This thread is not meant to start a debate about which platform is better. I'm curious what reason CB users provide as to why they don't think that BB is going the route that Palm did.

I do not have an opinion on this matter. Just curious. I was thinking about this today as I was going through some old posts on webOS Nation and started wondering if BB would end up going the same route as Palm-some of the best software ever but not enough users so the software lives on but the company ends up ostensibly no longer a smartphone manufacturer.

Just curious what other users think.
    09-02-14 03:20 PM
    I've shortened up the thread title a bit.

I didn't see the later Palm hardware, but I did get some hands on time with the original Palm Pre. I didn't care for the hardware, despite the OS & UI appearing quite intriguing. I disliked the keyboard. A lot.

But there are definite symmetries between the two tales. Since I'm a BlackBerry and BB10 fan, I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself.
    09-02-14 04:47 PM
    LOL, I don't know: because some high flying celebs got hacked and their nudie selfies posted all over the web, and people are now more security conscious???

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1052
    09-02-14 04:49 PM
    Because Palm was primarily a hardware-only outfit. Chen has been doing his utmost to make it abundantly clear to all that hardware is just one small part of BBRY's business. And there are many signs that it's turning around, which is already beyond any point Palm got to before they folded up camp.
    09-02-14 04:53 PM
    Nobody even says this anymore lol. Before the launch of bb10 maybe but not now
    09-02-14 04:55 PM
    This has been discussed at length in the past. I agree with sleepngbear - Palm was a one trick pony. That, and one-touch 911 calling from a locked screen - the main reason I switched to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 05:01 PM
    This is moot imo. Palm never got to where BlackBerry is before HP bought it out. I can quietly be confident that Chen will not be selling the hardware division just for it to be shut down. How much did HP pay for palm/ webOS?
    09-02-14 05:04 PM
    This thread is not meant to start a debate about which platform is better. I'm curious what reason CB users provide as to why they don't think that BB is going the route that Palm did.

I do not have an opinion on this matter. Just curious. I was thinking about this today as I was going through some old posts on webOS Nation and started wondering if BB would end up going the same route as Palm-some of the best software ever but not enough users so the software lives on but the company ends up ostensibly no longer a smartphone manufacturer.

Just curious what other users think.
    If you look at the BlackBerry business currently it's split into different sections. QNX, BES, devices, BBM, and they recently launched BlackBerry Technology Services. The goal is to have each division to be self sufficient and profitable by themselves. If devices doesn't lead to profits it could be one division that closes. But it doesn't sound like that's happening because they seem to be in line to make the 10 million devices yearly minimum goal. I'm not familiar with the Palm business but obviously they didn't have a backup plan if their devices failed to catch on. And so that's why BlackBerry won't go out like palm.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    rodney0905 likes this.
    09-02-14 05:08 PM
    Palm had an os......

BlackBerry has complete end to end mobile solutions including the NOC.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    09-02-14 06:00 PM
    The top reasons Blackberry isn't Palm are:
    1/ It is more financially stable/independent than Palm
    2/ It is a less sought after/desirable takeover target than Palm.

Blackberry could have easily went the way of Palm when it put out its big "for sale" sign if it had been sold; but, interest in the company was low.

Palm was a much cheaper company than Blackberry so it was easier to buy out. Also, when WebOS was released, mobile OSes were still a relatively new market and the OS was innovative at the time.

Due to the failed Blackberry buyout campaign, Blackberry is awkwardly poised as a company with too much capital to go out of business yet not have a clear business plan.

This is to the benefit of Blackberry fans, who have been fortunate enough to enjoy BB10 phones much longer than they would be able to if BB10 belonged to a major, profitable corporation.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 09-02-14 at 06:25 PM.
    09-02-14 06:11 PM
    Palm didn't have enough money to continue developing webOS on its own. HP, under Mark Hurd, was willing to invest in them. Unfortunately, Hurd ended up in a scandal and was removed. His replacement, L�o Apotheker, was only interested in transforming HP into a software/services company, similar to IBM. He killed webOS and was in the midst of selling off HP's hardware division. The HP Board removed him and replaced him with Meg Whitman. By then, it was too late for webOS at HP. The team had been disassembled and/or left. For Palm, it was a series of unfortunate events with HP's leadship that killed webOS. Thankfully, some of the ideas that webOS pioneered lives on in the PlayBook OS, Android OS, iOS and BlackBerry 10.
    09-02-14 06:25 PM
    webOS is now used in LG smart TVs.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    09-02-14 06:29 PM
    Palm also used Windows OS. Clunky as hell and froze alot. Never got the foothold BlackBerry did.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-02-14 06:57 PM
    When Palm launched webOS there was only one Android phone. The Palm Pre won Best in Show at CES 2009. It was heralded as a potential "iPhone Killer".

ike Crackberry, the folks at webOSNation consider webOS to be "hands-down the best mobile OS." They weren't interested in any doomsday scenario saying that "HP didn't spend $3.2 billion dollars buying Palm to get out of the smartphone business." They even tried a tablet.

