Hello to all,
    I was using a BB passport, then as there was end of whatsapp support on BB10 announced, I switched to BB Priv...
    I am so disappointed by this Priv... I am currently selling it and I will go back to Passport.

I really need whatsapp so I am quite not satisfied with the "quick solution" that is existing...

Then I was wondering: whatsapp is free of charge, but what if we would accept to pay 5 to 10€ ($) to keep it maintained?

Would you be ready to pay for this app if it can stay supported on BB10?
    If yes, how could we raise our need to Whatsapp / facebook developpers?

Best regards
    04-18-17 07:44 AM
    There's no easy way to say this... WhatsApp and Facebook don't care about your money.

1) They're already rich.
    2) The amount of BB10 customers that would pay isn't even a drop in the bucket to them.

You could add up every BB10 user and have them pay, it still wouldn't matter.
    04-18-17 07:53 AM
    The way WhatsApp and FaceBook see it... you're eventually going to move on to a platform they are supporting anyway.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    04-18-17 07:59 AM
    Keep in mind also Whatsapp is dropping support for others also besides BB10. But we BB10 users for now have option can use android version. Others have no choice.
    04-18-17 08:23 AM
    Hello to all,
    I was using a BB passport, then as there was end of whatsapp support on BB10 announced, I switched to BB Priv...
    I am so disappointed by this Priv... I am currently selling it and I will go back to Passport.

I really need whatsapp so I am quite not satisfied with the "quick solution" that is existing...

Then I was wondering: whatsapp is free of charge, but what if we would accept to pay 5 to 10€ ($) to keep it maintained?

Best regards
    If you "really need WhatsApp," either keep your Priv or move to another Android/iOS device.
    04-18-17 08:32 AM
    Since there are a few dominent app developers out there, and a few must have apps - they need to be especially careful to not be seen to be conspiring to create a monopolistic or duopolistic market. So the fact that they are rich, makes it all the more important that they appear not to be colluding towards creating a monopoly or duopoly in the smartphone marketplace. With that in mind, I think the major app developers should be very careful to continue to distribute to 'retail' channels other than iTunes and Google Play regardless of whether those other 'retailers' are large or small...such as BlackBerry World.
    04-18-17 09:25 AM
    Since there are a few dominent app developers out there, and a few must have apps - they need to be especially careful to not be seen to be conspiring to create a monopolistic or duopolistic market. So the fact that they are rich, makes it all the more important that they appear not to be colluding towards creating a monopoly or duopoly in the smartphone marketplace. With that in mind, I think the major app developers should be very careful to continue to distribute to 'retail' channels other than iTunes and Google Play regardless of whether those other 'retailers' are large or small...such as BlackBerry World.
    Interesting view of things....
    04-18-17 09:42 AM
    Careful to whom?

You think the United Nations are going to break into a developers office and force them to make an app for 0.01% of the market?
    04-18-17 09:42 AM
    Businesses are free to invest their resources in the areas where it will make them money, and likewise can't be forced to spend time or money to develop apps for platforms that won't make them enough money to make it worth the cost.

Posted with my  Classic
    04-18-17 09:43 AM
    Interesting view of things....
    Friendly way of saying, "this guy is crazy" lol.

Posted with my  Classic
    04-18-17 09:44 AM
    Hello to all,

Best regards
    If you NEED WhatsApp, your best bet is one of the DTEK's or the KEYone whenever it is available to purchase.

Posted with my  Classic
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-18-17 09:45 AM
    Careful to whom?

You think the United Nations are going to break into a developers office and force them to make an app for 0.01% of the market?
    It's a continuation of an article he linked too about Russia and their going after Google for monopolizing Android.
    04-18-17 09:46 AM
    It's a continuation of an article he linked too about Russia and their going after Google for monopolizing Android.
    Clearly he doesn't understand economics and how free markets work.

Some of Google's practices probable are anti-competition (what company doesn't want to "own" their market). But that's a big leap to a 3rd party only supporting the clearly dominate platforms as being collusion.
    04-18-17 09:53 AM
    Another of the Blackberry hopefuls trying to hold out to the end. Lol! He will eventually learn what so many of us have already accepted. Give him time.
    04-18-17 09:59 AM
    Businesses are free to invest their resources in the areas where it will make them money, and likewise can't be forced to spend time or money to develop apps for platforms that won't make them enough money to make it worth the cost.

Posted with my  Classic
    Agreed businesses should be free, until they get to the point of approaching a monopolistic or duopolistic control of the market.
    Naturally they will only make money associating with a platform that is approaching monopolistic reach, that is why they cannot make money elsewhere. Oftentimes the monopoly may swallow that independent business by purchase or kill them with the production of a similiar app (as microsoft did many times in the past)

In monopolistic cases the state may intervene, or the private litigation channel is invoked, to oil the cogs of competition again. If the 'app' is the driver to the smartphone market, then one might make the case of monopolistic practices. I think that, that is an often overlooked aspect of free-market economies. Perhaps one might argue that there is no monopoly or duopoly in the play stores, but I find that would be a hard case to prove today.
    04-18-17 10:06 AM
    It's one thing to go after Google for some protectionist practices.... very different to force 3rd party developers to support non viable platforms at their own cost.

