Hi, my Passport was stolen. I have been onto BB Protect and see that the Protect is not registering my handset. Is there any way that the contents can be wiped using the BB pin or IMEi numbers? I have some personal info on the handset.
    10-10-16 03:13 PM
    I "think" that as long as you had it set up, and tested it with the location, and a sound ping, and all was good, then if you send the command to wipe the device will occur when the thief turns on the device.

Did you have it password protected? it will wipe itself after ten attempts by the thief. He will then have a "working device", BUT, as long as you report it stolen, the IMEI number will be registered as stolen and won't be able to connect with a carrier etc. All the thief ends up with is basically a Passport sized "tablet", usable only with wifi and net access.
    10-10-16 03:45 PM
    I "think" that as long as you had it set up, and tested it with the location, and a sound ping, and all was good, then if you send the command to wipe the device will occur when the thief turns on the device.

Did you have it password protected? it will wipe itself after ten attempts by the thief. He will then have a "working device", BUT, as long as you report it stolen, the IMEI number will be registered as stolen and won't be able to connect with a carrier etc. All the thief ends up with is basically a Passport sized "tablet", usable only with wifi and net access.
    If it had a newer version of BB10 installed... The anti theft protection will make it a lump of "art", even if they reinstall the OS. Which is why smartphone theft is WAY down. Very little chance of the device being usable and a high chance that the police will show up at the door after the user tracked their phone. Most "theft" today is just meanness, or forgetfulness.... or selling it for parts.
    10-10-16 03:55 PM
    Good to know...
    10-13-16 10:38 AM
    selling it for parts.
    ^^^^^^^this is the case for devices stolen today.
    10-13-16 10:42 AM