I am a female who is definitely technologically challenged. I am going to give as much detail as possible because I really need help!

I got my Z10 the day it was released. I have never done an update because a Verizon employee told me that updates delete texts. I am still operating on 10.0.9.422.

In February, my Z10 started overheating. It would then freeze, shut off and reboot. This became more common as time went on and started happening several times a day. Soon after, my pages began to load slower and slower. Then Facebook alerts would disappear completely from my HUB. Most recently, I was unable to receive texts.

Obviously, I need to do something. Here's my question and further conundrum. A Verizon customer service agent told me the issue is with the phone and not the network. They recommended resetting the phone to factory settings but couldn't help any further. A BlackBerry rep told me a simple update should fix my problems and that he hadn't heard of updates deleting texts. But I have about 36000 texts on my phone and am having anxiety that an update will delete texts. I did a backup on my laptop, but can't see my texts in BlackBerry Link. I also got SMS Backup, but have heard that it isn't reliable.

All of my photos have been saved, as well as my contacts. I have three email accounts, Facebook and Twitter active in my Hub. Would you recommend deleting the accounts before I update? The most recent update notification I have in my Hub is 10.2.1.2122.

And can anyone possibly help me navigate the update without deleting my texts? I know it sounds immature, but the system I'm on doesn't allow me to save or delete individual texts. My only option is to end chats. I have texts that I absolutely can not lose.

Can someone with patience please help me?
    07-16-14 09:33 AM
    I am a female who is definitely technologically challenged.
    Hi Guest, I'm gentlemen I must try to help I'm kidding the start of message is so touching .
    Well I don't think with a backup there can be a problem to update your phone. I didn't hear that update deletes text messages. But let's be on the safe side.
    If ti so important to preserve text message I strongly suggest to do it like a serious project. That's mean first test what you gonna do.
    Find some other phone (borrow or something like that - Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30 it doesn't matter) and try to restore your backup to that phone. If text messages are there you can be sure everything is fine. Please continue to update your phone regularly.
    I hope this can help.
    Have a safe update, Vlada
    Last edited by BlackberryAtQuadra; 07-16-14 at 10:08 AM. Reason: I forgot something
    HB46 likes this.
    07-16-14 10:01 AM
    I am a female who is definitely technologically challenged. I am going to give as much detail as possible because I really need help!

I got my Z10 the day it was released. I have never done an update because a Verizon employee told me that updates delete texts. I am still operating on 10.0.9.422.

In February, my Z10 started overheating. It would then freeze, shut off and reboot. This became more common as time went on and started happening several times a day. Soon after, my pages began to load slower and slower. Then Facebook alerts would disappear completely from my HUB. Most recently, I was unable to receive texts.

Obviously, I need to do something. Here's my question and further conundrum. A Verizon customer service agent told me the issue is with the phone and not the network. They recommended resetting the phone to factory settings but couldn't help any further. A BlackBerry rep told me a simple update should fix my problems and that he hadn't heard of updates deleting texts. But I have about 36000 texts on my phone and am having anxiety that an update will delete texts. I did a backup on my laptop, but can't see my texts in BlackBerry Link. I also got SMS Backup, but have heard that it isn't reliable.

All of my photos have been saved, as well as my contacts. I have three email accounts, Facebook and Twitter active in my Hub. Would you recommend deleting the accounts before I update? The most recent update notification I have in my Hub is 10.2.1.2122.

And can anyone possibly help me navigate the update without deleting my texts? I know it sounds immature, but the system I'm on doesn't allow me to save or delete individual texts. My only option is to end chats. I have texts that I absolutely can not lose.

Yes updating your OS will make your phone so much better that's an old OS you have
    Using BlackBerry Link will back up all texts, but if you want to be extra safe get back up pro it's 4.99 but it's amazing and works! I have it and works great.

Once you back up using link (and backup pro) you should be able to check for updates under settings and update that way (and in theory your data and texts should still be there) if not your can restore using link or back up pro.

Here's backup pro that works really well

Check out Backup Pro in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/50717887

Posted via CB10
    FireChestApps and HB46 like this.
    07-16-14 10:03 AM
    Hi! I'm the original question asker!!!

Thank you both for taking the time to help me!!! I appreciate it so much!!!

I would have loved to try Backup Pro, but when I followed the link to App World, it said "Not available for this device." Totally my luck
    BlackberryAtQuadra likes this.
    07-16-14 12:19 PM

I would have loved to try Backup Pro, but when I followed the link to App World, it said "Not available for this device." Totally my luck
    Weird try manually searching for it, it should be available the developer is active on these forums maybe he will see this thread

Posted via CB10
    FireChestApps likes this.
    07-16-14 12:50 PM

Might be due to your software version.... some apps are only available for newer version of BB10, and developer usually pull their older versions.

Have to wonder how much space does 36000 text take up.... I know these are very basic with only a few KB each, but 36,000 adds up.

Backup with LINK and also use the SMS Backup you have. Between the two you should be OK.... unless there are problems updating from so old an OS to a current version without the normal intermediate updates. But update your phone, it's a world of difference!
    FireChestApps and HB46 like this.
    07-16-14 01:11 PM
    Responded within minutes to the support enquiry via email. Yes "Backup Pro" requires 10.2.0.

Wow! That's a lot of SMS's.

Posted via CB10
    HB46 and anon1727506 like this.
    07-16-14 03:09 PM
    Thanks, all!!! I'm still anxious about my texts. I'm wondering, with three email accounts, Twitter and Facebook active in my Hub, do any of you think deleting these accounts from my Z10 before doing the update (which I'm doing on the phone, from the link in notifications) might help the chances of my texts surviving the update and reboot???

And yes, the Backup Pro staff was extremely helpful! No shock it had to do with my OS version. I promise, I've learned my lesson!!!
    07-16-14 06:09 PM
    Oh, and my phone is using 11.7 GB of storage space. 10.7 GB is other data, which I assume includes my texts.

And my texts are so important because I lost both my Grandma and cousin this year, and I have many texts from both that I'm just not ready to let go of yet. That's why I'm so grateful for all of your help!!!
    07-16-14 06:13 PM
    I have never lost my texts when updating my OS.
    Now with that said I have had delays when opening conversations that are long. Which may be a problem for you.

I recommend you save your texts to remember or some other note app like evernote. This is tedious as you have to enter a chat then select 3 dots on bottom right then copy text. You then have to paste it in the remember app or some other note app. You can also use documents to go to save it to word.
    Problem is you have to do this with each text conversation. Perhaps all your texts that you want to save are from just a few different people. Then this will not take that long.
    This method will not save your texts in the text app, but it is a back up if the texts do give you trouble after the update.

Posted from my awesome Q10
    HB46 likes this.
    07-16-14 06:41 PM
    It doesn't hurt to delete as much as you can (fb ect) and I would do two or three backups with link just in case. But personally I have never had a problem with link!

Posted via CB10
    HB46 likes this.
    07-16-14 06:42 PM