I had a very bad experience on an Android device where it was clear that Google was reading my text messages. Basically they marketed something to me that was extremely obscure and I only discussed with one friend, in a text.

So will this new BB shield me from google's prying eyes? Also does BB have it's own cloud storage or contacts system? Or would I be at the mercy of Google contacts and Google drive or some 3rd party cloud. TIA.
    raino likes this.
    07-28-16 04:25 PM
    The DTek has BlackBerry's contacts app, so you don't have to use Google's. You're not required to use gmail, so if you use some other cloud-based service for your contacts, Google shouldn't see them. Google sees what you do when you use their services. The less you use them, the less they see.

But BlackBerry doesn't have its own cloud-based email and contacts services, so if that's what you want you'll need to choose some non-Google service whose policies are more to your liking.
    Some have said here in the forums that the DTEK app doesn't monitor the core Goggle apps.
    That's not a good thing at all.

 Passport/SQW100-3  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    07-28-16 05:54 PM
    If you're talking about SMS, I don't think DTEK50 can help you there.

But you could use BBM Protected or WA or some other end to end encrypted service to talk to your friends. That would help.
    07-28-16 06:08 PM
    The DTek has BlackBerry's contacts app, so you don't have to use Google's. You're not required to use gmail, so if you use some other cloud-based service for your contacts, Google shouldn't see them. Google sees what you do when you use their services. The less you use them, the less they see.

But BlackBerry doesn't have its own cloud-based email and contacts services, so if that's what you want you'll need to choose some non-Google service whose policies are more to your liking.
    raino likes this.
    07-28-16 06:13 PM
    I had a very bad experience on an Android device where it was clear that Google was reading my text messages. Basically they marketed something to me that was extremely obscure and I only discussed with one friend, in a text.

So will this new BB shield me from google's prying eyes? Also does BB have it's own cloud storage or contacts system? Or would I be at the mercy of Google contacts and Google drive or some 3rd party cloud. TIA.
    You cannot use Google services, and be protected from Googles many ways to get your info, except from the swithes Google gives you via control panels
    07-28-16 07:18 PM