I plan on buying a used Q10 from a reputable seller and the description and pic shows that it is a T-Mobile-branded Q10 that is unlocked and I want to know if it will get the official 10.3.1 update via Link, OTA, or the BlackBerry website like how a ShopBB device does.

I did a search and most pointed to either using an autoloader or sachesi but I'm most interested in the official OS and usual way because I have a ShopBB z10 and mostly happy with everything having gone with the official update route (minus advanced interaction not working), and it didn't require removing the SIM either and I'm currently on the T-Mobile network too.

Thank you for your answers.

Posted via CB10 via the Internets
    Last edited by sibeans; 03-30-15 at 09:27 PM.
    03-30-15 09:06 PM
    While a TMO SIM is in it, a branded Q10 (locked or unlocked) will only get official OSes from TMO. You'll have to put another carrier's SIM card to get an official OTA.
    sibeans likes this.
    03-30-15 09:28 PM
    i think you pretty much answered your own question if its tmobile branded i dont think they will be pushing anything out your best bet is what you mentioned
    03-30-15 09:28 PM
    i think you pretty much answered your own question if its tmobile branded i dont think they will be pushing anything out your best bet is what you mentioned
    It is branded but unlocked also, and being unlocked, will it get the update pushed directly from BlackBerry? Or does it being unlocked have nothing to do with updates?

03-31-15 12:38 AM
    Or does it being unlocked have nothing to do with updates?
    Correct. Branding is what matters.
    sibeans likes this.
    03-31-15 09:43 AM
    Factory unlocked (unbranded) phones will get the official update directly from BlackBerry. A branded phone that was unlocked must use Sachesi or autoloader to update.

Some carriers sell factory unlocked phones, but T-Mobile is not one of them.
    sibeans likes this.
    03-31-15 09:54 AM
    Factory unlocked (unbranded) phones will get the official update directly from BlackBerry. A branded phone that was unlocked must use Sachesi or autoloader to update.

Some carriers sell factory unlocked phones, but T-Mobile is not one of them.
    I have 2 "factory unlocked" phone (Q10) and last 2-3 updates newer pushed to it ? And i got answer once from them "its up to your carrier when update is pushed to your phone" ?!?!?!?!

(i did try with 4 major carriers here in Danmark no update )
    03-31-15 11:04 AM
    Correct. Branding is what matters.
    Do you know if taking out the SIM and rebooting will allow the update to be pushed?

03-31-15 02:53 PM
    Thanks everyone for answering

03-31-15 02:54 PM
    I have 2 "factory unlocked" phone (Q10) and last 2-3 updates newer pushed to it ? And i got answer once from them "its up to your carrier when update is pushed to your phone" ?!?!?!?!

(i did try with 4 major carriers here in Danmark no update )
    Are you sure you have a factory unlocked phone, or just one that doesn't have a carrier logo on it? Did you buy it from ShopBlackBerry EU?

Do you know if taking out the SIM and rebooting will allow the update to be pushed?
    I don't think that works.

If an OTA is what you want, look into getting a foreign SIM card--active or inactive, doesn't matter. But IDK if it can be from a SQN100-1 carrier (Bell, Telus, or even Rogers,) or if it has to be strictly a -5 carrier (Wind Mobile.) I'm not sure if WIND carried the Q10, much less if they've even released a 10.3.1 for the Q10.
    sibeans likes this.
    03-31-15 04:07 PM
    Are you sure you have a factory unlocked phone, or just one that doesn't have a carrier logo on it? Did you buy it from ShopBlackBerry EU?

I don't think that works.

If an OTA is what you want, look into getting a foreign SIM card--active or inactive, doesn't matter. But IDK if it can be from a SQN100-1 carrier (Bell, Telus, or even Rogers,) or if it has to be strictly a -5 carrier (Wind Mobile.) I'm not sure if WIND carried the Q10, much less if they've even released a 10.3.1 for the Q10.
    My question is based on the price differences for the AT&T, T-Mobile, and unlocked versions; and the going prices between the T-Mobile and unlocked aren't as great compared to the AT&T version; I think I'll save the time and go for the unlocked one.

03-31-15 04:19 PM
    My question is based on the price differences for the AT&T, T-Mobile, and unlocked versions; and the going prices between the T-Mobile and unlocked aren't as great compared to the AT&T version; I think I'll save the time and go for the unlocked one.
    I'm guessing the prices go like this:

Factory unlocked>TMO>AT&T?

If so, that would be because TMO's version is the locked -5, which once unlocked is fully compatible with AT&T. The AT&T -1 is missing one of TMO's 3G bands.

Plus, there are probably more -1s in circulation as at least four big NA carriers got it, as opposed to at least two for the -5. But that's just a guess.
    03-31-15 04:37 PM
    I'm guessing the prices go like this:

Factory unlocked>TMO>AT&T?

If so, that would be because TMO's version is the locked -5, which once unlocked is fully compatible with AT&T. The AT&T -1 is missing one of TMO's 3G bands.

Plus, there are probably more -1s in circulation as at least four big NA carriers got it, as opposed to at least two for the -5. But that's just a guess.
    That's generally what I found but the condition of the Q plays a part too. I was considering the AT&T version but given the average coverage of T-Mobile, that missing band doesn't justify the price savings.

03-31-15 04:51 PM
    Yes , bought from BB Shop .
    04-01-15 01:38 AM
    Yes , bought from BB Shop .
    You said an update was never pushed to you, in a very narrow sense it wasn't pushed to me either: I had to do a manual check to find it.

How recently have you checked for 10.3.1? Initially there were some hiccups with its rollout to factory unlocked phones, so if you checked for it within the first two/three days, you may not have found it.
    04-01-15 12:17 PM
    You said an update was never pushed to you, in a very narrow sense it wasn't pushed to me either: I had to do a manual check to find it.

How recently have you checked for 10.3.1? Initially there were some hiccups with its rollout to factory unlocked phones, so if you checked for it within the first two/three days, you may not have found it.
    last update i got was via BB Link cant remember OS nr. , just i have problem dont have Win or OSX machine ,just used friends PC , Thats reason from now and on i update my phones with Sachesi and Linux .
    04-01-15 01:05 PM
    I still don't have 10.3.1 on a factory unlocked -1 with a T-mo sim. I've tried both OTA over wifi and using Link with Windows 8.1.
    04-03-15 12:59 PM
    I still don't have 10.3.1 on a factory unlocked -1 with a T-mo sim. I've tried both OTA over wifi and using Link with Windows 8.1.
    With a TMO SIM card still in the phone you are not going to get anywhere, especially with a -1. Have you tried taking out your SIM card, or at least turning mobile network off and checking for an OTA over WiFi? The latter method may not work but it's less work.
    04-03-15 01:27 PM
    OTA over wifi doesn't get the update. I haven't pulled the sim yet because it's a struggle to remove the ill-fitting battery cover. I wonder if we'll have to buy an AT&T sim just for update purposes?
    04-05-15 12:21 AM
    I wonder if we'll have to buy an AT&T sim just for update purposes?
    Assuming AT&T approves a 10.3.1. They haven't yet.

But if you're willing to swap SIM cards, why not just check with the SIM card out?
    04-05-15 10:08 AM