If this was 2008 and you had four "equal" platforms and Facebook refused to support two of them for no reason... you might be able to start questing their motives. But this is 2017 and there ARE only two platform that are WORTH supporting at this point, go back four years ago and sadly that was just as true.

Now FaceBook buying Instagram and WhatsApps that might be considered a little monopolistic.... but that has nothing to do with support for "other" platforms.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-18-17 11:55 AM
    If you NEED WhatsApp, your best bet is one of the DTEK's or the KEYone whenever it is available to purchase.

Posted with my  Classic
    I know... but I really love the keyboard of the blackberry passport.
    Of course I will certainly buy the BB Keyone but the keyboard will not be the same.

I know as well that it is a dream to keep APPs on BB10 but who knows?

Best regards
    04-18-17 12:19 PM
    Of course I will certainly buy the BB Keyone but the keyboard will not be the same.

Best regards
    I wouldn't be too sure about the keyboard, it won't be the same but I bet you it will not be worse, I'm coming from a long line of the tiniest BB physical keyboards and I've found that your fingers get used to them with continuous use. The PassPort was too big and awkward when I first got it, but now it couldn't be better. I picked up an old Bold 9790 the other day and I wondered how on earth I could have typed on it, but I did quite enjoyably too.

I've never been a fan of sliders, the balance was always a bit odd for me, the priv even more so because of the length. I would say go Android, but if you're like me who loves to actually feel keys rather than rub on glass, a touch screen phone will always be secondary, so I'd say wait it out for the K1, looks to be just the perfect blend!
    glwerry likes this.
    04-18-17 04:26 PM

Best regards
    I wouldn't be too sure about the keyboard, it won't be the same but I bet you it will not be worse, I'm coming from a long line of the tiniest BB physical keyboards and I've found that your fingers get used to them with continuous use. The PassPort was too big and awkward when I first got it, but now it couldn't be better. I picked up an old Bold 9790 the other day and I wondered how on earth I could have typed on it, but I did quite enjoyably too.

I've never been a fan of sliders, the balance was always a bit odd for me, the priv even more so because of the length. I would say go Android, but if you're like me who loves to actually feel keys rather than rub on glass, a touch screen phone will always be secondary, so I'd say wait it out for the K1, looks to be just the perfect blend!
    04-18-17 04:26 PM
    Agreed businesses should be free, until they get to the point of approaching a monopolistic or duopolistic control of the market.
    Naturally they will only make money associating with a platform that is approaching monopolistic reach, that is why they cannot make money elsewhere. Oftentimes the monopoly may swallow that independent business by purchase or kill them with the production of a similiar app (as microsoft did many times in the past)

In monopolistic cases the state may intervene, or the private litigation channel is invoked, to oil the cogs of competition again. If the 'app' is the driver to the smartphone market, then one might make the case of monopolistic practices. I think that, that is an often overlooked aspect of free-market economies. Perhaps one might argue that there is no monopoly or duopoly in the play stores, but I find that would be a hard case to prove today.
    Your argument might be much more valid if the scope was wider than ONE app. For instance, WhatsApp (WA) isn't that widely used in North America because many cellular providers here provide unlimited text. I do not know a single person who uses WA.
    04-18-17 04:55 PM
    Your argument might be much more valid if the scope was wider than ONE app. For instance, WhatsApp (WA) isn't that widely used in North America because many cellular providers here provide unlimited text. I do not know a single person who uses WA.
    Actually the argument is not just for WhatsApp its with the existence of two dominating stores (iTunes and GooglePlay), but WhatsApp illustrates the general problem. And the same could be said for the top dozen or so apps, that drive the sales of smartphones, as 'must-have' apps in various markets....and Google 'Android' as the must-have platform. The conjecture is that iTunes and Google Play act as an effective duopoly for apps and therefore lock-out competitive platforms from the apps development marketplace, and effectively create a scenario of declining share of ..BB10 and others.... imagine if you will, that you could only buy goods from Walmart or Target only, and that there were no other "retailers" for goods to be purchased from.....or only Hyundaii and Nissan in the car market etc....
    04-18-17 05:36 PM

Best regards
    WA does not really have a choice. BB10 development has ended and sooner than later WA features will no longer be compatible with BB10. The same goes with just about everything else, too.
    04-18-17 06:10 PM
    WA does not really have a choice. BB10 development has ended and sooner than later WA features will no longer be compatible with BB10. The same goes with just about everything else, too.
    Anyone who thinks developers should support BB10 should look at BlackBerry's developer site and see how long it's been since BlackBerry supported developers.
    04-18-17 08:06 PM
    Careful to whom?

Will they fly in on the black helicopters with UNHCFOS* painted on the side?

* the United Nations High Commission for Failed Operating Systems.
    glwerry likes this.
    04-18-17 08:09 PM
    It's one thing to go after Google for some protectionist practices.... very different to force 3rd party developers to support non viable platforms at their own cost.
    It's the same "app neutrality" thing Chen posted about some time ago, in that external forces (i.e. governments) should offer handouts to platforms that are in last place in spite of their own faults. At the same time succesful platforms should be punished for their success because this is Venezuela or something. There's a reason there's only two platforms worth using.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    04-18-17 08:12 PM
29 12