Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By thrrgilag
  • 1 Post By jeroen_13
  • 1 Post By big bb
  • 1 Post By KermEd
  • 1 Post By kdna
  • 1 Post By edyb
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOOOOURRNNNSSS
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How do i make an app?

well i read the blog yesterday where they had a 13yr old app developer, and it got me thinking how can i get into making apps? i know about the app generator but id like to learn the steps into making apps for bb and android. ive researched it on google before but had trouble finding info on it. i was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction or post a how to
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Where you start I think depends on what previous exposure you've had to programming if any. If nothing else HTML5 is a good place to start, and BlackBerry has gotten particularly good at it recently. Cascades is also great (what I code in lately) but you need to be comfortable with C++ and Qt to take full advantage of it.

You can find good documentation for each of the supported development platforms at developer.blackberry.com. The getting started documentation will take you through the steps of getting the tools installed and even walk you through the creating the typical "Hello World" walk through. Where you go from there depends on what kind of app you want to create. The BlackBerry devblog and development forums are also a great resource for when you run into questions and seeking answers. The BlackBerry github has a ton of useful examples and community contributed code that you can leverage. Hope this helps.
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

HTML5 is the best language to start developing apps. Just google for: BBUI.js for some examples.

BBUI.js is a Javascript engine that makes building apps way more easy ! With just a few lines of codes you have a complete app!

Jeroen
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

I would not go by that 13 year old. I have looked at most of the apps and they are done by app generator.

HTML5 with BBUI.js would be the best place for you to start
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!
    Thanked by:
    kdna (12-17-2012) 
    pkcable likes this.

This'll help
    http://www.filearchivehaven.com/2012...-applications/

Its straight from a presentation I put on a few months back.

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

BlackBerry® 10 Cascades
    http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades
    Cascades Code - Learn BlackBerry® 10™ Native Development

You can always PM me. I'm more than happy to help get you started. I am very familiar with the tooling and the WebWorks and Native (Cascades) SDKS.

good luck to you!
    Purchase these awesome apps for Z10 (BB10-device): Tokyo Graffiti, Utilities: Mobile Network | Developer ModeBluetooth | Mobile Hotspot | NFC | Learn Essential Japanese Verbs | Ultimate Powerball BlackBoard Lite Coming SOON!: Mega Millions 10, 5 Slides, Markdown Man, Movie Title Creator, Pixel Censor, Black Censor
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

HTML5/Javascript/CSS is the easiest way to go using Webworks. You can make your app almost entirely with web-design software but hand-coding in a text editor will come in handy. Using bbUI.js or jQuery will make it look way better on the user interface side.

However, web-based apps are better for certain uses like books, newsreaders, interactive catalogues, clocks, guides and tutorials, reference manuals, etc. Yes you can also do games but they will be a bit slow and limited.

If you want to go "hard-core" then you can pick up Marmalade SDK and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express, both free. Marmalade gives a free trial but I think if you submit an app they give you a license. Then follow some excellent tutorials from drmop.com... Modify their code and work on that as a base to develop your game.

I wouldn't suggest Marmalade as a beginner though, it has a fairly tough learning curve, but once you know what you are doing, you can make some slick games (I'm sticking to 2D games for now).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    pkcable likes this.
    CrackBerry User

BBUI.js is no doubt the best platform and engine to use to build apps for black berry, Start developing apps after watching tuts available on you tube.
    CrackBerry User

What is app generator?

Quote Originally Posted by big bb View Post
    I would not go by that 13 year old. I have looked at most of the apps and they are done by app generator.

HTML5 with BBUI.js would be the best place for you to start
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BB_Bree View Post
    What is app generator?
    Let Me Google That For You

Please, do not submit an app through that. Ever. I can't believe that I've actually seen apps generated through this on BlackBerry World and they charge money for them.

Learn HTML/CSS/Javascript, learn to parse an XML RSS feed, style it up with some jQ mobile/Sencha/Enyo. Take pride in your development, don't just crank out apps because it is easy through some generator.
    Sent from the future in my BB10 powered DeLorean
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by neilmann View Post
    Let Me Google That For You

Please, do not submit an app through that. Ever. I can't believe that I've actually seen apps generated through this on BlackBerry World and they charge money for them.

Learn HTML/CSS/Javascript, learn to parse an XML RSS feed, style it up with some jQ mobile/Sencha/Enyo. Take pride in your development, don't just crank out apps because it is easy through some generator.
    No worries, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to package once I finish an app.

Thanks for googling!