• 1 Post By KermEd
  • 1 Post By SCrid2000
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    27B02269
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Best IDE for Developing?

Hey Guys

Im after some advice as to which is the best IDE for developing BB apps? To date Ive been learning imperative programming using a text editor and terminal to write and compile. Ive just downloaded Netbeans and getting to grips with it and wondered if this is the best IDE to be using?

Thanks in Advance
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

What do you develop in webworks / Cascades / Air?
    It would help to narrow down what ones we feel are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!

Global Posts
    5,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

For Cascades, RIM provides the QNX Momentics IDE for free (it's based on Eclipse). Downloadable at https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/ This is also the environment you'd use for C++ development (and, really, Cascades is just kind of a presentation layer on top of C++). It's actually pretty decent, once you get it going (though initial config can be a bit of a pain).

For WebWorks, any text editor that you'd use for web development will work fine, though one that will validate web code will help. Any web dev environment could work nicely, up to and including stuff like Dreamweaver.

Adobe Air is tricky; you're welcome to write code in plain text and compile it and hope it works. Adobe publishes FlashBuilder, which is NOT Flash, but is based on the same underlying technology, and it's a very good dev environment. It's also Eclipse-based, but heavily customized. Adobe had a program where they were giving away licenses for free, but you really had to dig around for it, and then try to convince them that you were deserving.

In some ways, the hardest part is getting the Simulator running and configuring your dev environment to talk to it...
    kdna likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    27B02269
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Default Re: Best IDE for Developing

Thanks Thunderbuck there's plenty for me to delve into. At the moment I'm mainly working on webworks projects at uni using web expression 4 and dream weaver as well Java projects in net beans. So probably best trying my hand at web works app first. Eclipse seems very complicated to set up and use compared with net beans. Or maybe I'm just to much of newbie to understand it correctly yet

Global Posts
    5,280 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

The setup for the Native/Cascades environment isn't THAT bad; RIM provides a decent installer. They also have tutorials that walk you through configuring the environment and writing your first apps. As long as you follow them TO THE LETTER you'll be able to set up the simulator and get up and running. The actual nuts and bolts of setting Eclipse up is all handled through the installer, fortunately.

As it happens, I also use Expression Web 4 for my WebWorks stuff. Some minor headaches getting it to talk to Ripple (and I haven't actually deployed a WebWorks app yet myself), but it helps to have a good set of tools that you're comfortable with.

Best of luck!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Also with Cascades you can do javascript in QML files
    We're takin' it Back!
    CrackBerry User

Thanx for nice information, i am intrested to build apps, this post helped me a lot
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    27B02269
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

There's more help available here than at my uni. My tutors response when I asked about this was "Why bother RIM is almost dead". How little he knows!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

To greatest mistake a developer can make is to make a judgement against platforms. You need to be versitile and follow the market ...

To be honest

They put a lot of effort into all the IDEs. I find all of them work very well with Ripple being the "strangest" (as its not really an IDE).

Maybe avoid Marmalade.

But they are fairly equal. I haven't struggled much with any of them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

I am one of the lucky ones :-) who signed up for the Marmalade SDK free Playbook offer back in October and got my free Playbook, on the promise that I would release an app made with Marmalade.

So I was thinking what IDE to use since previously all I had made were Webworks apps with a more advanced text editor (one that parses brackets and indents to high-light functions and lets you open/collapse them) and Ripple in Chrome to test.

So as far as IDE, I use MS Visual C++ 2010 Express and it is FREE, with Marmalade 6.1 and then 6.2 (which supports BB10 also). While initially a steep learning curve, I am using tons of examples and those from drmop.com to build on top of. That certainly eased the pain.

Recently, a port-a-thon giving $100 for every Marmalade app released also to BB10 was announced, making the reward a little sweeter. So I am trying to take advantage of both offers by releasing my app for Playbook AND also porting to BB10 using the latest Marmalade.

I had some trouble signing my apps directly in Marmalade because of my machine setup, so I just altered and signed my debug versions manually from the command-line and it seems to be ok.

I know people have a tough time with Marmalade, but there is a big advantage in that you can take your Marmalade app and port to Android and iOS with relative ease as it lets you compile for all of these platforms and more. So if you can past all the frustrations it may be worthwhile.

I am happy that MS Visual C++ 2010 Express works as a great IDE to use and it is free, which was a big surprise! Definitely worth checking out... maybe compatible with Native and Cascades? I am not too familiar with them and whether it works with Ms VC++.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

MS Visual C++ 2010 Express is a great IDE, as I've used the C# version for other projects. For now however, I'm sticking to Cascades since MS VC++ doesn't support QML / UI preview. If that's every done then I'm jumping to MS

There is a plugin for vc++ for native.

I didn't enjoy marmalade. I found it poorly designed and was not impressed with their support and difficulties with the IDE.

It is handy for cross platform, jquery mobile and html5 can do that too.

And of course AS3 / FB is cross platform.

If you can stomach marmalade and spend a serious amount of time investing in it, then certainly go for it.

Another good idea is to (I hate to say it) build Android apps and port them to bb via signing. Its the only IDE that requires next-to-no changes on each RIM OS update. All other languages require multiple recompiles, IDE changeouts, icon management etc.

Many choices

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KermEd View Post
    There is a plugin for vc++ for native.
    The only thing is that the vs plug in is not for Cascades so you don't get the QML preview.
    We're takin' it Back!

Global Posts
    10,380 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Notepad++ (not really an IDE but by far and away THE BEST program for html/css/js).
    KermEd likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Yes, Notepad++ is awesome! I use it for all my Webworks apps, it works beautifully.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Why did I suffer so long before using Windows notepad? I only found out about notepad++ a month ago on Crackberry from you in another thread!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app