Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Am I the only one who can get the BB10 NDK to work on linux?-_-

Could someone be kind and explain me how to get it working? After I install it I do "./bbndk.sh" or "./bbndk-env.sh" but nothing happens, I'm using Fedora17

Thanks in advance

Global Posts
    10,412 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Did you cd to the right location?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default Re: Am I the only one who can get the BB10 NDK to work on linux?-_-

Yes I go to /opt/bbndk and then "sh bbndk.sh" or "sh bbndk-env.sh" and nothing happens-_- I must be doing something wrong, however thanks for replying
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

Must be root for this. cd /opt && ./BlackBerry\ Native\ SDK
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

You shouldn't have to be root if you install in a location (like your home directory) in which you have permission. The bbndk-env.sh just sets environment variables for command line use. Use the bbndk.sh to start the ide if that is all you are looking for.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

I am root when I do that! I do "sh bbndk-env.sh" and then "sh bbndk.sh" and nothing happens
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Do you have any errors?

I recommend perhaps running the install again NOT as root, let it install to somewhere in your home directory. Also make sure you have the proper version of Java installed as well, it's recommended that you use the official Java from Oracle rather than the open source version.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I'll try installing it at home, I think I already have the official Java JDK but I'll check that too, thank you
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

Running 64bit? Last I tried that seemed to be the root problem. I've been meaning to test it by setting up a 32bit vitrual box of the same os as I'm running to make sure, but havent gotten that far.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticGolem View Post
    Running 64bit? Last I tried that seemed to be the root problem. I've been meaning to test it by setting up a 32bit vitrual box of the same os as I'm running to make sure, but havent gotten that far.
    Yep, I forgot to mention it! I haven't managed to get it to work-_-, I just gave up and use windows
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Just give a shout the next time you give it another go. I do most of my development work on Linux and I'm willing to offer up my experiences and to the extent I can. The Linux ide does lack the qml preview mode that is on windows and mac at the moment which other than it being eclipse based is my only complaint. Well that and vmware.
    Thanked by:
    RedxD (12-06-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

Quote Originally Posted by RedxD View Post
    Yep, I forgot to mention it! I haven't managed to get it to work-_-, I just gave up and use windows
    That's exactly what I did. I'll try this weekend ( I hope) and let you know.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

Quote Originally Posted by thrrgilag View Post
    Just give a shout the next time you give it another go. I do most of my development work on Linux and I'm willing to offer up my experiences and to the extent I can. The Linux ide does lack the qml preview mode that is on windows and mac at the moment which other than it being eclipse based is my only complaint. Well that and vmware.
    Good to know. I'll harass you if I have problems.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by thrrgilag View Post
    Thank you! I'll give it another shot when I get my new laptop, I'll pm you if I have any problem
    CrackBerry Abuser

I've had the BB10 NDK (and the PlayBook NDK before that, and the QNX 6.5 SDK before that) working on Linux the whole time. Right now that means Ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop, and Fedora 16 on my desktop. I know both are now technically a version behind, so I'm not sure if the latest releases introduce any strange library incompatibilities. However, I'm not planning on risking it for at least another week or so. Just remember to install all the necessary 32-bit libraries if you're on a 64-bit distro.

Biggest issue I had was with QML preview not working correctly on BB10 NDK beta 1. The solution was to basically force the IDE to use the stock OpenGL libraries from Ubuntu (not the ones from Fedora, or the ones provided by the nVidia drivers). Of course RIM's response to our bug reports on the issue was to just say "screw it, we're just going to disable the feature permanently on Linux" from beta 2 onward.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

Yeah, the last time I tried, I think I was on Ubuntu 11.10. I'm on 12.04lts and it worked great. I downloaded it, it installed fine, I didnt get a chance to play with it, but it launched just fine. The simulator, however, needed to have the vm installed to my home directory, not a big deal, but it would crash when I put it in the /opt directory. (99% sure it was a permissions issue)

