Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,245 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Just a query

Just a very general query, I just wondered how difficult it is to write the same app for the different OS's IOS,Android,Blackberry and Windows phone?i understand each app would vary but just wondered if there different OS's mean you have to re-write the whole app in a different language or just parts?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,953 Global Posts

If you start off writing the app for one specific platform, it will be harder to port it to other platforms.
    If you design and build your app from the ground up with multiple platforms in mind, it will be much easier to port.

If you use a pre-built framework like Unity, it is extremely easy to port your app to any platform that they support.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,245 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    If you start off writing the app for one specific platform, it will be harder to port it to other platforms.
    If you design and build your app from the ground up with multiple platforms in mind, it will be much easier to port.

If you use a pre-built framework like Unity, it is extremely easy to port your app to any platform that they support.
    Thanks, I just wondered why some apps takes ages to go to different OS's when it would make more financial sense to put it on as many phones as possible if you could
    Mod Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    10,167 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often

Quote Originally Posted by bobo616 View Post
    Thanks, I just wondered why some apps takes ages to go to different OS's when it would make more financial sense to put it on as many phones as possible if you could

You have to balance development costs vs how much you can reasonably expect to make on the platform.
    ~S_A
    All views and opinions here are my own, and do not represent any views, opinions, or official communications either actual or implied of my employer.
    CrackBerry Abuser

There is a downside to designing an app from the ground up for easy porting... it often precludes use of some of the most interesting features of a specific platform, and an app designed this way is unlikely to closely follow UI "flow" standards for each platform. An iPhone app "looks" and "works" like an iPhone app, and a good one allows an experienced iPhone user to navigate it almost effortlessly. That same app ported unchanged to BB10, for instance, will not really feel like a BB10 app, and if it is changed for the Blackberry flow, then an experienced iPhone user of the app may find the BB version difficult to use.

Basically it is all about tradeoffs... only the very simplest of apps can be ported without significant modification to tailor the user experience for the platform, and the only alternative is to strip the app interface of all the things that make each platform unique (and worthy of fandom.)