the very simplest of apps can be ported without significant modification to tailor the user experience for the platform, and the only alternative is to strip the app interface of all the things that make each platform unique (and worthy of fandom.)
- By VIDGMER in forum Rehab & Off-Topic LoungeReplies: 95Last Post: 06-03-08, 06:48 AM
- By MMB916 in forum General BlackBerry DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 05-02-07, 07:07 AM
- By porch in forum IntroductionsReplies: 6Last Post: 03-15-07, 09:57 AM
- By Cellularamps in forum IntroductionsReplies: 4Last Post: 03-14-07, 09:52 AM
- By blackberrythemecentral in forum IntroductionsReplies: 17Last Post: 03-13-07, 12:43 AM