I see Amazon still has the Verizon Z30 at full price. However, I see many sellers on eBay have it for around $215 (example). Is there a catch I'm missing? Something seems fishy.
    09-02-15 01:43 PM
    Just because it's Verizon...

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 01:46 PM
    Many of the Verizon Z30 devices on eBay look to be used or refurbished devices. Some are supposedly excess stock that someone bought by the pallet. I got mine on eBay from a private seller almost a year ago. It's been supurb.

Amazon isn't the only place where you can buy a Verizon Z30 for full price. I just got one from Big Red for my daughter. They still sell it for $499. It appears to be recently made too. The date code was 290615.
    Nate650 likes this.
    09-02-15 01:51 PM
    Many of the Verizon Z30 devices on eBay look to be used or refurbished devices. Some are supposedly excess stock that someone bought by the pallet. I got mine on eBay from a private seller almost a year ago. It's been supurb.

Amazon isn't the only place where you can buy a Verizon Z30 for full price. I just got one from Big Red for my daughter. They still sell it for $499. It appears to be recently made too. The date code was 290615.
    The listings I saw on eBay had "New" for the condition. I don't think a seller would be bold enough to lie about that, but you never know.
    09-02-15 02:29 PM
    The listings I saw on eBay had "New" for the condition. I don't think a seller would be bold enough to lie about that, but you never know.
    Sure they would it's Ebay, the "carnival swap meet" of the internet.

Posted via CB10
    Nate650 likes this.
    09-02-15 02:49 PM
    It's largely a supply and availability issue. The largest buyer of BB10 phones for use on Verizon is Verizon, so they control the pricing structure. Sure there are other sellers like Amazon and maybe Best Buy--but these places make money off contracts and not off of MSRP sales (which is why a phone may be $200 on contract at Verizon but $100 at Amazon--they get their commission for your contract.) So these places don't really have an incentive to deviate too far from the #1 seller's pricing. Hell I've even seen Best Buy price no-contract phones higher than carriers before.

Why is Verizon still sitting on $500 Z30s and hasn't dumped them is a good question though--like Amazon Fire Phones which have been dumped and are going for as low as $125 with a year of Amazon Prime ($99) included. Even if Verizon placed a large order for the Z30s it can't get rid of, at some point they would want to cut their losses, right?

Edit: didn't see the eBay link earlier. Not sure what "New Phones are received in a master carton as devices only" means, but I have a feeling that these aren't packaged exactly like Verizon-sold Z30s are. And who knows about warranty? On one hand, these are third party-sold phones, but on the other hand, it's very likely they passed through Verizon at some point, so is there warranty through the carrier?
    Last edited by raino; 09-02-15 at 04:38 PM.
    Nate650 likes this.
    09-02-15 03:14 PM
    It's largely a supply and availability issue. The largest buyer of BB10 phones for use on Verizon is Verizon, so they control the pricing structure. Sure there are other sellers like Amazon and maybe Best Buy--but these places make money off contracts and not off of MSRP sales (which is why a phone may be $200 on contract at Verizon but $100 at Amazon--they get their commission for your contract.) So these places don't really have an incentive to deviate too far from the #1 seller's pricing. Hell I've even seen Best Buy price no-contract phones higher than carriers before.

Why is Verizon still sitting on $500 Z30s and hasn't dumped them is a good question though--like Amazon Fire Phones which have been dumped and are going for as low as $125 with a year of Amazon Prime ($99) included. Even if Verizon placed a large order for the Z30s it can't get rid of, at some point they would want to cut their losses, right?
    The Verizon guy in charge of that department is probably a transfer from BlackBerry Waterloo circa 2005-06.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 04:27 PM
    I kept hoping that they'd look to start dumping them. I bought this one for my daughter, and I wanted to be sure about the warranty and other support. She lives just far enough away that we can't easily get together for me to fix whatever she does to her phone. Of course, it's not like she's going to get stellar expert support from VZW for a BlackBerry. At least they'll replace it after they get lost trying to tell her how to do a factory reset.
    Nate650 likes this.
    09-02-15 06:55 PM
    I'm going to see what BlackBerry has down the pipeline. If "Venice" doesn't impress and no other flagship devices are announced before the end of the year, I may have to "upgrade" my Z10 to the Z30. A two-year-old phone still selling for full price is unheard of. At this point I wouldn't pay more than $225 for the Verizon Z30.
    09-02-15 07:13 PM
    I got my z30 off eBay about 200. Said new looked new seems that it was new. Not a Verizon though. If you have a z10 just suck it up and get the 30. You will love it.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 08:52 PM
    If the warranty situation and what's included/how it differs from a Verizon retail box can be clarified for the $215 Z30, it's a hell of a deal for a brand new Verizon Z30.
    09-02-15 08:54 PM
    Please note that Verizon-branded Z30s can be charged wirelessly.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 09:40 AM
    Verizon has to charge more because their branded phones send everything directly to the NSA.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2339 / T-Mobile USA
    09-03-15 09:57 AM
    I just watched the documentary "Citizen Four" and after hearing Snowden talk about Verizon and AT&T by name I am disgusted with both of them.

People say large corporations are in control of this country. But not in the care of Internet and cell service.

I wonder if anyone has asked John "batman" Legere if he stood up the government or is taking payoffs from them to hand stuff over too.

09-03-15 10:04 AM
    I wonder if anyone has asked John "batman" Legere if he stood up the government or is taking payoffs from them to hand stuff over too.
    T-Mobile was asked to turn over more customer info than its larger rivals - CNET

Hmm...I wonder why they were the last carrier to issue a transparency report.
    09-03-15 11:41 AM
    Why is Verizon still sitting on $500 Z30s and hasn't dumped them is a good question though
    I don't know if you remember this, but what is interesting is that Verizon had sold out of Z30s at one time and no longer had them available. Maybe a big customer pressured them or something, but all of a sudden they had them again and still do. So I guess they are just selling whatever was left of that late order and keeping some stock for an important corporate customer or two.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    09-03-15 12:09 PM
    Verizon had end of life the Z30, but then the feds purchasing budget came in and they start ordering in such numbers that Verizon had no chose but to place a new order with blackberry for new Verizon Z30s.
    09-03-15 12:32 PM
    T-Mobile was asked to turn over more customer info than its larger rivals - CNET

Hmm...I wonder why they were the last carrier to issue a transparency report.
    I'd like the answer to that. I honestly don't think any carrier is "safe" by any means. It would be great if someone had the ethics to stand up to them but this is reality. We'll never get back what was lost after 9/11 without a major revolution.

raino likes this.
    09-03-15 02:53 PM
    I'd like the answer to that. I honestly don't think any carrier is "safe" by any means.
    Exactly. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint seem to have taken the carrot that the NSA is oh so generously offering. AFAIK, TMO hasn't been explicitly linked to accepting payments, but they too turn over information--apparently more than AT&T and Verizon Wireless last year.
    Doggerz likes this.
    09-03-15 02:58 PM