Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By SCrid2000
  • 1 Post By neilmann
  • 1 Post By big bb
  1. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Free PC tool: SKBR (Signing Key Backup/Restore)

    One of the first things you should do after you submit your first BB10 or PlayBook app to App World is backup your signing keys.
    Why?
    Because if your computer crashes, or gets stolen, etc. etc., and you lose your signing keys, you can't ever submit an update to any apps you signed with those signing keys. Ever.
    RIM doesn't back up your signing keys.

    That's not a big deal if you only have free apps; you can just resubmit them.
    But if you have a paid app and someone finds a bug, you can't fix it (at least not without requiring everyone to buy your app again).

    There's great instructions for backing up your signing keys at http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...ys/ta-p/837925, if you want to do it manually.
    If you want an automated tool to do it for you (AND you have Windows Vista or newer), you can download SKBR and let it do the work.
    Free PC tool: SKBR (Signing Key Backup/Restore)-skbr-ss.png

    You can download SKBR for free from http://scrapps.org/blackberry/skbr/.

    If you find SKBR useful, you can buy me a mountain dew here.

    Update: In v1.1, SKBR will add/extract your Signing Keys to a .zip file for easier transport.
    Update: In v1.2, SKBR automatically zips and unzips your signing keys and saves them either to the SKBR folder or directly to Dropbox if you have Dropbox installed.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 12-31-2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Thanked by 3:
    jerryeight (01-15-2013),  neilmann (12-23-2012),  tryfe (01-03-2013) 
    Thunderbuck, tryfe and jerryeight like this.
  2. neilmann's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Great work!

    You can also backup/restore your keys with the QNX Momentics IDE if you are using the NDK. I couldn't find any documentation on how to backup this way, but its pretty straight forward.

    Free PC tool: SKBR (Signing Key Backup/Restore)-qnx_key_backup.jpg
    Sent from the future in my BB10 powered DeLorean
    Thanked by:
    SCrid2000 (12-23-2012) 
    SCrid2000 likes this.
  3. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilmann View Post
    Great work!

    You can also backup/restore your keys with the QNX Momentics IDE if you are using the NDK. I couldn't find any documentation on how to backup this way, but its pretty straight forward.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qnx_key_backup.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	129334
    That's pretty cool, I didn't know that; I mostly do webworks, and it doesn't have anything like that
    That'd probably be better than what I made; although I did what I could to compensate for a renamed .p12 file, the SDK would have anything like that already included.
    Where does the native tool back them up to?
  4. neilmann's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Where does the native tool back them up to?
    It prompts you for a location to back it up to then it puts the files into a .zip. Also, make sure you make 15 copies of the backup. I dropped my backup into my Dropbox so it is available on any computer I need to use and so I don't lose it.
    Sent from the future in my BB10 powered DeLorean
  5. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neilmann View Post
    It prompts you for a location to back it up to then it puts the files into a .zip. Also, make sure you make 15 copies of the backup. I dropped my backup into my Dropbox so it is available on any computer I need to use and so I don't lose it.
    Dropbox is definitely the way to go; I keep all my apps in there too.
    I should make this upload the keys to dropbox if possible.

    edit - I suppose I could include a db installer in case someone doesn't have dropbox and just move the keys to the dropbox folder; not very eloquent a solution, but a workable one.
  6. jeroen_13's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,730 Posts
    PIN
    Just PM
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    That's pretty cool, I didn't know that; I mostly do webworks, and it doesn't have anything like that
    That'd probably be better than what I made; although I did what I could to compensate for a renamed .p12 file, the SDK would have anything like that already included.
    Where does the native tool back them up to?
    Your program works better for Webworks Developers (Like me)
    Just made a backup !

    Edit; Link is dead !!!!!!! not anymore
    Last edited by jeroen_13; 12-24-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    ❤ button

    ✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
  7. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Just uploaded v1.2, which has Dropbox support.
    Index of /blackberry/skbr/
    Thanked by:
    jerryeight (01-15-2013) 
  8. DisturbedRocks31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    552 Posts
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Can't you just get the keys again from the email they sent us?
  9. big bb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    394 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedRocks31 View Post
    Can't you just get the keys again from the email they sent us?
    You can but once they are registered they can not be registered again. That is why you have to back them up and use the restore instead of trying to re-register
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!
    Thunderbuck likes this.
  10. DisturbedRocks31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    552 Posts
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big bb View Post
    You can but once they are registered they can not be registered again. That is why you have to back them up and use the restore instead of trying to re-register
    What happens if I get a new computer or something? I just go to the restore and restore using the backed up keys?
  11. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedRocks31 View Post
    What happens if I get a new computer or something? I just go to the restore and restore using the backed up keys?
    Just run the restore feature on SKBR; you'll only need to do it once, and can do it on as many Windows PCs as you like.
    Thanked by:
    DisturbedRocks31 (01-05-2013) 
  12. jeroen_13's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,730 Posts
    PIN
    Just PM
    #12  

    Default

    I used this tool when i updated my HP laptop from windows-xp to windows 7. Everything works fine on windows 7 (from a developer aspect) but i cant use the Blackberry Graphical AID anymore for signing apps. It gives me the 'inval argument for commandline' error, eventhough cmd-signing the app still works.
    ❤ button

    ✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
  13. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeroen_13 View Post
    I used this tool when i updated my HP laptop from windows-xp to windows 7. Everything works fine on windows 7 (from a developer aspect) but i cant use the Blackberry Graphical AID anymore for signing apps. It gives me the 'inval argument for commandline' error, eventhough cmd-signing the app still works.
    Probably a path problem or something.
    I only use the command line for everything, so I can't really help with the graphical tool (don't even use Tim W.'s awesome ANT signing thingy).
  14. jeroen_13's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,730 Posts
    PIN
    Just PM
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SCrid2000 View Post
    Probably a path problem or something.
    I only use the command line for everything, so I can't really help with the graphical tool (don't even use Tim W.'s awesome ANT signing thingy).
    The path is ok, but webworks packaging + signing doesnt work. Just package a webworks app works, and also convert+sign android apps.

    But command signing is just way more fun
    ❤ button

    ✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
  15. SCrid2000's Avatar

    Posts
    10,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,387 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default

    Uh, you said you backed up from XP?
    SKBR doesn't backup from XP, that requires a different path.
    You might need to manually backup your signing keys.
  16. jeroen_13's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,730 Posts
    PIN
    Just PM
    #16  

    Default

    I used a custom path for my signing keys on XP (just on C:/)
    Upgraded to Win7 64bit, just had all the developement sdk's set up + signing keys when i was forced to downgrade to 32bit. (PC started to lagg a lot.) Thats where i used your tool !
    ❤ button

    ✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣

Similar Threads

  1. Certicom API Signing Key...its free?
    By jeff.parent in forum Developers Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
  2. Backup/Restore & Then Sync Problem
    By RyGrant in forum BlackBerry Pearl 81xx
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 02:36 PM
  3. Questions regarding sync and backup/restore!
    By HeavyComponent in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM
  4. Backup/Restore Question
    By stevevader in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
  5. Backup/Restore--Where Did Browser Go?
    By Pseudo-Fed in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 03:35 AM

Posting Permissions