Although Palm was less diversified, it also faced a far less developed smartphone market as most consumers were still using feature phones.
    mornhavon likes this.
    09-02-14 07:44 PM
    For one the Pre hardware was terrible. The keyboard sucked and was a disaster to type on. WebOS was very nice but they gave it such garbage hardware that it had no chance.
    09-02-14 07:55 PM
    I still have a Palm Pixi Plus that I pull out of storage every once in awhile. IMHO WebOs is the best O.S. I have ever used. The Pixi has a great keyboard but like all the hardware, was underpowered. The only salvation was the ability to over clock the device thanks to a tremendous group of enthusiasts and tech wizards who kept these devices alive long after they should have been dead and buried. In fact they are still being used. There is a secret HOPE Among many users that LG will resurrect the OS in a new phone in the not too distant future. The reason I use a BB10 phone today is because I loved the gestures in WebOs and wanted to find something similar. I still wish I could fling those active frames up and away instead of having to tap that tiny x in the bottom right of the frame! For some reason, that gesture of closing an app seemed empowering.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-14 08:13 AM
    If I recall, Palm also went into serious debt, owing a ton of money it could no longer pay back. BlackBerry never did go into debt - never owing anyone else a dime.

People forget that about BlackBerry.

Sure, they were within a few million dollars of going into debt (and, they were quickly burning through their cash), but the restructuring has, so far, kept that from happening.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-14 09:05 AM
    webOS is now used in LG smart TVs.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    And LG is doing well with the WebOS powered TVs so far. They expect to reach the 10 million units sold milestone pretty soon. If BlackBerry doesn't turn things around quick, there will actually come a time in the not so distant future when WebOS TVs are being used by more people than BlackBerry 10 phones are. That's kind of a crazy thought.
    09-03-14 09:24 AM
    I still have a Palm Pixi Plus that I pull out of storage every once in awhile. IMHO WebOs is the best O.S. I have ever used. The Pixi has a great keyboard but like all the hardware, was underpowered. The only salvation was the ability to over clock the device thanks to a tremendous group of enthusiasts and tech wizards who kept these devices alive long after they should have been dead and buried. In fact they are still being used. There is a secret HOPE Among many users that LG will resurrect the OS in a new phone in the not too distant future. The reason I use a BB10 phone today is because I loved the gestures in WebOs and wanted to find something similar. I still wish I could fling those active frames up and away instead of having to tap that tiny x in the bottom right of the frame! For some reason, that gesture of closing an app seemed empowering.

Posted via CB10

I ended up reading a blog post about webOS gestures on webOS Nation last year. That interface seemed really cool.

I wish there was some kind of tutorial to explain the BlackBerry Z10 gestures in the carrier stores. I couldn't figure out the gestures when I played with a Z10 in a T-Mobile store shortly after its release.
    09-03-14 01:49 PM
    I ended up reading a blog post about webOS gestures on webOS Nation last year. That interface seemed really cool.

I wish there was some kind of tutorial to explain the BlackBerry Z10 gestures in the carrier stores. I couldn't figure out the gestures when I played with a Z10 in a T-Mobile store shortly after its release.
    I had the same experience when I first encounted the PlayBook. BlackBerry needed to have a series of commericials that showed people how to use it so that when people found one at a store, they could actually operate it.
    JeepBB and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-03-14 02:15 PM
    BlackBerry's balance sheet just on net cash worth was worth 13x what palm was worth, the fact that they got bought out so much was because hp made a mistake lol. Palm was worth like a couple hundred million at best BlackBerry has patents and many other things making it much more valuable.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-14 02:18 PM
    If you get a hold of BlackBerry 10 phone, you will know.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 03:57 PM
    Just for a record, Palm with webOS introduced unobtrusive notifications, account synergy, universal search, card based multitasking, wireless charging, gesture based interface, ota updates, cloud backup, web app implementation in OS core... features of future for that time.
    anon5288998 and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-03-14 04:08 PM
    Just for a record, Palm with webOS introduced unobtrusive notifications, account synergy, universal search, card based multitasking, wireless charging, gesture based interface, ota updates, cloud backup, web app implementation in OS core... features of future for that time.
    items that go too far ahead tend to fail... sega for example went far ahead with gaming console that wasnt ready for its time and they flopped as well lol.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-03-14 04:42 PM
    items that go too far ahead tend to fail... sega for example went far ahead with gaming console that wasnt ready for its time and they flopped as well lol.

The same thing happened to Microsoft with tablet PCs and smartwatches.
    NamelessStar likes this.
    09-03-14 05:23 PM
39 12