Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikeo007
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Cascades Rich Ui

Are there any sources out there that show how to produce something similar to this list containing images is cascades!?

I was impressed when RIM showed this off but haven't seen any implementations of it yet
    Developer - ToySoft

RIM always show neat stuff on the conferences and never really release anything to the public or include in any actual products. the only app they have released is the scrapbook app for the PB.
    BB10 Native Developer. Web www.toysoft.ca BBM Channel bbm:///C00445C5A
    Follow us @ http://twitter.com/toysoft or BlackBerry World
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Its a shame, would've liked to implement this feature
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is certainly possible to do using Cascades with a ListView and Animations. However from what I've read about other "older" demos like this one, they wrote them in an older/no longer supported version of Cascades so even if they released the code it wouldn't make sense to anyone. Like I said it could be reproduced. So either they have and they aren't sharing the code or somebody has and they aren't either.

@Bloodline: What do you mean, you'd like to implement this feature? It is a very custom ListView... implement away.
    My BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles | camZOO

Oh ya... And I write for some website called "CrackBerry"... check out my posts here
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,962 Global Posts

This could be done pretty easily using plain OpenGL as well, but hopefully Cascades will make it even simpler.
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    This could be done pretty easily using plain OpenGL as well, but hopefully Cascades will make it even simpler.
    Is there any code anywhere that can be used?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by bcs925 View Post
    This is certainly possible to do using Cascades with a ListView and Animations. However from what I've read about other "older" demos like this one, they wrote them in an older/no longer supported version of Cascades so even if they released the code it wouldn't make sense to anyone. Like I said it could be reproduced. So either they have and they aren't sharing the code or somebody has and they aren't either.

@Bloodline: What do you mean, you'd like to implement this feature? It is a very custom ListView... implement away.
    If I could i wouldve by now I need some sort of examples to follow
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodline View Post
    If I could i wouldve by now I need some sort of examples to follow
    Let me preface this with I'm not 100% sure this will work but its the route I would take to try...

The thing with that is, nobody (other than RIM) is going to make it and give it away. I give away samples but not that complex. If you want a series of examples take a look at:

1. ListView: Stamp Collector or Bucketlist, official RIM samples
    2. ListView w/ custom elements: Couldn't Stump Me... Redux (in my blog, link in sig)
    3. Animation: Cookbook, official RIM sample

Then find out how to make calls from the file system, I can't help you with that one because you need a Dev Alpha (which I don't have). I think there are samples out there about this too.

If all goes well... Tie it all together and you should have it. And in all seriousness it shouldn't take too long... couple weeks? a month? Would probably make a killing on app world selling it.
    My BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles | camZOO

Oh ya... And I write for some website called "CrackBerry"... check out my posts here
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Quote Originally Posted by bcs925 View Post
    Let me preface this with I'm not 100% sure this will work but its the route I would take to try...

The thing with that is, nobody (other than RIM) is going to make it and give it away. I give away samples but not that complex. If you want a series of examples take a look at:

1. ListView: Stamp Collector or Bucketlist, official RIM samples
    2. ListView w/ custom elements: Couldn't Stump Me... Redux (in my blog, link in sig)
    3. Animation: Cookbook, official RIM sample

Then find out how to make calls from the file system, I can't help you with that one because you need a Dev Alpha (which I don't have). I think there are samples out there about this too.

If all goes well... Tie it all together and you should have it. And in all seriousness it shouldn't take too long... couple weeks? a month? Would probably make a killing on app world selling it.
    I wish it was that simple, this is much more than that, it includes 3d effects and shadows as well as just a ListView and animations provided in cascades
    CrackBerry Genius

I really want to know what RIM do with these samples if its not being sold off to some website at least put it in bb world and make cash off it.

Sell this as an imageviewer skin mode.People change backround displays all the time why not UI effects for apps??
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

I'm pretty sure that although that was probably done with some of TAT's magic high-level stuff, ultimately it's really just a bunch of OpenGL. Now, one could say "so is Cascades", and that would be somewhat true, but my point is that we have no classes built into Cascades right now that come close to doing that (no, a ListView just doesn't cut it, IMHO). On the other hand, those sorts of effects are exactly what OpenGL is good at and, in the hands of a dev with the required skills, it actually seems to make that sort of thing relatively simple.

Until a "canned" package is available to you in Cascades, and I doubt that will be any time soon, you can either wait, or tuck into some 3D stuff using OpenGL. Your choices include ES 1.1, which is in some ways simpler and certainly has more support material available on the web, or ES 2.0 which is ultimately more powerful and faster, but rather more "raw" in some ways.
    Last edited by peter9477; 12-01-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: fix typo
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.