@RedxD - Does it give you any messages when it installs? Or when it fails to launch?
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticGolem View Post
    Yeah, the last time I tried, I think I was on Ubuntu 11.10. I'm on 12.04lts and it worked great. I downloaded it, it installed fine, I didnt get a chance to play with it, but it launched just fine. The simulator, however, needed to have the vm installed to my home directory, not a big deal, but it would crash when I put it in the /opt directory. (99% sure it was a permissions issue)

@RedxD - Does it give you any messages when it installs? Or when it fails to launch?
    Not at all, it installs perfectly but it just won't start :s
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

I'm willing to bet that it's a missing library and for whatever odd reason that error is getting suppressed or just not showing its ugly self. I believe the gold sdk is about to drop so perhaps that might reveal it. If not I suggest doing a test install and run with the 32 bit java and eclipse ide to see if that shows what library is missing.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

you could try running ldd on the executable. Might tell you what libraries your missing... but it's a long shot, and I dont know what the output would be if your missing a library.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

I'll install the 32-bit libraries tonight, I'll look up for ldd as well, thanks for all the help
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

New ndk is up. Might try that. I'm d/ling it now.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

Update... I found a machine that it wont start on. Think I've traced the problem. Will let you know.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    Just ask

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Got it to launch. It wont run on this machine, but it has almost no development environment. (Which may be an issue for this machine) Doesnt bother me here, cause I wont be using this machine to do my developing.

---update #2?---
    The problem with the launch was it put my license and other files it needed in /root/.rim and made them all root. So the user account couldnt access them. Moving them to ~/.rim and chowning them to the user made it work fine.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    PM me for it!

For what it's worth, I've been successfully running the NDK on 64bit Ubuntu and now 64bit Mint 14. I perform the installation as root, installing to the /opt directory, next (and this is important!) move the /root/.rim folder to my home directory (i.e. /home/russ/.rim/) and then do 'sudo chown -R russ.russ /home/russ/.rim' and launch it by the command '/opt/bbndk/bbndk.sh' from a terminal.

Two other points:

1. Install ia32-libs if you are on 64 bit Linux (as has already been mentioned).
    2. Always remove the old ndk and it's directories before installing a newer version:
    1. Run 'sudo /opt/bbndk/installer/uninstall' (I think that is correct, I'm not at my PC atm).
    2. Run 'sudo rm -rf /opt/bbndk'.
    3. Run 'rm -rf ~/.rim'.

This has always worked well for me. Glad to see other developers embracing Linux, I won't personally use anything else when I have the option.

Russ.
    "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" - Matthew 16:24

SpeedNotes - A fast and convenient note taking application

VitalSigns - Customizable Style for your BlackBerry 10 Device!

Visit Gray Matter Apps on the web: http://www.graymatterapps.com/
    Thanked by:
    RedxD (12-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by russnash View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been successfully running the NDK on 64bit Ubuntu and now 64bit Mint 14. I perform the installation as root, installing to the /opt directory, next (and this is important!) move the /root/.rim folder to my home directory (i.e. /home/russ/.rim/) and then do 'sudo chown -R russ.russ /home/russ/.rim' and launch it by the command '/opt/bbndk/bbndk.sh' from a terminal.

Two other points:

1. Install ia32-libs if you are on 64 bit Linux (as has already been mentioned).
    2. Always remove the old ndk and it's directories before installing a newer version:
    1. Run 'sudo /opt/bbndk/installer/uninstall' (I think that is correct, I'm not at my PC atm).
    2. Run 'sudo rm -rf /opt/bbndk'.
    3. Run 'rm -rf ~/.rim'.

This has always worked well for me. Glad to see other developers embracing Linux, I won't personally use anything else when I have the option.

Russ.
    This thread is a bit old, but for CentOS users, I thought I'd add that there is no ia32-libs to install. I looked in /opt/bbndk/ide/linux/x86/eclipse/configuration/ and found some logs that indicated libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 was missing. Some quick googling and a bit of trial and error led me to the following yum command to install the dependent libs:

yum install gtk2.i686 PackageKit-gtk-module.i686 libcanberra-gtk2.i686

You might need some additional libs depending on what you already have installed, so check out those logs in /opt/bbndk/ide/linux/x86/eclipse/configuration/ for details.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast