Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry 10 Developer Needed - Easy Job

We are searching for a top-notch programmer who knows to develop apps for the Blackberry environment and specifically for the Blackberry 10.

** You will develop a small app from start to finish.
    ** The app will make use of the phone's native functions (camera, flash, etc...)
    ** All graphics will be provided to you.
    ** The app should be backwards compatible with Blackberry 7 and Playbook OS.

The entire app is extremely basic, has only about 5 screens and should be completed within a week. If you are interested in applying for this position please answer the following questions:

1. What is your preferred programming language for the Blackberry 10?

2. Do you own or can you get your hands on a prototype of the Blackberry 10 (Dev Alpha A / B / C)? What Blackberry devices do you own for testing purposes?

2. You will need to integrate the facebook and twitter SDK’s into the project. Please send us a link to a project you have completed which makes use of the facebook and twitter SDK’s.

3. You will need to integrate the following functions into the app:
    ** an advertising service
    ** analytics package
    ** push notification package
    ** in-app payment system (to remove ads on the free version)

Please explain what specific services you will recommend to integrate into this Blackberry 10 app.
    4. The project will need to have 2 targets. A FREE target and a PRO target so that we can build 2 versions of the app from the same project. Have you done this before? How can this be achieved?

5. Please provide a link to your best app which you developed for the blackberry phone.

Lastly, we will need your help to guide us through the process for developing an app for blackberry 10. We have experience with iOS apps however we will need your guidance on this project.

Only serious candidates should apply who can complete the project within 7 days and answer the questions above.

TO APPLY: Email david AT makeappmag DOT com with your response.

BUDGET: $200 (Negotiable)
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidmagmedia View Post
    We are searching for a top-notch programmer
    "Top-notch programmers" and that number are contradictory items.

What's your estimate for how many hours of work this should be? Feel free to round it off to the nearest 100 hours...
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    tabish4u likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,207 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wooden Shoe Like to Know;)

Wait a second, don't overreact to the $200 offer that was clearly marked as negotiable, maybe it is a fart app

(Sorry to troll guys, but it made me laugh inside)
    Nothing is so common as is the goal to be remarkable
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by davidmagmedia View Post
    This is not a JOKES forum
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,050 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by berriac View Post
    This is not a JOKES forum
    Exactly, the op is obviously serious, people need to calm down...
    Sent from my Z30, Z10, or a soon to be BB10 PlayBook

-BlackBerry Curve 8530 (Virgin Mobile) -BlackBerry Bold 9900 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry PlayBook 64 gig -BlackBerry Z10 (T-Mobile) -BlackBerry Z30 WHITE (Unlocked)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

Maybe budget isn't the same as pay rate???? I'm sure the OP will be willing to clear this up. . .

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toodeurep View Post
    Wait a second, don't overreact to the $200 offer that was clearly marked as negotiable, maybe it is a fart app
    Oh, a fart app. That probably explains why it needs "push notification"...
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Toodeurep likes this.

Global Posts
    7,234 Global Posts

Default Re: Blackberry 10 Developer Needed - Easy Job

So I'm guessing you only expect the app to take two hours to code tops with that budget.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Cut the OP some slack, he probably just has no idea what app development costs. While the app may be simple, doing all the items mentioned would be time consuming (social, backcom, etc). If the project takes ten hours then you would be looking in the 1-2k range.

"Lastly, we will need your help to guide us through the process for developing an app for blackberry 10."

This request alone would eat up the budget. I would recommend going through the materials provided by RIM since cash appears to be more pressing than time for you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Oh David...

MAKE APP Magazine
    Thanked by:
    mister_turtle (01-01-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Perhaps he should make a promo on a BlackBerry PlayBook instead...
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Please post some more info about this needed app...

"The app will make use of the camera / flash etc." And "it should be connected with twitter & facebook"

Look-a-like UberIris/Instaphoto app ?
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

As people have said before, you obviously don't know what you're doing. Plus this forum isn't for hiring programmers. I advise you learn more. Maybe you should learn programming yourself.
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

+1 to everyone's comments.

To add even more comedic observations, I like the backwards compatability part. I'm far from a professional developer, but 200 bucks for the required depth of knowledge in java, html, js, php, cascades, sdks and ndks... Really?

Maybe they mean 200 bucks per hour...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Definitely doesn't sound right. With BB10 being a completely different platform, the only way to make it backward compatible is to make two completely different apps (unless is can be done with Webworks, although it will still require modification).

With everything required, you might find a developer to do that for $2500, but that would be at the low end of the pay scale. Plus, the company would have to supply servers to link push services, ad service ID, and development keys if they want to take over the app after initial development.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Crowezine View Post
    As people have said before, you obviously don't know what you're doing. Plus this forum isn't for hiring programmers. I advise you learn more. Maybe you should learn programming yourself.
    And then make a backward compatible app for someone
    for 200

Sent from the awesome Sony xperia S
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,851 Global Posts

You would have to recreate the application entirely in java, once you are finished with C++.
    Only for $200?
    Check out my app: CChecker
    CrackBerry Abuser

Take it easy,maybe the man doesn't know the app development business :sly:
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

$200 of isn't much for a fully functional app that has to be made...

But I also made an entire (closed)business app for their employees for free.
    Also an RRS Blogspot reader for free. But I haven't submitted it to he appworld. Just for private/customers/users usage only

Edit; please provide some more information about your idea. Maybe some sketches?

Just sketch it here : Balsamiq

My sketch

Last edited by jeroen_13; 01-03-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Even if I was to do a shoddy job, I still would expect way higher than $200. In addition this would be classified as exploitation of labour. Learn the average wage given out to a developer and then come back. Its insulting to a developer to even suggest that so called offer to them.
    Check out my apps on App World!
    BlackBerry Z10
    Nexus 7/4
    Asus Zenbook Prime UX31a
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Jeez. Have you guys never heard of outsourcing offshore?! Sorry if I offended anyone in the US, but there are plenty of great developers happy to work within that budget. [We filled the position BTW]

We had to make some modifications and as Xopher suggested, we are going with purely a BB10 app due to lack of backwards compatibility, waiting on some of the functions for SDK releases after BB10 goes live.

Glad this post entertained some people and for those who actually made relevant comments - Xopher, r0v3rT3N - then thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

I assume the developer who accepted this job would have set the advertising revenues (for Free version) and fees for the Pro pay version to go directly into his/her PayPal account (or arrange some kind of split ratio). That would make sense and then it may be worth $200 to get in on this. Otherwise, a flat $200 fee for all of your work to create an app that someone else will collect all the revenue from.... now that is just exploitation (whether from an outsourcing country or otherwise). The company requesting the app could make back the $200 in a few days/weeks based just on download numbers (even FREE version) from ads.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Last edited by edyb; 01-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.

The more extreme verbal attacks on the OP have been removed and appropriate warnings issued. Kudos to the members who offered positive advice.

The mentality of some of our members brings shame to the forum. There is no reason to attack others simply because they suggest a $rate which you believe is unreasonable. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    Thanked by 2:
    Barljo (01-10-2013),  seluje (01-16-2013) 
    KermEd, r0v3rT3N and 26filip like this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    789 Global Posts

In agreement with the mod, it did get a bit ugly. We still never found out from the OP how truly "easy" this app is to code. Very few details were offered, maybe to avoid having someone make a competing app. Perhaps it was an easy $200 job after all?

Maybe it was an Android port, or something like an RSS reader which could be simply configured differently, or a "blackberryappgenerator" type app that someone already had done and could simply recompile with some different info.

Also, with all the port-a-thon money from RIM, the dev could have snagged another $100 for the app submission, and we still don't know if there was any "residual income" associated with this job down the road... Like payments for future updates, a share of the advertising or fees from app sales, etc.

But on the other hand I feel the frustration of all devs, as we toil in a highly technical field which requires a good education and hard work, that our work can be under-valued. I mean, if you were working jobs like this every week for a year, earning $200 per week (the OP said it should take about a week to code) then your annual salary is about $10,000.

That may be a good salary in India or China. I don't know... Anyone have developer friends over there and know what their wages are?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast